Civ IV: Colonization

Good news, IMO. I always liked replaying the colonization eras of history.

With it being a civ 4 total conversion, I hope that means it will be cheap. Thinking along the lines of $19 and I am all over it.
That would be nice, but if it's as good as the original COL, I'd be willing to pay one month of my salary. No kidding.

The only way you're going to see SMAC II is if EA buys out Take Two, as they hold the rights to the game. And frankly I don't want to see that happen. I think their concept of what makes a good game sucks and we would probably see the end of the Civilization series as we know it.
Ok...

Zacharov, a new era of struggle and oportunity awaits for you. The UN starship Unity has arrived to Proxima Centauri :p System after a fourty years voyage. All contact with Earth has been lost. After Captain Garland (... )

Good enough ? ;)

But I agree that EA has the bad taste of Simsmorph all the games that it grabs ( I :cry: about what they did to command and conquer..... ). Let's pray to Civ doesn't get there.....

I really dont see this delaying Civ5 by long.

Whereas the CIV series drives my laptop purchases ( a bigger and better machine to run a bigger and better game) and Vista still seems to be part of the problem rather than part of the solution, I
'm happy to have them working on anything else but CIV V at this time.

EA owns the rights to SMAC? Thats horrible. All EA knows how to do is ruin good game franchises (C&C) and remake the same football game every year. Its funny to imagine a bunch of guys sitting around a TV pretending to play football, when they could just play football. Fear my assault mechs Electroic Arts!

EA owns the rights to SMAC? Thats horrible. All EA knows how to do is ruin good game franchises (C&C) and remake the same football game every year. Its funny to imagine a bunch of guys sitting around a TV pretending to play football, when they could just play football. Fear my assault mechs Electroic Arts!

What are you talking about, EA often takes great pains to make its football series worse most years. Introducing new glitches at 2x the rate they fix them is protocol, they probably keep a sign with such instructions wherever they do programming.

This year, only the receivers will jump for high bullet passes, and crappy no-names can one-hand multiple catches per game. Oh yes, and flipping the play and running defenses with 3 down lineman and 1 linebacker is an effective run stopping defense. Realistic.

I'm a good player in it too. I'm 94-27 or something in 08, but it's ridiculous, yet far from the worst I've seen (their "upgrades" in ncaa football 2006 and madden 2007 were game-breaking in a BAD way, both eventually forcing me to stop playing them altogether.).

yeah, I wonder how they're going to handle all the raw material mechanics and stuff. that's a pretty radical change from civ IV. also the european port.

I wonder these things as well. Maps in colonization were Flat, not wrap around, and the edge of the map would take you to Europe. Also tiles that I think were ocean as apposed to coast would give you the sail to europe popup without having to be at the map edge. This seems pretty doable with CIV as a popup box "Sail to Europe?" on "ocean" tiles not sea or coast.

The raw materials was probably more work hehe. They did say a new UI. The original had raw mats for the city in the city screen, as well as an advisor that showed goods for all cities.

The screenshots from that link by the OP clearly show a colonist being constructed at a colony, an expert silver miner, unless that is a seperate queue being shown for a Schoolhouse or University, and not the Carpenters' / Lumbermills' build. fun stuff, I'm going to look for more screenies :)

Man, i was playing FreeCol for a while and it was very much fun. So I imagine this will be quite fun too.

As far as resource diversion from Civ 5 goes, they probably did this with a pretty small team. I imagine they have a relatively small team working on pre-production for Civ 5, the bulk of their workers finishing up Civ Rev. Then when it's done the bulk of those people will work on Civ 5 with a small team doing DLC.

I wonder if EA would ever consider selling Sid the rights to SMAC.

I would give my first born son for SMAC II.

Whats wrong with C&C franchise (C&C renegade?)? I've been playing since the first C&C and they've been getting better imho, not worse. I do have my gripes about EA, but C&C is not one of them.

Whats wrong with C&C franchise (C&C renegade?)? I've been playing since the first C&C and they've been getting better imho, not worse. I do have my gripes about EA, but C&C is not one of them.

I haven't tried Renegade but Generals absolutely sucked. I ended up trading in my disk at EB Games. I have the new Tiberium Sun but haven't really played it yet. My all time favourite was the original Tiberium Sun and the expansion. They just haven't been as good since then IMO.

I played this game to death,the feeling of sheer panic when those redcoats start landing. . . . I can still feel it now

wow I am stoked about this!

Just 2 weeks ago I was playing Colonization DOS version (I still have the original box and disks and manual), not the later windows 3.1 version, and I thought to myself "I wish they would put out a colonization remake".

Uggg! I bought that game when it came out. Worst, most boring, game I've ever played. It turned me off Sid's games for years.

I think it's funny how so many of you think it's like a MOD just because it uses the same engine. Would you call Half Life a Quake-MOD, Red Alert a Tiberium Dawn MOD or Sam'n'Max just a Day of the Tentacle MOD?
I don't think so.
But back on topic. I loved Colonization and I'm really looking forward to this. Especially now that I can play it with friends via Internet.

Colonization was an excellent cousin of Civ, I still got it somewhere - I used to love old King George turning up from time to time saying "Kiss my Pinkie ring" remember that?

I always wanted to be able to ally with the Iroquois/Mohicans to stick it to the other European colonizers, with the Civ IV diplomacy sophistication this could mean more 3am finishes..........

I played this game to death,the feeling of sheer panic when those redcoats start landing. . . . I can still feel it now

I was always underwhelmed by that myself, since they were so easy to beat. They always landed in the same spots with just a handful of troops each time, so my massive forces wiped them out easily. I used to have so many units that I wasn't able to build anymore due to the cap that was in place. So the final battles were always a cakewalk for me.

Top Bottom