Civ 5 Confirmed Features

Status
Not open for further replies.
The City-states have 1 vote in the UN for the diplo win....

Permanently? Never.
Firaxis themselves have to make the complaint, and by the time they do (if they do), there'll already be 100 other videos uploaded of the same footage.
That video is already uploaded 17 times under different accounts, apparently.

Also, even if you won't add the video to the front page, you should add any new info -from- the video.
It's official updates either way.

I am not going to add information from a showing that should not have been filmed, I'm sure the write ups of the demo showing will be out soon enough

And I already have the UN stuff updated

Same.
Can you make out what Rome's bonus says?
It's like 25% gold something somthing cities connected directly to the capitol.
Looks like towns attached to the capitol get a money boost.

Also, here's hoping Chichen Itza is -useful- this time. I never build it in Civ4.

Yeah silverdawn posted a link there explaining that.
Anyway the second part with the battle cleared all my doubts about the combat, it really does seem interesting! I mean now combat part of the game also provides fun. I can't wait. Why would they do that closed demo? Should be open... :crazyeye:

Yeah silverdawn posted a link there explaining that.
Anyway the second part with the battle cleared all my doubts about the combat, it really does seem interesting! I mean now combat part of the game also provides fun. I can't wait. Why would they do that closed demo? Should be open... :crazyeye:

Yeah, Firaxis screwed up on that one. Thankfully, a -few- people recorded it, and it's all over the web now.

I'm especially glad to see that the graphics look better in motion. A lot of the screencaps we've been before this month... looked kinda bad. I mean they're better than vanilla Civ4, but they fail in comparison to Blue Marble Civ4.

There is so much information in those two videos it's almost criminal it's being locked down. :mischief:

One thing they made a point to mention was how the change to hexes now supposedly removes ambiguity of diagonal land connections. What baffles me is that they claimed that before you could move ships diagonally across such connections as well as land units. This was not true for civ4 and it was completely obvious from the graphics anyway (showing a land bridge). It really doesn't make any sense that they're emphasising that point. I remember seeing it mentioned in one or more of the preview articles too. It's such a trivial point. It makes me think they're just trying to come up with some justification for the switch to hexes from squares.

There is so much information in those two videos it's almost criminal it's being locked down. :mischief:

Thank god for Dailymotion and other sites with looser take down policies.
And yeah, the new hex thing... it's just a stylisting thing they're trying to apply reason to.

In all honesty? There's not much of a real gameplay difference, speaking as someone that normally plays hex based strategy games. Most of their claims are not really true of the older civ games, like the realistic tile thing. You'll notice that even in Civ4 the textures aren't entirely square, and it doesn't look like you have a rectangle of desert or a rectangle of tundra.
The main difference will be in the actual combat, and that'll pretty much be it.

I'm a -tad- sad to see that there are no traits, as you can tell from Augustus's loading screen. He's got two UUs, he's got the Glory of Rome power, and that's it. I guess maybe when modmakers add in a new LH they can assign them their own unique power?
I'm just starting to worry more and more about the modding aspects, I guess. Firaxis's claim that Civ5 will be more moddable than Civ4 is more than likely wrong, given how detailed the LHs are, the "leader=civ" aspect of Civ5, etc.

I guess the last one can be fixed from a modding perspective by -removing- all of the Civ Special Powers, and then assigning all leaders their own unique leader-specific power.
Like... to give an example with China:

Mao Zedong:
"Little Red Book"
-25% war weariness, +2 happiness

Qin Shi Huang:
"God Complex"
Increases wonder production at the expense of happiness

Mao Zedong:
"Little Red Book"
-25% war weariness, +2 happiness
Yeah, because Mao's reign of terror is always thought of as a happy time... only 70 million or so people died.

Yeah, because Mao's reign of terror is always thought of as a happy time... only 70 million or so people died.

I'm not saying it was a happy time, I'm saying he kept his people in line enough to prevent much negative opinion from having an impact.

Maybe more of a slavery whipping bonus then... like less unhappiness from slavery... since the dissidents were all dead (at least those who dared mention it).

One thing they made a point to mention was how the change to hexes now supposedly removes ambiguity of diagonal land connections. What baffles me is that they claimed that before you could move ships diagonally across such connections as well as land units. This was not true for civ4 and it was completely obvious from the graphics anyway (showing a land bridge). It really doesn't make any sense that they're emphasising that point. I remember seeing it mentioned in one or more of the preview articles too. It's such a trivial point. It makes me think they're just trying to come up with some justification for the switch to hexes from squares.

I agree, but I don't think it needs justification in the first place. :)

I'm a -tad- sad to see that there are no traits, as you can tell from Augustus's loading screen. He's got two UUs, he's got the Glory of Rome power, and that's it. I guess maybe when modmakers add in a new LH they can assign them their own unique power?
I'm just starting to worry more and more about the modding aspects, I guess. Firaxis's claim that Civ5 will be more moddable than Civ4 is more than likely wrong, given how detailed the LHs are, the "leader=civ" aspect of Civ5, etc.

I'm personally not stuck on traits. Those special abilities seem quite strong and I think they'll provide more uniqueness to every civilization rather than leader.

I don't think they'll be calling it the Multiple Launch Rocket System in-game. Probably just rockets or rocket artillery (it was in CivRev as Rockets).

We Play Civ (http://www.weplayciv.com/) has audio from an E3 demo with Pete Murray that the site 2old2play attended. The comments on the 2old2play uploads on YouTube suggest they were permitted to release the audio.

Items confirmed from the audio:

* Gems - 5:16 - "A mine for gems"
* Notre Dame - 5:49
* Utopia Project - 7:12 - Unlocked by completing six social policy trees. If first person to then complete that world wonder, win a cultural victory.
* Geneva city state - 9:04

Part 2
* Geneva - 0:15 - cultural so will boost culture of ally
* Geneva - 0:17 - irrational personality
* Geneva - 0:20 - Giving them gold. They might also ask for you to build a wonder or build a trade route to them
* Geneva - 0:32 - After becoming friends are now getting a boost to culture. As long as maintain relationship, will continue to get culture and know can count on their vote in the UN.
* Stonehenge - 1:28
* Buy Newcastle - 1:48 - Use diplomacy to try to buy the city
* Unit surviving attack - 4:10 - A rifleman survived a cannon barrage and rifleman attack before being killed by cavalry.
* City has hit points - 5:50
* City capture - 6:30 - Can annex it (brings into your empire but suffer unhappiness), raze it, or turn it into a puppet (get advantage of its gold, culture and science, but can't choose what is built there; less unhappiness). Later can choose to annex a puppet if want to.
* Spaceship - 7:15 - Need to bring components to the capital to be assembled.
* Surface-to-Air Missile Launchers - 7:54
* ICBM consequences - 8:34 - Destroyed reputation with rest of the world so a diplomatic victory not likely possible

Video recording of the closed demos was not permitted. Firaxis asked YouTube to take it down.

Yeah, you've gotta go to Dailymotion to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom