Civ IV Diplomacy Features Mod

I must say, Putmalk, this is very impressive. I do have one question though-I remember Civ4 having a greater variety of AI moods, whereas I feel that Civ5 is more *binary*. For instance, my recollection of Civ4 moods was : Enthusiastic, Friendly, Pleased, Neutral, Cautious, Annoyed & Furious. Whereas in Civ5 I feel like we're limited to Friendly, Neutral, Guarded & Hostile (oh, & afraid....but that seems to be a subset of Guarded/Hostile). Does your Civ4 Diplomacy features Mod also bring back these moods....or are we stuck with those in Civ5? If the latter, do you have any future plans to do so?
Oh, one other question. Even though it wasn't in Civ4, I was wondering if you had any plans to allow something beyond DofF's? Maybe its just me, but I'd love to see full-blown Alliances in the game-like DofF's, but with greater benefits for both parties (in terms of trade income, tourism, likelihood of receiving good trade deals in negotiations, greater benefits from Research Agreements-for both parties-& possibly even shared benefits from City-State Friendships/Alliances).

Indeed, it is the more nuanced relations you can have with City-States that made me felt that something like that could work with Major Civs as well. I'd be interested in your thoughts on this but, in the meantime, congrats on this amazing mod :).

Aussie.

Thanks a ton buddy.

1 - still stuck with the default civ5 ones. Perhaps a mood pass will come, but it's a ton of work (a ton of references to the new moods would have to be added). It's a massive update to rewrite the moods from scratch, which is why I haven't. No future plans for this.
2 - are you referring to permanent alliances? these are on the drawing board - nothing confirmed yet, but I want to see what I can do for them. Although they might not be in until july or something, if I do decide to implement them. I haven't designed them at all yet.

Thanks a ton buddy.

1 - still stuck with the default civ5 ones. Perhaps a mood pass will come, but it's a ton of work (a ton of references to the new moods would have to be added). It's a massive update to rewrite the moods from scratch, which is why I haven't. No future plans for this.
2 - are you referring to permanent alliances? these are on the drawing board - nothing confirmed yet, but I want to see what I can do for them. Although they might not be in until july or something, if I do decide to implement them. I haven't designed them at all yet.

1. Yes, someone explained to me how difficult this actually was (I thought it would be much easier but, then again, I haven't tried modding Civ5 before ;) ). It'd be great to see a move away from the more binary moods of Civ5, so I will continue to keep my fingers crossed :).

2. In a manner of speaking-though without the "permanent" part perhaps. I was just thinking how, with City States, full Alliances are just much stronger versions than Friendship...& so I was wondering if such a thing could be done with Major Civ relations...I confess, though, that my other inspiration was the Permanent Alliance in Civ4. Basically shared resources, shared intelligence, greater trade & tourism benefits & shared City-State benefits (& perhaps open borders & defense pact assumed).

Anyway, Putmalk, thanks for the reply, & thanks again for the amazing mod :).

Aussie.

Lua.log error (only v10.03 installed, no other mods)

Code:
[25068.019] Runtime Error: C:\Users\William\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Civ IV Diplomatic Features (v 10)\UI\InGame\WorldView\TradeLogic.lua:465: attempt to index field 'CancelButton' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	C:\Users\William\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Civ IV Diplomatic Features (v 10)\UI\InGame\WorldView\TradeLogic.lua:465: in main chunk
	=[C]: in function 'include'
	Assets\UI\InGame\Popups\DiploCurrentDeals.lua:5: in main chunk
	=[C]: ?
[25068.019] Runtime Error: Assets\UI\InGame\Popups\DiploCurrentDeals.lua:183: attempt to index field 'HistoricDealsButton' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	Assets\UI\InGame\Popups\DiploCurrentDeals.lua:183: in main chunk
[25068.019] Runtime Error: Error loading Assets\UI\InGame\Popups\DiploCurrentDeals.lua.

and a few lines later

Code:
[25070.343] LeaderHeadRoot: Could not find discussing player!
which is weird as this is during setup when I've not even started myself, let alone met anyone!

Code:
[25068.019] Runtime Error: C:\Users\William\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Civ IV Diplomatic Features (v 10)\UI\InGame\WorldView\TradeLogic.lua:465: attempt to index field 'CancelButton' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
	C:\Users\William\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Civ IV Diplomatic Features (v 10)\UI\InGame\WorldView\TradeLogic.lua:465: in main chunk
[25068.019] Runtime Error: Assets\UI\InGame\Popups\DiploCurrentDeals.lua:183: attempt to index field 'HistoricDealsButton' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[25068.019] Runtime Error: Error loading Assets\UI\InGame\Popups\DiploCurrentDeals.lua.

and a few lines later

Code:
which is weird as this is during setup when I've not even started myself, let alone met anyone!

I'll check it out.

Code:
stack traceback:
stack traceback:

and a few lines later

Code:
I have this error too.

Definitely enjoying this mod, but I may have run across an issue:

Napoleon went to war with Theodora.
Theodora capitulated to Napoleon.
Theodora and I were quite friendly - open borders, research agreement, trade.
I went to war with Napoleon. Which meant Theodora went to war with me of course.
Wiped him out. Never attacked any of her cities - in fact I liberated two of her cities to her while still at war with her and Napoleon.
Now that Napoleon is toast, I should be able to negotiate peace with her, but she's stuck on the 'refusal to negotiate' like she would if she were a vassal state.

Anyone else had this happen? Granted, it's only been about 4-5 turns since I wiped Napoleon out and in the relations screen it doesn't show that she's a vassal to anyone.

Definitely enjoying this mod, but I may have run across an issue:

Napoleon went to war with Theodora.
Theodora capitulated to Napoleon.
Theodora and I were quite friendly - open borders, research agreement, trade.
I went to war with Napoleon. Which meant Theodora went to war with me of course.
Wiped him out. Never attacked any of her cities - in fact I liberated two of her cities to her while still at war with her and Napoleon.
Now that Napoleon is toast, I should be able to negotiate peace with her, but she's stuck on the 'refusal to negotiate' like she would if she were a vassal state.

Anyone else had this happen? Granted, it's only been about 4-5 turns since I wiped Napoleon out and in the relations screen it doesn't show that she's a vassal to anyone.

As long as she's not a vassal (the GetMaster() function returns NO_TEAM) then it should not affect her ability to change war/peace.

However, it is possible that I did not clean up vassalage correctly after a team is defeated. So I am going to check on that. Thanks!

edit: Well for version 11 I cleaned it up, thanks for letting me know about to issue:

Code:
if (!GET_TEAM(getTeam()).isAlive())
{
	for (int i = 0; i < MAX_TEAMS; i++)
	{
		TeamTypes eTheirTeam = (TeamTypes)i;
		if (getTeam() != eTheirTeam)
		{
			// close both embassies
			GET_TEAM(getTeam()).CloseEmbassyAtTeam(eTheirTeam);
			GET_TEAM(eTheirTeam).CloseEmbassyAtTeam(getTeam());

// cancel any research agreements
			GET_TEAM(getTeam()).CancelResearchAgreement(eTheirTeam);
			GET_TEAM(eTheirTeam).CancelResearchAgreement(getTeam());

// Putmalk - end any vassalage
			GET_TEAM(getTeam()).GetTeamVassals()->EndVassal(eTheirTeam, true, true);
			GET_TEAM(eTheirTeam).GetTeamVassals()->EndVassal(getTeam(), true, true);
		}
	}
}

Thanks Putmalk! One other thing I did notice - I used the In Game Editor to switch to Theodora and have her make peace with me. However, when I was then able to enter the diplomacy menu, the Vassal State option was still greyed out and when I moused over it, it said that she was a Vassal still to another state. Seems as though she wasn't released when Napoleon bit the dust.

Oh well, that's a bummer....I tried to run this mod with "Health & Plagues" & "Corporations" mods in place as well....& I ran into issues just as you warned, Putmalk ;-). That's a terrible shame, as these 3 features are some of the things I miss most from Civ4 (aside from advanced espionage options).

I guess there is no chance that you, or WHoward, might be looking at making these kinds of mods compatible? If not, that's cool, I'll just run different games with different mods in place.

Anyway, on another note, I have some suggestions I'd like to make (which kind of fit in with the whole Civ4 Diplomacy Options theme).

In Civ4, IIRC, you had the option to change Civics & Change State Religion as a trade option. Now obviously that option can't be exactly replicated in Civ5...but I was wondering if a similar effect could be simulated?

In place of "Change Civics", perhaps you or the AI could ask/demand that a Civ pursue a certain Social Policy. If the Civ says yes, but then fails to advance by a certain number of policies....within a set number of turns (similar to the promise not to settle/not to spy mechanic) then you get a reputation hit, but get a reputation bonus if you succeed.

Similarly, a religion founder might ask you to spread their religion for you. If you say yes, then proceed to do so, then you get a reputation bonus for doing so (again, using a mechanic similar to the "do not settle/spy" system of promise keeping).

Anyway, don't know how possible these would be to implement, but just putting it out there as a "thought bubble" ;-).
Keep up the fantastic work, though :).

Aussie.

Oh, quick update, the only other mod I have with custom .dll is City-State Diplomacy, so that must be the cause of my incompatibility issues. I have been informed on how to fix that issue, though, so no dramas :).

Aussie.

Found a glitch; when a leader peacefully lets you break away from vassalage, it says that he declares war for some reason. Caused some confusion the first time.
Spoiler :

Found a glitch; when a leader peacefully lets you break away from vassalage, it says that he declares war for some reason. Caused some confusion the first time.
Spoiler :

Thanks for the report! Incorrect leader message type thrown, fixed!

Hi Putmalk. I don't know if this is a bug, or whether it is meant to look like this, but this is what I am seeing in my diplomacy screen.

Am I meant to have every tech available from the start of the game?

On a related note, do you have a file where people can switch certain aspects of Civ4 Diplomacy off, & certain aspect of Civ5 diplomacy back on? I'm primarily talking about replacing tech trading with research agreements.

Thanks in advance :).

Aussie.

On a related note, do you have a file where people can switch certain aspects of Civ4 Diplomacy off, & certain aspect of Civ5 diplomacy back on? I'm primarily talking about replacing tech trading with research agreements.

@Aussie: It is possible to disable Tech Trading and reenable Research Agreements in the Advanced Setup screen.

@Putmalk: Please add an option to disable Map Trading.

Hi Putmalk. I don't know if this is a bug, or whether it is meant to look like this, but this is what I am seeing in my diplomacy screen.

Am I meant to have every tech available from the start of the game?

Thanks in advance :).

Aussie.

Thats a bug, are you running other mods?

Thats a bug, are you running other mods?

Yes I am, but the only .dll ones are being run through WHoward69's Mod Components DLL, so I don't see how it can be causing this issue. If I can disable tech trading & re-enable Research Agreements, then it won't be any big deal though.

Aussie.

Yes I am, but the only .dll ones are being run through WHoward69's Mod Components DLL, so I don't see how it can be causing this issue. If I can disable tech trading & re-enable Research Agreements, then it won't be any big deal though.

Aussie.

I really can't debug issues with other mods, since I only test my mod with my mod only. If you're loading multiple DLLs, then one DLL won't load and issues will arise.

I really can't debug issues with other mods, since I only test my mod with my mod only. If you're loading multiple DLLs, then one DLL won't load and issues will arise.

Oh, but WHoward's Mod Comp is designed to run your mod & City-State Diplomacy off the same .dll, so I doubt that's the cause of the bug.

Oh, but WHoward's Mod Comp is designed to run your mod & City-State Diplomacy off the same .dll, so I doubt that's the cause of the bug.

Bad assumption. Merging three code-bases will always be subject to human error so ...

Para 3 under Support in the main post of the combined DLL thread ...

"Any problems found in the combined DLL with features of individual mods MUST be tested with only the specific mod enabled before being reported as a bug. That is, if you find a problem with vassalage (say) while using the "DLL - Various Mod Components" mod, you MUST re-test with only the original "Civ IV Diplomacy Features" mod enabled before reporting it as a bug."

Top Bottom