Civ IV and Windows 8, do they work together?

DABegley

Warlord
I am going to put Civ IV/BTS on a new laptop tonight which has windows 8. Do the two cooperate? I have the disc versions of both Civ IV and BTS with and have the files for the 1.61, 1.74. 3.13 and 3.19 patches. On XP I installed Civ IV, ran the 1.74 patch, installed BTS and then ran the 3.19 patch. Is that the preferred method to install? Thanks.

Civ4 and BTS runs fine on Win8. I don't really think you'll need to install the 1.74 patch. Just vanilla, BTS and then 3.19.

The final patches for each version are included in the subsequent expansion, so Windsor's plan works.

My Win8 laptop can run Civ4 no problem.

What Windsor and Antilogic said.

I have Windows 8 on my laptop, and it runs BtS just fin :)

I've been playing mine (digital download) on win8 just fine, but haven't figured out how to make bug/bull work

A lot of mods will run into trouble if you install them in your My Games/Civ folder or whatever it is. Put them in the root mods directory and they should work better.

So, the answer to my questions turn out to be yes and no. Yes, Civ IV does run on Windows 8, at least it starts up and starts a game. I didn't go any further last night. I assume it will run on 8.1 as well when I upgrade. No, the suggested method of installing, Civ IV then BTS then 3.19, did not work. I installed Vanilla from disc and it installed fine. I then tried to install BTS and it choked, said the Civ IV version was not compatible with BTS. I then tried to install 1.74, it also failed. I tried 1.61 and it worked. I then tried 1.74 again and it now worked. I tried BTS and it also now worked. Just for paranoia sake I then did 3.13 followed by 3.19. They both worked, I don't know if 3.13 was necessary but did it anyway. BTS now started up. For some reason the shortcut icon was not created on my desktop so I have to find the game file to start it up but I can deal with that later. Thanks all.

Did you skip Warlords?

I'm pretty skeptical on installing more than one patch, the final patches for all versions should be cumulative.

I gave it my best shot antilogic but BTS would not install over the non-patched Civ IV and 1.74 would also non install over the basic Civ IV so I didn't have any choice. It does seem odd but it worked so I am not complaining.

Well, glad it finally worked for you! Maybe the BtS game doesn't have the vanilla civ patch included.

So, the answer to my questions turn out to be yes and no. Yes, Civ IV does run on Windows 8, at least it starts up and starts a game. I didn't go any further last night. I assume it will run on 8.1 as well when I upgrade. No, the suggested method of installing, Civ IV then BTS then 3.19, did not work. I installed Vanilla from disc and it installed fine. I then tried to install BTS and it choked, said the Civ IV version was not compatible with BTS. I then tried to install 1.74, it also failed. I tried 1.61 and it worked. I then tried 1.74 again and it now worked. I tried BTS and it also now worked. Just for paranoia sake I then did 3.13 followed by 3.19. They both worked, I don't know if 3.13 was necessary but did it anyway. BTS now started up. For some reason the shortcut icon was not created on my desktop so I have to find the game file to start it up but I can deal with that later. Thanks all.

In WIN 8, once you reach your desk top, click on the little folder icon that resides in your tray. This will take you to all of your files, folders, directories, etc. Click on your C: drive ( or where ever you have BTS installed) Programs(x86)/2KGames/CivilizationIV/BTS and you should see youe .exe file in order to send your short cut to the desktop and/or be able to pin it to your tray. WIN8 is a little odd, took me a bit to figure out how most of it worked.

I don't hate my computer or privacy enough to put Windows 8 on it.

Glad you got it to work in the end after all though.

I'm on Win 8.1 and it runs fine. No issues. Gets slow sometime but nearly no crashes.

BTS works on Windows 8, I have tried it.

Because I am fond of pressing the "windows" key while loading, my machine always switches automatically "Windows 8 mode". Sometimes it hangs due to that, arrrg! :mad:

I upgraded to 8.1 but haven't tried BTS yet. However the Microsoft compatibility center says BTS is not compatible with 8.1. Here's hoping they are wrong. BTW they also say BTS is not compatible with Windows 8 either and it at least starts for me in 8. That is for the Take 2 Interactive version 3.19 of BTS. Interestingly if you look up Vanilla Civ 4 the Take 2 1.09 version is listed as not compatible but the Firaxis 1.09 is listed as compatible. They don't list a Firaxis version of BTS. The Take 2 version of Civ complete is listed as compatible. My head hurts.

Civ 4 is running on my son's brand new Surface with Windows 8. He has Civ 4 complete, but did need to install 3.19. We have a LAN game going. It has been stable for over 100 turns. He had problems with BAT/BUG mod, but I will give him the forum tip about the root mod folder.

Civ 4 is running on my son's brand new Surface with Windows 8. He has Civ 4 complete, but did need to install 3.19. We have a LAN game going. It has been stable for over 100 turns. He had problems with BAT/BUG mod, but I will give him the forum tip about the root mod folder.
Isn't that weird. I still run Win 7 (and 8) but for the first time ever I've had to use AltRoot.py with BAT. It's a fresh install. I've never had to do it before this last installation. Oh well, it's easy to do. It's just knowing about it. Let me know if you have any problems getting it going.

Not sure what he did, but he has full BAT installed now and running. Looks pretty darn good on that little screen. Some things he accomplishes by full on OCD persistence of trying everything whether it makes sense to some other tech person or not. So, I have no idea what his problem or solution was. All I know is he is happy and playing and I am happy for him.

It is a lesson in letting people solve things in their own style. I don't have to understand it for it to work for someone else. I have watched him pick old combination locks by trying iterative possibilities until he got in. It would drive me bonkers. In fact, he frequently does drive me bonkers.

But I still beat him at Civ, so all is well in my world. ;)

Well, I'm glad he was able to get it working. :)

A lot of mods will run into trouble if you install them in your My Games/Civ folder or whatever it is. Put them in the root mods directory and they should work better.

If you get the chance to answer, where is the 'roots mod directory' and how does one go about accessing it/putting mods into there. I didn't know you could put in in somewhere other than my games, then the civ folder.

Top Bottom