Civ 5?

Mike Hussey

Cricketer
Hi, sorry I didn't know where to post this but;

Will there be a Civ5 or is one in production?

I downloaded it last week.

It's so awesome! It's better than Duke Nukem Forever!

Civ 5 is like SMAC 2: something that many of us would love but that will probably never happen. The prospect in no way breaks my heart because of all of the excellent mods available. The mods have become more and more sophisticated even to the point of modding the Random Events so that they're more interesting and make more sense (I'm lookin' at you, Antilogic!). I just installed the new 2.1 version of BAT and it makes a slew of improvements to the graphics and the user interface without changing the gameplay. It's great work like this by all of the tireless volunteer artists and coders that will keep Civ 4 fresh for a long time to come. So yes, Civ 5 would be nice - just not a necessity.

Yeah seriously, I'm even holding off on buying a new computer until Civ 5 is released. I can't understand what the hold up could be.

Another sequel to Civ is like a sequel to StarCraft, something that will never happen.

Oh, what's that? Whoops.

Civ 5 is like SMAC 2: something that many of us would love but that will probably never happen. The prospect in no way breaks my heart because of all of the excellent mods available. The mods have become more and more sophisticated even to the point of modding the Random Events so that they're more interesting and make more sense (I'm lookin' at you, Antilogic!). I just installed the new 2.1 version of BAT and it makes a slew of improvements to the graphics and the user interface without changing the gameplay. It's great work like this by all of the tireless volunteer artists and coders that will keep Civ 4 fresh for a long time to come. So yes, Civ 5 would be nice - just not a necessity.

Huh? Yay, I'm getting advertised! :D

I think what it really shows is that even with a token effort, you can put together a decent mod comp in Civ4. Some of the guys here and over at Apolyton like Rhye, Dale, Blake, and countless other guys appear to have a lot more time on their hands and it shows. :)

Play a mod. There are some very good ones out there.

Im adding my voice for a new SMAC. Seriously, that would be so awesome. They could take many of the civ IV concepts, as well as the engine, and then roll it into one package of loveliness.

Another sequel to Civ is like a sequel to StarCraft, something that will never happen.

Oh, what's that? Whoops.

Yes, now I know what my grandson will gift to their grandson for christmas : a pre-release box of SC2.

(I hope medicine will improve enough for them to see it)

Civ 5 is like SMAC 2: something that many of us would love but that will probably never happen.

Why?

I would say that there certainly will be a Civ5. They got a strong concept and as long as it makes money there is no reason not to make sequels. SMAC is a different story since there are copyright issues with EA having the rights to the name.

Civ5 in 2011 sounds about right to me :)

Civ 5 is like SMAC 2: something that many of us would love but that will probably never happen.

Of course Civ 5 is going to happen. It's a money maker and Take-Two needs the money. It's just a matter of time before they tell Firaxis to get to work on a new version.

Im adding my voice for a new SMAC. Seriously, that would be so awesome.

Can't happen, EA holds the rights to SMAC. And they aren't going to sell them to a competitor they were trying to buy out about a year ago.

Of course Civ 5 is going to happen. It's a money maker and Take-Two needs the money. It's just a matter of time before they tell Firaxis to get to work on a new version.

I very much hope that you're right and that Firaxis is secretly working on the game as we speak. The fact that games are a money sink until they're released doesn't bode well for Civ 5. Add to that the fact that many seem convinced that there must be a way to monetize social networking and I'm just not optimistic about the prospects for a Civ 5 in the near term.

I would say that there certainly will be a Civ5. They got a strong concept and as long as it makes money there is no reason not to make sequels.
Civ5 in 2011 sounds about right to me :)
My opinion exactly, although 2011 may be a bit optimistic - unless you mean Christmas 2011. :)
Such a timing would be perfect to me. There's still a lot I want to try in Civ4: new tactics, and especially new mods (BTW, Phungus didn't advertise his own LoR mod in his last post, so I'm more than happy to do it for him: it's an incredible mod. LoR is to BTS what BTS is to Vanilla Civ4).
And a new SMAC would be great. Let's hope they can work their way around the legal technicalities... If they can't, we'll just have to make our own SMAC mod... :)

My opinion exactly, although 2011 may be a bit optimistic - unless you mean Christmas 2011. :)

It's unlikely that we'll see anything in 2011 period. Firaxis has traditionally announced a new version long before a release is made in order to get input and ideas from the community. Since you can figure that it will take them at least a couple of years to create Civ 5, then 2011 just won't give them enough time to do all of that. Unless of course Take Two has forced them to change their policy about getting community feedback for any new versions.

If Civilization V were available today for pre-order, I'd buy it, even if it were two years away from delivery.

Of course, I'm one off those fanatics that registered for CivCon '09. :hammer2:

I'm still hoping for some core changes for the next Civ, but I love the existing mods. I can survive on them for many years, in fact, I doubt if I'll quit, whatever my options are. Civ is my hobby.

Top Bottom