Civ3 conquests (steam purchase) doesn't start when adding keepres=1 line on ini (windows 10)

MorgothErmis

Chieftain
I've bought civ3 from steam and since the image is a bit squashed I decided to run the game at a higher resolution. My PC's current resolution is 2560 x 1440.
I browsed the topics on steam's civ3 page and people suggested to put the line 'keepres=1' on the ini of conquests to make it run on a bigger resolution, but when I do that, the game simply won't start.
I'm on windows 10.
EDIT: OK So I went into further compatibility settings [change high DPI settings] and chose to 'override high DPI scaling behavior', and 'scaling performed by: application'.
Now the game starts but everything is so small. I'm gonna try a different resolution to see if I can make it look playable.

Last edited:
The highest I have used was 1263x, unless the res on monitor is 1990. Then keepres works. I doubt I want to have the res higher as the map looks too small.

Want to say that I have the same issue. This is on XP, so it seems like a bug in the game and I would love to get confirmation from other people with 1440p monitors. When I set my desktop resolution to 1920x1440 or another 4:3 aspect ratio resolution, KeepRes works perfectly. It's only when using 16:9 resolutions like 2560x1440 that it simply refuses to open. It does not crash, it just never opens. Very frustrating. Ironically this works on a Mac just fine, but that version has proper windowed support which I find the more elegant solution on such a large monitor.

If C3C is crashing during startup on modern Windows versions and/or using high-res/ widescreen monitors, it's sometimes because it's trying (and failing) to resize the active part of the screen, to play the intro-movie.

Not sure exactly what causes that problem (graphics driver incompatibility?), but it can be dodged by (also) adding "PlayIntro=0" to the .ini file.

If C3C is crashing during startup on modern Windows versions and/or using high-res/ widescreen monitors, it's sometimes because it's trying (and failing) to resize the active part of the screen, to play the intro-movie.

Not sure exactly what causes that problem (graphics driver incompatibility?), but it can be dodged by (also) adding "PlayIntro=0" to the .ini file.
That's what happened to me with Windows 11, and that solution worked for me. And I don't care, since I always skipped the intro-movie anyway.

Top Bottom