• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Civ 5 Art Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed one of mine so it isn't as squished, and edited the other slightly (probably not noticeable, but obvious to me at 800% zoom). I personally like the one with just the V better.

Attachments

• Civ5.gif
    Civ5.gif
    929 bytes · Views: 537
  • Civ5C.gif
    Civ5C.gif
    964 bytes · Views: 531
Gave it another go based on what some members wanted to see...

:)

My shot at it (see attachment)

I did a superscript "Ci" and a dominant golden V. I underlined the first part so the empty bottom-left corner of the image won't be awkward.

I changed one of mine so it isn't as squished, and edited the other slightly (probably not noticeable, but obvious to me at 800% zoom). I personally like the one with just the V better.
I think that for me, it comes down to these three (the V alone for the hex theme), which I think are the best of the three themes. Of course, for two the image did not quote, but they can be found by the included post links.

It is important to judge how they work in the size they really will be ... as some designs are clever and work well large, but not so well small. I think these three meet the works small test.

dV

What could be better than one V?

vvvvv_black.gif

vvvvv_grey.gif

5 Vs!

------

Edit: a more art deco sort of one as they say that's the overall look of the new game.

vgrey.gif

Well, pretty similar to other entries at this point but, for what it is worth:

Spoiler :

A couple more. I'd better make these the last ones though, don't want to get banned for spam :lol:

Art deco:

vad_black.gif

Like the Firaxis logo with illegibly small type:

vline2.gif

Alright, here's my first submission.

And then I thought, you know, the V is so iconic… why not just make it a giant V?
So here's number two.

Couple of notes:

The Civilization logo appears to be using the Futura typeface, perhaps a specific version just for capitals, though likely it's slightly modified. (You can see the curvature of the finials on the capital C and you'll notice they curve in more than a Futura capital C.) I typed the first image in Futura.

Also, this is a bit crude, but if someone wants to start with the 'V' found in the logo, here ya go (it's far from perfect). This is what I used before resizing and making small alterations in the second image.

Spoiler :

Over in one. The V is perfect.

I agree with the V

I like the simple ones the best, like the one from Ancestral, with just CiV.
I like them even better then my own :lol:. This is because altough the most of them may look nice in a larger size, they don't really look nice in such a small size anymore.

It should be easy to read, and clear to understand that's it's about Civ5.

I like the simple ones the best, like the one from Ancestral, with just CiV.
I like them even better then my own :lol:. This is because altough the most of them may look nice in a larger size, they don't really look nice in such a small size anymore.
Completely agree ... how it looks in the size of use is the key question.

It should be easy to read, and clear to understand that's it's about Civ5.
And not confused with Civ4 icon ... which I think limits some of the CIV motifs.

Now, does it have to be understandable to the whole world, or just to users of this site? For site users, the V alone (with or without hexes) would be clear enough, but not if you think it needs to be clear to "strangers".

dV

And not confused with Civ4 icon ...

I think the difference between the Civ4 yellow/gold "C" and white "IV", and let's say a white "Ci" and yellow/gold V is clear enough for most people to understand. Even more if you look at the capital "I" of CIV in comparison with the small "i" of CiV...

On the other hand...

Now, does it have to be understandable to the whole world, or just to users of this site? For site users, the V alone (with or without hexes) would be clear enough, but not if you think it needs to be clear to "strangers".

...i do think it should be clear to "strangers" what it means. Of course by strangers i don't mean people who never even heard of Civilization (the game that is :smug:), but i.e. people who never been on this site but know the game. A single "V" would be to cryptic for them in my opinion.

And not confused with Civ4 icon ... which I think limits some of the CIV motifs.

I agree. Going further and looking back at the first post with all the old icons side by side there's a clear contrast between

1: Gold on sky blue
2. Red and yellow on pink
3: Orange on bright blue
4: White and yellow on black

On the strength of that maybe ViniMGS (yellow and red on sky blue), or Nitram15 (white and yellow on silver) would be the most distinctive.

Going by precedent there's not much of an argument against just a "V" since Civ 1 is the only one containing more than just initials, and in the case of Civ 3 it is just the "III". V is also a nice symmetrical numeral - the last one till Civ X :eek:

I was trying to make one I thought it looked great then when I shrunk it down it looked horrid. So I guess I'm gonna stay out of this one. lol

Have fun making them they are looking pretty cool so far! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom