Civ 5 Confirmed Features

Status
Not open for further replies.
** ICBM - Demo ended with a bang. Reduced Monty's city from size 21 to 7 and spread fallout over multiple tiles like in Civ 4.

A somewhat more powerful nuke than that of Civ 4. Less powerful than that of Civ rev (it could destroy cities) unless it was fired upon Monty's capital.

In one of the screenshots we can pretty clearly see what almost certainly has to be chichen itza (not gonna look up how to spell it) under the civil service tech, so I think it's also safe to confirm also that civil service is what lets you build it.[/QUOTE]

Fixed my typo. "Chitzen Itza". The last three I listed were observed on a city screen, while Stonehenge was on the terrain view.

I've got a shiny new building for you! Well, not new because it was in past iterations but shiny none the less. Check out the BBC video here; news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10339301.stm at 00.58 to see the already common roman city screen WITH A TWIST!

A LIGHTHOUSE!!!

It looks like it says "+1 (something) from Water tiles. City must be built on the coast."
If anyone has the tech savvy to get a picture superior to a screenshot, could you please post it for ease of viewing? Plus the buildings are different on the right side bar, so there may be more info hidden in this shot.

Ok, I just had this thought and its kind of dumb and likely asked before, but if you can not stack units in civ 5, then what happens if you have a vast empire, and a huge amount of troops? Is it possible that there is no room to move or really eventually make more units? I mean it could happen in a small world right? If you have hundreds of units, I think you could maybe not move anyone around. I might just might be being stupid tho:(

I think the idea is that troops are more expensive so you would never be able to spam out enough to cover the map.

There is also the new scarcity of resources element so you are limited there too.

I imagine it would be possible to surround a unit so it had to forgo a turn but I do hear that you are able to jump over other units so the surrounding would have to be at least 2 Hexs deep.

Well, the way it's going so far, you either won't need or even might not be able to have that many troops.

Makes sense I suppose, thanks :)
I just hope that warfare is not simplified then with a smaller amount of units to keep track of

Thanks for the info silverdawn! If you have any info that you don't have any references to and confirmations, I'm sure everyone here will still appreciate it too... ;)

Makes sense I suppose, thanks :)
I just hope that warfare is not simplified then with a smaller amount of units to keep track of

I don't think it will be simplified just because of less units. If something it will be more complex, because you have to use/place units smartly etc. not just building a big stack of doom...

sorry if I don't provide the soure screenshots, but I remember seeing

workers
battleship
and Geneva as citystate

hope this helps...

Grassland - +2 Food
Plains - +2 Hammer, +1 Food
Marsh
Forest - units can hide/recover in forests
Jungle
Desert
Snow
Tundra
Hills - Provide defence to units on them
Mountains
Coast - +1 food, +2 gold
Ocean
Lakes
Rivers - Affects defence/attack bonus when attacking across it, +1 Gold to surrounding tiles

I analyzed the game footage from the Gamespot and CivAnon videos and was able to get some info about the terrain. The errors in the previous list are due to the golden age and to the mouse-over depending where it stops. In the GS video the japanese are not in a golden age so when the mouse stops over japanese tiles, one can actually see the correct terrain values.

Plains: +1 hammer, +1 food
Grassland: +2 food
Plain forest: unit hide/recover, +1 food, +1 hammer
Grassland forest: unit hide/recover, +1 food
Hills: +2 hammer
Coast (ocean): +1 food, +1 commerce
Jungle: +2 food
Tundra: +1 food
Ocean: nothing

From what I saw, golden ages provide one additional hammer and commerce to all tiles. Also roads seem to not give a +1 commerce bonus anymore. Forest tiles don't give any hammer which seems really unusual but the videos confirm that. Guess it makes chopping more obvious.

In the CivAnon video at 0:37, we can see three cities which are very close together. But two of them only provide 4 hammers, 1 commerce and no food at all so I guess they were captured and are now puppets govs. You can also see a great general just being born, it has a movement of 7 and no strength.

Ressources:

Bananas (with plantation): +2 food, +1 commerce
Horses (with pasture): +2 hammer, +1 commerce
Iron (without mine): +1 hammer, +1 commerce (you can see the quantity of the ressource on the map, seems random between 2 and 5)

Siege weapons promotions:

Barrage 1: +25% ranged combat strength against units in ROUGH terrain (hills, forest and jungle)
Accuracy 1: +20% ranged combat strength against units in OPEN terrain (no hills, forest and jungle)

Wonders:

Pyramids give free granaries, it's 100% sure (GS video 1:35, you can see a granary and a "(free)" behind).

