Civ3 Community Scenario Compilation DVD

Would you be interested in the compilation?

• Yes - DVD

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Yes - Larger disc (e.g. Blu-Ray) farther in the future

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Yes - Downloadable DVD image

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Yes - Downloadable larger image farther in the future

Votes: 7 28.0%

• Total voters
Greetings all! For those of you who have been waiting for the ISO, good news! I have sufficiently protected my web site from search engine bots, and you can now download the ISO image of the compilation from this link (4.3 GB compressed, 9 GB uncompressed; roughly 1 week to download on 56 Kbps dial-up). It contains all the scenarios mentioned on the first page. You'll note it is version 1.02; 1.01 includes compatibility with the German disc version of Civ3, and 1.02 adds a 70's scenario for the Cold War that I discovered a couple weeks ago.

Discs remain available for shipping as well; all you need to do is send a PM with your address so I can send it.

Greetings Quintillus, is it still possible to get a disc?

Greetings Quintillus, is it still possible to get a disc?

It is! Just send me a PM with your address on it. I'm in the process of moving, so I'm not visiting CFC/ready to print out discs every day like before I was moving, but still have plenty of discs and materials for sending them out.

Congrats! I'm now tempted to fire III up again to check some of these scenarios out.

:eek2: Thankfully, my d/l only took around 2 min.

That's pretty fast Internet! Hope you enjoy the scenarios, rekindling interest is one of the goals!

Congrats! I'm now tempted to fire III up again to check some of these scenarios out.
It is your duty as moderator of this section to keep up to date with developments. Just to make sure that all the materials distributed comply with forum rules I suggest that you play through all scenarios thoroughly.

Also, I like Weazel's poster.

I went ahead and downloaded it to put on a flash drive, but I still want the DVD. I have my Windows laptop operating again, now to get the Maxs up and running.

BY the way, a BIG THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!!!!!

For those who may see this thread this summer and wonder if this is still ongoing, it is. A bit over 30 discs remain available, which means I probably should have ordered 25 instead of 50, but is good news if you want one and are just discovering the thread now or in September.

Response time may be slow, however, as I've been taking advantage of being fully vaccinated and travelling a lot this summer. Eventually, however, your disc will be shipped out, and arrive around a week later. If you don't hear a reply for a few days or a week, assume I'm in the mountains.

Going forward I might allocate some of the disks to either the 2nd Decade Awards (if they occur), or perhaps a history-focused compilation that I started on in the spring but haven't finished yet. But those are hypotheticals; right now my Civ-dedicated time is almost zero.

The link to the downloadable ISO of the DVD remains active in the first post for those looking for immediate scenario overload.

While doing some preliminary work for a potential second disk for this, I found about 72 MB of space that could be reclaimed on the existing disc, due to duplication of scenario data in the documentation files. Combined with turning the compression up to 11, this gave enough room for an update with the following changes:

- The Medieval Europe Mod - Britain and Ireland scenario is now included, completing the Medieval Europe Mod collection.
- The latest update to Escape From Zombie Island II, published in December, is now included.

Any future discs shipped out will include these updates, and you can download the ISO image here.

Approximately half of the printed discs remain available, which is estimated to be enough until some time in 2023. If you already have one, it's requested that you download MEM - Britain and Ireland and the EFZI II update separately, should they tickle your fancy.

The potential sequel probably isn't arriving any time soon given the work involved in compiling it, but a few more scenarios have been added to my local archive.

Quintillus, I am having major problems with the Complation, both the DVD and the download. I do not have the latestand greatest computer set-up. I am running Civ3 on an IBM laptop running Windows NT. The DVD will not run on it. It also cannot contact the Internet. I can download the Compilation on one of my Mac laptops, but they cannot run the Windows exe commands. The one piece of the download is too large to but on a flash drive to try to move it to the Windows laptop. Basocally, I cannot get into anything.

Quintillus, I am having major problems with the Complation, both the DVD and the download. I do not have the latestand greatest computer set-up. I am running Civ3 on an IBM laptop running Windows NT. The DVD will not run on it. It also cannot contact the Internet. I can download the Compilation on one of my Mac laptops, but they cannot run the Windows exe commands. The one piece of the download is too large to but on a flash drive to try to move it to the Windows laptop. Basocally, I cannot get into anything.

Which version of Windows NT?

If you mean the NT 4, the DVD not running would be due to the 7-Zip version included on the DVD requiring Windows 2000 (NT 5) or later. In that case, if you are able to transfer 7-Zip 9.20 to the IBM laptop from the download page, I think it should work. That is the most recent version before the minimum requirement was increased to Windows 2000. There are even older versions available here on SourceForge; I used 4.65 for quite a while back in the day, and the oldest one, 3.13, is almost as old as 3.11 which is the last one in the 7-Zip change log to specifically mention NT (pre-2000) support.

If you mean the DVD won't show up at all, rather than the scenarios not being extractable, that's a trickier problem, and probably means the media format is too new. I haven't yet tried these discs on my late-20th-century DVD player, but from past experience older drives are more picky about home-recorded discs. I went with the Taiyo Yuden discs to maximize the chances of longevity and compatibility, but they can only do so much.

Although if it's only a CD player and not a DVD player, then it would make sense why it doesn't work. My desktop also has a DVD player than has ceased to read DVDs, though it still reads CDs; another possibility.

------

Perhaps the other angle, decompressing via a Mac laptop, is easier. There is now a Mac console version of 7-Zip (direct download link from official website), and running "7z x Scenario.7z" should extract the contents, allowing you to copy over by flash drive just what is needed.

------

Another alternative would be, if there are specific scenarios you'd like to play, downloading them the more traditional way. The online readme from the disc includes links to the CFC threads for each scenario, and I believe they all are downloadable, or were last year at least. Part of the goal of the compilation was to make it easier to access them, as for some of them you have to hunt back a few pages for a link, or apply several patches to get the latest version, and I think at least one of them is via a site that sets the download speed to pretty-slow-by-today's-standards. But if it's making things more difficult instead, there's no reason not to just download them the old-fashioned way.

It's also worth noting that the downloadability state of scenarios is actually improved over a few years ago. Several people have chipped in to re-post missing scenarios, notably Node60 and Blake00, and Thunderfall has helped out by allowing more and larger scenarios to be (re)hosted directly at CFC. Some are still missing (and in general, I don't have those locally, either), but while a bunch of the links in the first post of scenarios are still not up-to-date, most if not all of the ones in the collection were available the last I checked.

------

As someone who has had a bit of a retrocomputing hobby as well, this is an interesting challenge. You have at least one potential advantage over the old computers I've had a chance to play around with in that it supports a flash drive; I always had to rely on optical media (or when it worked, Ethernet) due to lack of USB support. But it's probably limited by FAT32 file size limits (4 GB, maybe less if it's FAT16), either on the flash drive or locally or very possibly both, which is yet another reason it may be necessary to split things up in order to transfer them.

I just saw this. I don't really play Civ 3 anymore because of trainer incompatibility, but this is an excellent endeavor. You've been involved with a lot of Civ 3 work these past few years and it's been great to see.

I don't really play Civ 3 anymore
Evidently you need help. What can we do so that this vital function can be fully restored for you?

Evidently you need help. What can we do so that this vital function can be fully restored for you?
The challenge's been finding a trainer (aka cheats) that works with the Steam version. I can make a custom scenario for the base game, but I go through a Civ 3 kick every ~3 years and so I've forgotten all the basic modding info by the time I want to play again—and this obviously doesn't work for scenarios. It's certainly a problem for a niche minority. ;)

I balance a budget IRL. I don't need to do it in a video game too. :p

Uhm… it's just governors for conquered cities and tweaking sliders a bit? Or are you one of those hardcore studs who play at no difficulty lower than Deity?

Top Bottom