Civ Palace Architecture

Which palace is the best in terms of appearance?

• Kongo

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • America

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Aztec(Shared with Brasil)

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Egypt(Shared with Sumer)

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Japan

Votes: 15 10.5%
  • China

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • France(Shared with England, Norway, Germany,Russia)

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Rome(Shared with Spain, Both Greeces, and Macedon)

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • India(Shared with Scythia,Arabia, Persia)

• Australia

• Poland

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Nubia

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Khmer(Shared with Indonesia)

Votes: 19 13.3%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • Korea

Votes: 4 2.8%

• Total voters
Rio de Janeiro classical era.jpg

Here's an image of Rio de Janeiro during the Classical Era.

Here are the City-state's palace types:
Amsterdam-European
Antananarivo-Kongo
Armagh-European
Auckland-European
Brussels-European
Buenos Aires-Aztecs (as with Brazil, strange choice)
Carthage-Egypt
Geneva-Rome
Granada-Egypt (another strange choice, India would've fit more)
Hattusa-Rome
Hong Kong-Japan
Jakarta-China (would really like a unique SE Asian palace when Indonesia is released)
Jerusalem-Rome
Kabul-India
Kandy-India
Kumasi-Kongo
La Venta-Aztecs
Lisbon-Rome
Mohenjo-Daro-India
Muscat-Rome (a strange choice, India should've been used)
Nan Madol-China (I think Aztecs would've been a better fit)
Palenque-Aztecs
Preslav-Rome
Seoul-Japan
Stockholm-European
Toronto-America
Valletta-Rome
Vilnius-European
Yerevan-European
Zanzibar-Kongo

The funny thing is that Jakarta, Nan Madol, Hong Kong and Seoul used to have the generic European palace during the game's release.

Hattusa - Rome is also some surprise... not that the Egypt one would be a perfect fit, but still...
I'm surprised the DLC palaces like Poland were not used for CS when they came into the game. So I don't have too much hope for Jakarta.

The Polish Castle seems to be based on Moszna Castle.
That's a bit of a relief. Nothing against Romania or anything, but that region's pretty crowded right now and it's not going to get any better as veterans return. Even if we had to have another newcomer from that area, I'd kinda lean toward some version of Hungary.

It's cool, at any rate. Probably the best one.

Due to Lithuania's long history with Poland, I would assume the Polish Palace would be a better fit for Vilnius than just European.
I'd kinda lean toward some version of Hungary
Same, well that and Finland.

I'm no expert on Hong Kong's history or architecture, but I would have guessed it would use China's, not Japan's. Any thoughts on why this way?

Maybe they thought the golden Chinese palace was too fancy for Hong Kong?
I'm of the opinion that Hong Kong shouldn't be a City-state at all. It's been a part of Chinese civilization for as long as it existed.

Maybe they thought the golden Chinese palace was too fancy for Hong Kong?
I'm of the opinion that Hong Kong shouldn't be a City-state at all. It's been a part of Chinese civilization for as long as it existed.
Yeah but maybe that area had to be conquered by China. The British dominion would be like ceding the conquered city-state to England.

Brasil's is definitely in need of a change.

Probably to emphasize Canada's close relationship to the USA. Or they assumed their government buildings are similar to US ones.
If Canada were its own civ and it has a building resembling the US Capitol, it would be cringe-worthy, though to be fair, Ottawa's Peace Tower (part of Centre Block) looks similar to Big Ben.

The Polish one makes the most sense for Canada judging by the Parliament building, maybe just give it a green roof to distinguish it? Or just keep it the same, it's pretty accurate actually.

But, If we had anything approaching a national architectural style, I think it would unfortunately have to be Brutalism. For some reason our government loves its Orwellian slabs of imposing concrete.

Last edited:
The Polish one makes the most sense for Canada judging by the Parliament building, maybe just give it a green roof to distinguish it? Or just keep it the same, it's pretty accurate actually.

But, If we had anything approaching a national architectural style, I think it would unfortunately have to be Brutalism. For some reason our government loves its Orwellian slabs of imposing concrete.

Robarts Library, one of the archetypal examples of Canadian Brutalism

Something Chateauesque would work well for Canada since our landscape is dotted with them and they're found across the country.

I really want a unique Southeast Asian palace though...
Neither India's Islamic looking domed one or the Chinese/Japanese one works for Burma, Khmer, Siam, Champa, Malaysia, Indonesia, or the Philippines. For Vietnam, the Chinese or Japanese one works but not for the more Indianized SE Asian Civs.

Top Bottom