Civ 5?

First, they would have to make the game SMP (Symetric MultiProcessor) enabled so as to take advantage of the now-ubiquitous multi-core CPUs. Second, they have to make it capable of addressing a lot more memory that it does currently. Those two items alone would necessitate a re-coding of the game. Absent that, all of the new features will cause the same slowdown that now plagues the game. Civ needs new features in the areas of trade, combat and diplomacy, among others. Then there's real 3D terrain, weather, and a few other things.

Isn't it just to add stuff but not improve graphics or maybe lower the graphics. I wouldn't mind a little bit less graphic quality for a better game

they need to start all over

get young smart programmers and new artists and get rid of everything

a tad of real time.

Being a programmer, I have to say that you can't make general statements like "They have to start over from scratch" to add some of the features mentioned above. The reality is that it depends upon how well or how poorly their code is structured.

If the code is well structured and/or OO, then the effort to retro-fit full multi-processor support may not be that bad. Poorly structured code could very well imply a re-write of chunks of the code.

At the end of the day, you always reuse some code since a major version never changes everything. You may want them to change everything but 99% of the time, it won't happen.

I have no idea the economic advantages of making a civ V but I'd love to see one (hopefully not for a few years so I can get well acquainted with IV ;) )

Starting from scratch or "adding a bit of real time" defeats the purpose the way I see things, the game is great, has a huge fanbase, and the original system on which the game runs is so classic and great it would be a travesty to mess with it too much.

Civ 5 is like SMAC 2: something that many of us would love but that will probably never happen.

Uh guys, you know SMAC is a Brian Renoylds game and not really a Sid game. He did most of the work there. I don't thinks SMAC 2 without Brian Renyolds would be the same. We would be greatly disapointed as when Civ III came out. Lots of people were pissed when Civ III came out. (Yes know it's refined and people say it's a good game now, but it SUCKED when it first came out.) Same thing can happen with SMAC II so hopefully Brian Renyolds will come back to the fold and then they can do the game justice.

As to Civ V, whos to say they are not working on it already. I think Firaxis and Take 2 would be Idiots if they didn't make Civ V.

Can't happen, EA holds the rights to SMAC. And they aren't going to sell them to a competitor they were trying to buy out about a year ago.

Another reason EA sucks :(

Top Bottom