Civ VI Play-Along: Violent Science Victory with Macedonia

@Navystorm

Very impressed with your playthrough, nice work :) When do you think youll be ready to play? Ill probably grab a little snack, look through my maps and then im set. Can you give me an estimated time?

@JamesCivFan

Yes I will be playing today, I only have time til ~7PM but I hope we can still get a lot of things done :D

Wait, but isnt 1.30 UK time in just about an hour? Seems like I should be preparing the map now :D

Science victory seems to be considerably tougher after the new patch. I was on pace to beat my best time (not by much though - turn 230ish). I had 4 civs declare war on me when I was building the last two parts and 6 attempts to disrupt rocketry with spies. I did have a spy placed there for defense but the sixth one landed when I had 5 turns to victory and set me back too far. I had pretty lousy luck with great people in this one getting no useful scientists. I did snag a few of the space engineers. I probably didn't conquer enough early cities or plan for enough GPP though I was getting 60+ which is high for me. I don't think I'm enough of a perfectionist to get a sub 200 SV.

Does the deity AI actually get late great scientists? One of the biggest snags I run into when attempting science victories on emperor is that they can't get a GS after the Medieval era.

How far along in the Tech tree, how far along in the civics tree, and what turn are people building campuses? You want to get some techs to crush your unworthy neighbors - but the more you get the more production costs to build the campuses. Horseback riding and Iron Working are very handy for casual neighbor smiting and Political Philosophy is also useful. Do you beeline for Feudalism/Stirrups (Medieval era) or hang back to build districts?

Does the deity
AI actually get late great scientists? One of the biggest snags I run into when attempting science victories on emperor is that they can't get a GS after the Medieval era.

from my experience the AI doesnt get ANY GS afrer Medieval, yes. Or maybe better this way: If you're doing good, they definitely will not.

How far along in the Tech tree, how far along in the civics tree, and what turn are people building campuses? You want to get some techs to crush your unworthy neighbors - but the more you get the more production costs to build the campuses. Horseback riding and Iron Working are very handy for casual neighbor smiting and Political Philosophy is also useful. Do you beeline for Feudalism/Stirrups (Medieval era) or hang back to build districts?

I purposefully delay researching ANY unecessary techs, often bring techs down to 1turn and don't finish them, all just for cheaper Campi. Personnaly I only get the relevant military/economic techs and leave everything else. Also the district techs so you can place them earlier. I probably start building Campi as a second or third build in my expos (units don't count, Campi come after monument or mon + granary/builder. delaying them further is bad imo). so, realistically around t60 in cap/early cities and around t70/80 in later cities. This is far from ideal of course, but that is the best I can do in a standard game :) The earlier the better, ofc.

Also chopping into districts gives really good value.

from my experience the AI doesnt get ANY GS afrer Medieval, yes. Or maybe better this way: If you're doing good, they definitely will not.

I purposefully delay researching ANY unecessary techs, often bring techs down to 1turn and don't finish them, all just for cheaper Campi. Personnaly I only get the relevant military/economic techs and leave everything else. Also the district techs so you can place them earlier. I probably start building Campi as a second or third build in my expos (units don't count, Campi come after monument or mon + granary/builder. delaying them further is bad imo). so, realistically around t60 in cap/early cities and around t70/80 in later cities. This is far from ideal of course, but that is the best I can do in a standard game :) The earlier the better, ofc.

Also chopping into districts gives really good value.
I think in the early game where your population is still low, you can time in Ilkum (30% boost to Builder production) if you have forests/rainforests to chop because you essentially gain back whatever cogs you "lost", and you have 2 more charges on that said builder to improve whatever else you need. Just don't overdo it before the first big wave of super Builders (when Feudalism comes).

Violent in general is always faster than peaceful from my experience.

Yeah only really doing peaceful science victories seeing people post sub-200 times is almost unbelievable to me. My fastest is 255, that's with a large isolated island start, a hilly capital, and several science city states. But I guess building 10-12 cities unmolested just doesn't compare to building 10 cities and conquering another 10-15 that have prebuilt districts and wonders, where you're also getting cushy peace deals.

Its almost as if there are 7 victory types:

domination
religious
science
culture
peaceful religious
peaceful science
peaceful culture

Top Bottom