[edit] Added some terrains, iron, siege weapons promotions, modified hill.

So does the culture tree replace goverments like civics in cIV or are there goverments on top of that?

Wow no Mongols... maybe they'll come in an expansion pack or something. I cant fathom the Civ franchise without the Mongols lol.

Glad to see Hiawatha and the Iroquois back as the representatives of the N.American native peoples. As I've said about other groups, the focus of the game is "civilization," and warfare is just a component. The Iroquois had the makings of small fixed communities, and were highly advanced diplomatically and politically. Had they not been caught in the middle of French/English/American geopolitics, they might have emerged from the era as a true civilization to be reckoned with. Only other tribe that I'd really consider for this status would be the Cherokee, who've never been in a Civ game, but have appeared in some similar games by other franchises. The Cherokee alone among North American tribes developed their own Alphabet. They also were sophisticated traders and diplomats and successfully copied by technology and philosophical ideas from Europeans. They actually practised slavery (not a moral plus, but it's at least an advanced concept) and were the equivalent of a ally of the Confederate States during the U.S. Civil War. So I like the inclusion of the Iroquois and would like to see Cherokees added as well. Nothing against the Plains Indians of the earlier games, but their highly important culture never approached what should be called "Civilization."

Ok, I just had this thought and its kind of dumb and likely asked before, but if you can not stack units in civ 5, then what happens if you have a vast empire, and a huge amount of troops? Is it possible that there is no room to move or really eventually make more units? I mean it could happen in a small world right? If you have hundreds of units, I think you could maybe not move anyone around. I might just might be being stupid tho:(

That wouldn't be a totally new issue in Civ, though for a different reason. In Civ 1 and I think 2 as well, it was possible to encounter a maximum units wall, after which you couldn't add a unit without killing one. It was a very high number, but I remember hitting it in ridiculous games more than once. (Eg. I could have crushed my one remaining opponent with his one city, but was experimenting to see how big my empire could get before I finished him off.) There may also be a max number in 3 and 4, but if there is, I've never hit it or heard about it.

sorry if I don't provide the soure screenshots, but I remember seeing

workers
battleship
and Geneva as citystate

hope this helps...

I saw Geneva and battleships in the demo I attended as I outlined a few posts ago. The battleship is also in the screenshots on IGN.

:lol:

I wonder what 6 social polices you need to put together to reach utopia? Historians will understand what I'm saying... :rolleyes:

Interesting about the meaning of the word "utopia."
It's a bit of a Renaissance pun using Ancient Greek, courtesy of Thomas More:

Eu-topia = Good place. And that's usually how it's read.

BUT

Ou - topia = NO place. And that's usually what you really get.

Do you think you can tell, heaven from hell?

About RANGED values:

Is anybody else being troubled by ARCHERY units getting ranged attacks, but a lot of GUNPOWDER troops not getting them?

A musketman should have a longer range than a basic archer.
A rifleman should have a longer range than any non-gunpowder unit.

This feature has not been though out very well. Even if they are striving for play balance, consider that the musketman (and later rifleman and infantry) largely replaced the advanced archer units as defenders of fortified positions. Range wasn't an issue in older games, but the promotion tree had this figured out. I haven't heard much about a promotion tree in this game, but I have to ask why I would ever give up my ranged unit for an only slightly stronger unranged unit. And anyway, logic says these gunpowder troops were ranged. One of the main reasons Rifleman beat Musketman is ranged accuracy, not strength. (Rate of fire is also an important difference. I've always thought we ought to see multiple attack capabilities per turn beginning with Rifleman.)

Comparitively speaking. Archers are to Melee weapons as Artillery are to Rifles.
(The ranges just scale down as the game goes on).

Technically your archer could get a shot from a hex away at my Infantry... but really who is going to win that war?

If you are still toting around archers vs. Infantry it doesn't really matter what range the archers are.

Is anybody else being troubled by ARCHERY units getting ranged attacks, but a lot of GUNPOWDER troops not getting them?

If gunpoweder units gets a ranged attack then all units in the modern era are going to get a ranged attack. Musketeers will shoot 3 so they have a longer range than archers, than riflemen will need to shoot 4, than cannons will need to shoot 5, than modern guns will need to shoot 6 - woops no need for tactics just pile on the artillery and do a little bit of recon.

The transition is a little bit awkwared admittedly, but I think that this is actually the overall best way - you just have to ignore some inconsistency in the transition and thats it, rather than have unworkable mechanics at the end game or very limited tactical options in the early game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom