Civ 3 Dock Icon

Welcome to the high definition world of the Macintosh, Sophie. Free broadband? :eek: Are we talking Birmingham Alabama, or Brimingham West Midlands here? Anyway, that icon is only 100Kbytes. You can download that in under 30 seconds over a decent modem link.

AlanH said:
Welcome to the high definition world of the Macintosh, Sophie. Free broadband? :eek: Are we talking Birmingham Alabama, or Brimingham West Midlands here? Anyway, that icon is only 100Kbytes. You can download that in under 30 seconds over a decent modem link.

Next year I move back into University accommodation (Uni of Bham, yes, West Midlands) where broadband is included in the rent - so OK, not really free; but ATM I have to pay for the phone calls of dial-up to get internet, unless I'm lazing around on campus so I can use their broadband, so I don't like downloading stuff. Student = cheapskate in most practical definitions! ;) But since you've said that, I think I may just download it anyway...

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but there's an excellent freeware program called 'Finder Icon X' (available from MacUpdate, etc) that, amongst other immensely useful features, allows you to copy and paste icons using a context menu instead of the 'Get Info' panel. The reason I bring this up is that it was able to paste one of these excellent icons overtop of the original Civilization application icon - I didn't have to use an alias.

ejday said:
Thanks! Glad you like it!

Normally, yes. For most objects - all folder and many applications - that will work. Civ3, however, is put together a bit different and I'm not sure how to do the "right" way. The closest thing I can come up with is to create an alias of the game, then do the "get info" copy and paste thing to the alias (which *will* accept it). Once your alias looks good, drag the alias to the dock instead of the original (and then tuck the alias somewhere out of the way in your Civ folder).

Good luck!

Um. :blush: Sorry, how exactly do I do this? I ctrl-clicked on the Civ3 alias, told it Get Info, and then clicked Copy on the Fruno_icon_v1.icns that I downloaded. (Thanks, Fruno.) But now what? :confused: Paste is greyed out in the Edit menu. Drag-and-drop doesn't seem to do anything either. I have OSX 10.3.9, in case this helps somehow ... thanks to anyone who knows how to do things without laughing at me!

Sophie 378 said:
But now what? :confused: Paste is greyed out in the Edit menu. Drag-and-drop doesn't seem to do anything either.

There's always another way ;) After you've Copied the icon, click the icon at top left of the alias's Get Info box and hit Command-V (the keyboard equivalent for Paste). It should work.

Top Bottom