Civ-4 GOTM 01: Saves available

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by ainwood, Nov 24, 2005.

1. clut

clut Warlord

I decided to try uninstalling, deleting all directories, re-booting, re-installing, re-applying patch and trying again.

Game is currently re-installing. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

2. seven21

seven21 Chieftain

Game will not load with latest Blue Marble and patch!! Also tryed it with a different user on a clean version with the same result.

3. clut

clut Warlord

by the way... do other people get this message when installing the patch...

Error 1706. No valid source could be found for product Sid Meier's Civilization 4. The Windows Installer cannot continue.

at first I was a little hacked off at this, but the patch continued running anyway and Civ reported being Version 1.09 when I next loaded it up.... so I assume it updated ok.

4. Nightfang

Nightfang 'Pointy Stick' Scientist

Wrong, read my post over on page 2 of this thread, last post on the page. It does work, as I am playing it right now.

5. clut

clut Warlord

WooHoo.. after doing this ...

it works and I can load the GOTM ok. :D

am sitting here looking at the opening screen, although I don't think I'll play it yet... am not fully prepared and I don't want to hash the first one up!!

6. Jove

Jove Not Lacking Altitude

Arrrr, I just upgraded my gfx card 20 minutes ago, and here's 4otm#1 ready to go! I haven't played CIV4 at all yet, so I know I'm going to get sorely defeated...

7. scottxwl

scottxwl Chieftain

I've never downloaded a mod for Civ 4, ao I'm puzzled why I'm getting the same error message that everyone else is listing. Is it because I installed XFire when I installed the patch? I really want to play the GOTM, but not so much that I'm willing to go through the hassle of reinstalling everything.

8. clut

clut Warlord

I've just got mine working by re-installing civ, and i DID install xFire with the patch, so I don't think that is the problem.

It could be something really small, like have you enabled the flying camera in the options file somewhere, (simply changing a 0 to a 1), which is what I suspect caused mine to not work...

9. Androo

Androo Chieftain

Just wanted to chime in that I have 1.09 patch, latest version of Blue Marble, no other mods, and the save opens fine for me. I've got another game to finish before I start this one, but I thought I'd try to open the save to see if it would work.

10. Denniz

Denniz Where's my breakfast? Retired Moderator

I uninstalled/reinstalled and am able to load the save.

For those having problems, did you delete both sets of folders? "...\Program Files\Firaxis" and "My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4"?

I also rebooted before reinstalling. Hope you get it worked out.

EDIT: about Blue Marble, I can load with it installed. It looks like running CivScale will alter stuff in "Program Files", so I wouldn't try that.

11. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Thanks, Denniz - I think that's good advice (Deleting the files before reinstalling).

I am trying to write a utility to check the files, but it will take a while (especially because I need to find out which files are critical). In the meantime, I'm afraid its a reinstall required. :(

12. CorSaiR

CorSaiR Plugged in

I had that error but it looks like everything was correctly patched. I got all gameplay changes and I can play without any problems in multiplayer(1.09games), lan and now even gotm.:goodjob:

13. Xevious

Xevious 1 Solvalou left

Well, I've tried deinstalling, removing the directories, and then rebooting before reinstall/patch and it still gives me the modded error. Any other ideas?

14. Nightfang

Nightfang 'Pointy Stick' Scientist

Have you folks having problems cleaned out the game folder created under My Documents? How about clearing your cache by holding SHIFT while you start the game? If you don't clear the cache, reinstalling will just access the same cache (which is in My Documents and not removed during the uninstall) over and over again. If you used mods, they are in the cache.

Usually My Documents>My Games>Sid Meier's Civilization 4

15. Kal'thzar

Kal'thzar Deity

eh hehe, Downloaded for a first attempt at a GOTM then realised i had downloaded to maps and not saves.

I'm just not having a good day/night.

16. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

I hope everybody gets this thing running with minimal hassal.

For those who haven't yet attempted to load the save and may be hesitant to do so; I am happy to report that I have the latest build of BlueMarble and had no problems loading and playing the Save. No other Mods intalled.

17. Supreme Shogun

Supreme Shogun Warlord

Wish I could say the same. I have latest patch, Blue Marble, a flag pack, the custom clock mod. I've tried uninstalling and re-installing twice now. 2nd time I made sure to erase the dir in my documents.

I'm not even going to attempt a 3rd. It's not worth the hassle to me.
    Good luck to everyone else.

18. Bigcps

Bigcps Chieftain

Hello all,

After several frustrating uninstall and reinstall cycles, I found a fix so I could play the GOTM. I had originally installed CIV on my secondary hard drive (drive letter F). When I uninstalled and reinstalled to this location, I kept getting the message about the save being protected against mods, even if I had wiped the directories clean.

When I unstalled and reinstalled to the recommended location on my primary hard drive (C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4) and loaded the GOTM file, everything worked perfectly. I then reinstalled the Blue Marble mod, and that worked fine as well. However, when I tried to change the scaling settings for Blue Marble, I got the mod error again when loading the GOTM file. When I set the scalings back to the default settings in Blue Marble, the problem was gone.

I also installed the XFire app with the 1.09 patch, so that doesn't seem to cause a problem either.

So, if you haven't tried it yet, try reinstalling CIV to the originally recommended directory on your C drive rather than installing it in a different directory. That may not be the only problem, but it worked for me. Hope this information helps some people get their GOTM on. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a world to conquer :)

Charles

19. Stuporstar

Stuporstar Warlord

When you install the game for all users, the CustomAssets folder is located in the User\Documents and Settings\My Games folder, so I would assume that each user has a seperate Custom Assets folder. This means that if you were very good about keeping your mods to that folder, and individual mod folders, then logging on as another user would give you the vanilla version of the game. At least...so I assume. If this works, then making a second user account for GOTM might be more convenient than trying to uninstall your mods every time.

20. TLHeart

TLHeart King

I had trouble getting the save to load also, and here is my solution:

For anyone who has the blue marble terrian, and the civ scale program, here is what I had to do to get the GOTM to load.

Go into the scale program, and change all graphics to their original scales. Activate and restart CivIV. Now I am happy, I can play.

So simple of a change, just had to find it.