City Name Maps

Added credits section for the city name maps, see post 2:

Bigger contributors to the current city name maps:
(since the release of Beta 1, 2010.05.06.)

Byzantium: 3Miro, Kartoffelvampir, Michael Vick and AbsintheRed
France and Burgundy: Michael Vick, Voyelles
Arabia: Morholt, Michael Vick and AbsintheRed
Bulgaria: 3Miro, AbsintheRed
Cordoba and Morocco: Michael Vick and AbsintheRed
Norse: Sian, krieger546, Morholt
Venice: Morholt, Michael Vick
Germany, Austria and Prussia: Michael Vick, Morholt, Daffy, krieger546, Kartoffelvampir, HolyHandGrenade, AbsintheRed
Kiev and Novgorod: iOnlySignIn and AbsintheRed
Hungary: AbsintheRed
Spain and Aragon: Michael Vick, Mardouro
Poland: Morholt, AbsintheRed
Genoa: Morholt, Michael Vick
England: iOnlySignIn, AbsintheRed
Portugal: Michael Vick, Mardouro
Lithuania: Morholt, krieger546
Ottomans: Morholt, Kartoffelvampir and AbsintheRed
Muscovy: iOnlySignIn, AbsintheRed
Sweden: Morholt, krieger546
Dutch: Voyelles, merijn_v1

Earlier contributors include:
(every single part of the RFCE map was revised/improved/fixed since the release of Beta 1)
sedna17, micbic, jessiecat, Jusos2108, Verily, operafantom, Black Whole, onedreamer, Feyaria, Wessel_v1, JediClemente, st.lucifer

Special credit goes to Caliom, for his valuable WB coding
Other coding work connected to RFCE city names: 3Miro, sedna17, AbsintheRed
Just tell me if I forgot someone, and thanks for all your help!

Arabs now start with Tabariyyah?
I thought it was supposed to be Damascus?

I'm playing with the svn version.

Arabs now start with Tabariyyah?
I thought it was supposed to be Damascus?

I'm playing with the svn version.

The Levant, Anatolia and Egypt was totally revised a couple weeks ago
Most city name maps are not yet updated to these changes
The Arabian starting position is still Damascus

The German/Austrian map has already been in pretty good shape. I solved some issues with 3*3 city names (notably around Vienna, Prague and Belgrade), added Crusader city names in the Levant and increased the detail around Germany.

Attachments

• Germany_Austria_CNM.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    800.9 KB · Views: 49
The German/Austrian map has already been in pretty good shape. I solved some issues with 3*3 city names (notably around Vienna, Prague and Belgrade), added names in the Levant and increased the detail around Germany.

Great, thanks!
Will be up in the SVN (after some minor syncronizing) tomorrow, with all the other recent changes

What's the status on the city name maps? Is Russia still messed up like before?

A new Muscovian city name map was uploaded to the SVN last night, made by iOnlySignIn

So are all of the city names fixed everywhere on the map?

No, not yet
I'm in the process of updating all crusader civs' city names for the Levant, Egypt and Anatolia
Byzantium, Arabia and the Ottomans are still untouched since the map updates

There were some spanish names here and there that I translated and updated the names with the special characters that weren't used before.

But the job is far from complete. I would like to have the new CNMs of muscovy and england by IOSI added in a new portuguese CNM, can you do that for me Absinthe? Lots of portuguese names to be added to both regions (by now there are only 2 portuguese names in both regions, and moscow is probably in the wrong place)

Attachments

• Portuguese CNM.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    825.3 KB · Views: 41
As 2phunkey4you allready upload the Austro-German map I wanted to ask if you still need help with the Franco-Burgundian map?

There were some spanish names here and there that I translated and updated the names with the special characters that weren't used before.

But the job is far from complete. I would like to have the new CNMs of muscovy and england by IOSI added in a new portuguese CNM, can you do that for me Absinthe? Lots of portuguese names to be added to both regions (by now there are only 2 portuguese names in both regions, and moscow is probably in the wrong place)

It's somewhat hard to merge 2 or more bigger city name maps, at least if they have many conflicting areas (spots with two or more signs)
Also, I'm in the process of some changes in the city names, see next post

As 2phunkey4you allready upload the Austro-German map I wanted to ask if you still need help with the Franco-Burgundian map?

The french map is pretty good (one of the best IMO)
But the accents are missing
Would you like to update those?

There will be a new, generic city name map soon
Not replacing the current system, for some help in handling it

2 reasons:
Most importantly, there will be a definite reference for all city name maps, will be much easier to update all civ specific city names
Also, as I mentioned in the other thread:
This full generic city name map will be the base for name changes too
Right now, if a spot is on a civ's city name map, it will change to that name when the given civ acquires the city (settle/conquer/flip)
The problem is, that it will remain with it's previous name if it's not on the new civ's city name map
This may cause strange names in a couple cases, especially in muslim-christian conflicts
Or when 2 civs fight over a 3rd civ's core area, and one of the civs don't have specific city names there
So, this will be changed: if a city isn't on the given civ's city name map, it will change to it's name on the generic map

This means, that I will upload a base for this generic city name map soon (only with a couple signs)
Everyone can improve it, and we will continue it until all the spots are covered, and every place got it's historically and geographically correct name
Same rules for this as before

Perfect!

Actually I wasn't asking a merged CNM, but rather an updated file with my modifications and the others, as my intention was to flip from one to the other (I've seen this is possible in the WB, but to change back to mine I have to reload) to see the spots I must change.

But with this universal CNM it's enough.

Perfect!

Actually I wasn't asking a merged CNM, but rather an updated file with my modifications and the others, as my intention was to flip from one to the other (I've seen this is possible in the WB, but to change back to mine I have to reload) to see the spots I must change.

But with this universal CNM it's enough.

I would suggest to wait for the generic city name map before further updates for Portugal
Some city spots will probably still change, especially in the Kievan/Muscovian area

The french map is pretty good (one of the best IMO)
But the accents are missing
Would you like to update those?

Then I understood something wrong but no problem, I checked my keyboard and I noticed I could do "les accents". My French is a bit rusty so a check would be suggestable. ;)

Meanwhile I did practice a little with the Austro-German map although not really necessary but I recognized that the spot where Prague is actually cited was not named as Prag but Pilsen. I changed that so that there would be no trouble when flipping!

Attachments

• Germany_Austria_CNM.CivBeyondSwordSave
    121.8 KB · Views: 53
Then I understood something wrong but no problem, I checked my keyboard and I noticed I could do "les accents". My French is a bit rusty so a check would be suggestable. ;)

Alright, will upload the french map for accents when I have some time

Just a quick question, where in the files are the city name maps located? They're not in the CityNameManager -file as in regular RFC.

You can find the city name maps in the Worldbuilder under the "Enter Landmark Mode' (top right button if i recall correctly). There should be a drop down menu and in that a tab labelled 'City Name Maps'. From there another drop down menu lets you scroll between the city names for the different civs.

Just a quick question, where in the files are the city name maps located? They're not in the CityNameManager -file as in regular RFC.

City name maps are in the RFCEMaps.py file

You can find the city name maps in the Worldbuilder under the "Enter Landmark Mode' (top right button if i recall correctly). There should be a drop down menu and in that a tab labelled 'City Name Maps'. From there another drop down menu lets you scroll between the city names for the different civs.
Yeah we have a WB city name map tool
You can check the city name maps easily that way

Top Bottom