Civ 2: Test of time question regarding limit on adding new units

@Civilize2 is already in the rules file - you don't need to create a new one and if you do who knows what may happen.

Here's a rules file with the extra techs that works that you can compare against your own to see what issues you may have. Sorry I'm at work. If you can't figure it out, if you post yours I can take a look later.
Thanks for the file example, I copied over the techs to @Civilize2 near the bottom of the rules but the problems persist. The file example you posted doesn't utilize the full 252 techs do you have an example that does?
Here's my rule file from the Midgard scenario which I'm currently working on. I've removed the tech requirements for several techs as nothing after 220 seems to work correctly.

Attachments

• Rules.txt
    81.7 KB · Views: 30
... nothing after 220 seems to work correctly.
Pretty sure that's because in your @ COSMIC2 section, you have
NumberOfTechs, 220
Change that to 252, to align with the number of entries in @ CIVILIZE and @ CIVILIZE2, and then maybe you'll be set. I think the structure of those sections is fine (not speaking to the contents, of course, but the number and placement of rows).

Pretty sure that's because in your @ COSMIC2 section, you have
NumberOfTechs, 220
Change that to 252, to align with the number of entries in @ CIVILIZE and @ CIVILIZE2, and then maybe you'll be set. I think the structure of those sections is fine (not speaking to the contents, of course, but the number and placement of rows).
No, that won't work. Expanding the tech past 213 and clicking on goals in the tech tree results in CRD. Expanding beyond 220 to 221 results in CTD when launching the scenario. At 221 I cannot find anything to progress. I'll continue tinkering with it tonight but if you have any other insights I welcome suggestions.

@DaggerDigwillow I had similar issues and in the end it was because of a missing comma between techs, there are so many lines I had a typo and I didn't notice it. I had to manually remove lines until I finally spotted the offending line. Just review line by line and ensure all commas separating attributes are present. I'm on holidays typing from my phone but this weekend I can have a quick look at your rules file you attached earlier.

Pablo

Pablo zeroed in on it.

Siege Experience, 3, 0, XDE, Med, 1, 2 ; XDE 222

You have 222 needing itself as the prerequisite which is causing the crash.

Edit - I looked around to see if anything else jumped at me because it's a little odd to me that you'd have the issue at 221 rather than 222 or even 223 given it all starts at 0, but see if the above clears it up or not and we can start there.

Last edited:
No, that won't work. Expanding the tech past 213 and clicking on goals in the tech tree results in CRD. Expanding beyond 220 to 221 results in CTD when launching the scenario. At 221 I cannot find anything to progress. I'll continue tinkering with it tonight but if you have any other insights I welcome suggestions.
Ah... so you set the @ COSMIC2 entry back to 220 on purpose because of the error you encountered, I get it now. I thought maybe this was leftover from earlier experimenting and you'd simply forgotten to update it when you tried to expand techs all the way to 252.

This additional info that you posted later, describing exactly what steps you followed and what happened, is extremely helpful when requesting assistance from others on the forums -- leaves me wishing you would have posted that originally. Just a friendly tip for next time. :) Hopefully the issue identified by @JPetroski resolves your problems, but let us know if it doesn't. Good luck!

Last edited:
I think I got it. Really can't believe I didn't see a number of techs defined as themselves but that's what I get for working on something in the late hours of my schedule. I've got 251 tech working and all 252 running. Tech 252 is not linkable to units it seems for some reason as I try to attach the floating eye to it but I'm not sure why as the game runs with 252 techs but crashes when the Floating eye unit is attached to it but the Floating eye can be attached to any other tech and the game runs fine.

SOLVED: One of the other problems in the game I see is that all the new techs show as astral projection with the pre-requisite techs and allowable techs showing now as what I've defined in the rules but as what is attached to astral projection tech in the original game. How do I fix this? (Needed to add these techs to the Describe.txt list but didn't need to add actual descriptions under @@ below the list)

Additionally, the Goal button issue in the tech tree persists CTD. I'll spend some time looking for missing commas but if you have any other ideas what could be causing it let me know.

Attachments

• Rules.txt
    81.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Top Bottom