Civ 6 with 25% at Green man gaming

Danthor

Warlord
Hello!

I just got an email update from Green Man Gaming with a 25% discount voucher for Civ 6 (pre order), both standard and digital deluxe editions.

I checked it on the shopping cart and it comes down to these prices:

GMG
Civ 6 standard: USD $45
Civ 6 deluxe: USD $60

on Steam I get these prices (I live in Chile):
Civ 6 standard: equivalent to USD $64
Civ 6 deluxe: equivalent to USD $83

The offer is only for this week, and I'm seriously considering it. Do you think Steam prices will drop/have a sale at some point before launch?
Or that there will be a better price somewhere else before launch?

You gotta be careful: They will have region coding on this one: Steamkeys for Europe,Africa,Middle East won't work elsewhere... Sorry Australia! I heard prices are high for you?

I preordered on Gamesplanet - deluxe for € 60,79 - standard is € 45,59 (minus 20% and additional -5% from writingbull- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aSRDII-yFo (german video)

I highly doubt they will have have a CivVI sale before release... But of course you never know...

Fair warning, GMG has gotten in trouble in the past for selling gray-market steam codes.

Fair warning, GMG has gotten in trouble in the past for selling gray-market steam codes.

I wasn't referring to GMG. Just a general remark because I hate this region coding stupidity-BS and don't wanna fall for a trap there.... :mad:
Personally I never had a problem with GMG...

They were 'in trouble' from Reddit. They list the source of every single key they send out. They are a fine site, you should not worry about buying anything from them.

I used GMG for Civilization V. The deals are real but with Civ V they ran out of codes initially and I wasn't able to get a code and play the game until almost a week after its release. So if you want to be guaranteed to play day one, I'd probably just fork over the extra cash.

You gotta be careful: They will have region coding on this one: Steamkeys for Europe,Africa,Middle East won't work elsewhere... Sorry Australia! I heard prices are high for you?

I preordered on Gamesplanet - deluxe for € 60,79 - standard is € 45,59 (minus 20% and additional -5% from writingbull- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aSRDII-yFo (german video)

I highly doubt they will have have a CivVI sale before release... But of course you never know...

Can you confirm this as factual? Or is it just what you think it is? I've bought EU keys from GMG in the past and they worked fine.

Also whats the voucher code? I only get 20% off which is actually less as its a base $70 usd instead of $60.

My recommendation: WAIT, don't preorder. Civ6 will inevitably launch with bugs and imbalances, hopefully minimized but still very likely game breaking. If you have the patience to wait (good discipline), then just wait. If you don't then go and download Vox Populi for Civ5 and have a LOT of fun while you wait for the first big civ6 patch, and the Christmas sale in Steam. ;)

I would personally just wait until perhaps a week or two after it's released. By then the major bugs will (hopefully) be fixed. That, or just wait for the Steam winter sale.

If you love Civ, why wouldn't you support the game and its developers by buying it at launch?

Waiting for sales is fine common sense for games you are only partly interested in or on the fence about, but something you are going to get thousands if not tens of thousands of hours in fun from is worth full price or slightly discounted even if you are on a budget, at least in my humble opinion.

Haven't pre-ordered anything on GMG, is it safe guys?

Yes, I've ordered multiple games and they've never failed to deliver. Only issue is for big releases you aren't guaranteed to get the code day one as their distribution is a bit slow with high demand

If you love Civ, why wouldn't you support the game and its developers by buying it at launch?

Waiting for sales is fine common sense for games you are only partly interested in or on the fence about, but something you are going to get thousands if not tens of thousands of hours in fun from is worth full price or slightly discounted even if you are on a budget, at least in my humble opinion.

I love CIV since 1991, and I have always purchased at launch even if I was thousands of miles south of Maryland... until Civ 5. Good lesson in patience that was, young Padowan. Sorry, but FXS will have to gain my "semi-blind" trust back after Shafer's Panzer General with cities. Granted, Ed and team managed to salvage that initial disaster, and I have trust in their abilities, but still... not there yet. Not at my peak trust levels of 2005, when I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition (and was finely rewarded for that).

I wonder how the preorders are going? I would think that people are leary after the disastrous launch of Civilization 5.

Well, after release Civ VI pushed second place in Steam's Preorder-list, only topped by Stellaris which had been released earlier.

Looks like lots of people are pre-ordering... of course they'll all being stupid and shouldn't have done that.

Gamers are notoriously desperate and forgetful when it comes to new releases :goodjob:

Hmmmm... not ALL gamers. I guess there is a strong correlation between type of gamer (as in casual vs hardcore, etc) and "rushiness" and "forgetfulness"... ;)

Gamers are notoriously desperate and forgetful when it comes to new releases :goodjob:

Yeah, that's true. Sad but true. :sad:

I still haven't forgot the launch of the last iteration of the franchise.

It's a little new for me as I've always bought each iteration/expansion as soon as possible until the last one.

25% off is nice but I'll continue to wait. :)

Hmmmm... not ALL gamers. I guess there is a strong correlation between type of gamer (as in casual vs hardcore, etc) and "rushiness" and "forgetfulness"... ;)
I think there is also a correlation between casual gamers and rushiness/forgetfulness, not only the (more desperate) hardcore gamers ;)

But what also matters is a company's track record.
Will they patch, how often and for how long.

Both Paradox and Firaxis have a good track records of this, even though their games are often buggy or unbalanced at release, they update their game quickly, frequently and for years.

That's why I'm not bothered preordering at one of those companies (and as such have already pre-ordered Civ6, just like I had pre-ordered Stellaris)

Honestly, I rather have the game on me, ready to play the second it gets patched up if necessary, then punish the current dev team for mistakes made by others years ago.

Launch sales are important in this industry but it looks like the game is going to do fine in that regard anyway, not that I see what is so bad about it. If you have the patience not to buy you can have the patience not to play for a short time while different computer compatibility is worked out. Same thing, no message is being received about not releasing half-finished games or whatever the cause being trumpeted is. Just a personal choice.

Top Bottom