1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 3, Windows Update KB3086255, & SafeDisc

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by Laurana Kanan, Sep 12, 2015.

1. MPK

MPK prince

@tjs282 .. thanks for that. The complete version I have is combined with all the Civ4 games on a single disc. Was chesaper to buy this combination than to buy Civ3 complete on its own. ( i have no interest in civ4 ).

I also have all my Civ3 folders/files attached straight to C:\Games\Civ3\

2. Loudspeaker

Loudspeaker Chieftain

Thanks for this help. I solved my problems by replacing the start up-files with NO-CD-files. Everything seems to work perfectly now, exept that you can not win a Space race-victory, as the game crashes when you launch your SS.

3. Antonin1957

Antonin1957 Chieftain

Count me among those who has installed my old CD version of Civ 3 on my Win 10 computer and tried to launch the game. Reading through this thread...I'm ready to just give up.

4. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

Antonin1957, welcome at CFC! :band:[party]

As far as I know, with Win10 only the CD versions of the Chronicles compilation and a German Green Pepper version are running, as Win10 doesn´t support SecuRom and these versions of Civ 3 Complete are running without SecuRom.

The next 12 hours Civ 3 Complete is on sale at GOG for € 1,29 and this version is running with Win10.

5. Antonin1957

Antonin1957 Chieftain

Actually, I was a member of this forum years ago, but I lost my account information. I started thinking about Civ 3 a couple of nights ago while reading "Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World" by Jack Weatherford. So I decided to try to install it. This game might be a good distraction during this difficult time. My wife has been stuck overseas since January because of the pandemic, and I feel very low and really need some distractions...

As I read the above comments it seemed that the process for installing and playing Civ 3 on Windows 10 is so complicated... I really hate Microsoft.

I don't know what GOG is. Is it a legitimate site? Anyway, you said the sale is for the next 12 hours, so it is probably over now. Oh well. Thank you for trying to help me.

EDIT: I looked up GOG, and I see that it's in Warsaw. Too close to Russia for me. These days I don't feel comfortable about giving credit card information or downloading software from any Eastern European or Russian company.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  6. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

The sale is still running for about 2 1/2 hours. After that you have to pay 75 % more (€ 5,09). I think it´s no problem to pay from GOG. The advantage compared to the Steam version is, that you don´t have a messed up labels text file in it and you can play it without any internet connection to that site. I have myself a Civ 3 Complete version bought from GOG and it is playing very well with Win10.

It is a legitim site (as it is steam) and you can pay via PayPal.

7. tjs282

tjs282 Socially distancing since 1975

Vote of confidence in GOG seconded over here.

I agree that one needs to be careful online, but GOG is as safe as any other online game-retailer, and much more customer-friendly than Steam. I've had a GOG-account for nearly a decade now, and never had any major problems with them or their games.

Before you re-buy the game though, have you already tried (and failed) to patch your CD-version using the legal NoCD .exe files in the 'Patchpaket' from the PCGames link (Germany-based, also legit, and still working: I just tested it) in Option 1 of Post #1 of this thread?

8. justanick

justanick Emperor

Poland is within EU and NATO.

9. Antonin1957

Antonin1957 Chieftain

I will consider trying to install the NoCD patch. But everything I read here about trying to install patches or modify files makes my head spin and makes me depressed. I'm not very good with tech.

But I really appreciate the advice.

Thinking about when I was a much younger man, in a simpler time, Civ 3 was a part of that...

10. tjs282

I know this reply is just a little late, but (for anyone who's looking at this thread recently) this is usually a video-driver problem, it has nothing to do with the SecuROM deactivation.

11. Antonin1957

Antonin1957 Chieftain

Some bad things are going on in that country. I prefer to keep my distance. Sorry.

12. tjs282

I'm no techie either, but I managed to install these patches without any major problems.

And now you have 5 posts, you should be able to use the private messaging system (="Start a conversation"), so you're welcome to drop me a line if you need help with anything.

13. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

Just an FYI, I finally got around to updating a couple things in the OP. (Sorry it took so long @tjs282 !) I've also asked for this thread to be moved to Tech Support and stickied.

If there's anything else someone feels that needs to be updated in the OP let me know.

need my speed and tjs282 like this.
  14. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

At your service... :salute:

need my speed and Laurana Kanan like this.
  15. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Don’t underestimate who I am. Moderator

16. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Hey, it's happening to everyone. Hang in there.