City planning and dotmapping

IroquoisPlisken said:
Since enemies will be coming mostly from the south, try to settle to the north of rivers.

Actually, our continent could stretch east-west in the northern hemisphere, with the other continent in the southern hemisphere. Still, settling north of the river is preferable of course.

Tubby you are correct extra food on the river. That's what makes it so huge to focus on river tiles. IP I agree we should settle north (inside) of the rivers.

Should blue go 1SW, 1S on the fp tile so it can get the wheat,forest and grass tiles? It could be a nice worker pump.

4th city coastal on the wines? It would set up a pretty nice ring.

I confess I'm not used to playing Agricultural, so I forgot about the river thing. The second city was placed on the assumption that it was desirable to get boats going without disrupting the Settler Factor at Simpleton. But the river, both for food and defense is important - that's why I'm learning from the masters... :worship:

I would say we needn't worry too much about the third city since I'm sure more will be explored before we are ready to settle, but if it is desirable to build 'inside the river, I think the second city will have to be moved east, down-river. It would loose the wheat, but it may gain more production in the long run.

The city center food bonus on the river will make up for the early wheat (unirrigated) and won't require worker turns.

The AGRI trait is a double edged sword without luxuries, however, and we run the risk of getting the science budget cut by the rapid pop growth.

By settling along rivers you also get the benefit of riverside commerce bonuses on two sides of the city center. The added commerce mitigates the effect of rapid population growth as well.

OK here is an updated map with some proposed cities on it.
- City 1 has a BG to the SW that is covered up.
- City 2 is on a grassland FP
- City 3 is on plains with wines.

EDIT: moved city #2 1 SW

EDITEDIT:: moved to a later post

City 1 has awesome potential, 6 BG's in radius + FP wheat + 7 forests on grassland (33% of grasslands are BG - so after chop could have more bg's)

The only one I'd consider adjusting is city 2 and move it the the SW FP square inside the river.

With the wheat, forest, bgs that city has worker pump potential.
It would give cxxc spacing to city 1 without crossing a river. Pretty important IMO.
It looks like it will gain another commerce tile that's in the darkness. We'll know soon enough.
It may lose the 3rd bg for a bit but that particular bg (non river) would be
developed much later anyhow.

Alright, I am coming to agree with both Tubby and Whomp on city placement. Besides, I believe I like the 'ring' that the river provides, is is becoming precious to me...

KB

updated map to move city #2 1 SW to the FP.

Sites as planned look good to me......:D

I didn't notice this in Daghdha's screenshot of Peapants in the the Turn log thread but there is incense down by the jungle to the south. So that is 2 native luxes that we can go after.

City #1 is correct. I think the original City 2 location is better (1NE of present location)(2E-2SE of capitol).

Gotta go with Bugs on the location for C2. Inside the river is nice but the extra bonus grass will make up for the defense bonus. Use the shields to build a wall if it's a problem :D

I'm with Bede and Bugsy on this one. City 2 on the grass 1NE. The rest looks fine to me, although I cannot see a straightforward way to fill the east without not using some tiles. But we will worry about that later :)

I defer to the brains of this outfit. Back to the old spot.

revered panda leader said:
I defer to the brains of this outfit. Back to the old spot
Ditto. Here is the revised (original) map

Top Bottom