1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ3MultiTool - Now at Civfanatics

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Utility Programs' started by Gramphos, Nov 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

Good question. I've answered it before, but as it is you I'll say it again :p

I developed this tool without the game, and when I got the game and could test things my self I didn't want to deactivate things, as someone might find a way to do things.

2. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

Fixes
    - The wondersplashes are now added at the end of the list
    - The log file no longer logs normal startups
    - The pediaicons.txt should (I hope I got it right this time) not lose the last line every time a building is copied.

19 downloads

3. micmc_atl_ga

micmc_atl_ga Chieftain

Heya Gramphos,

did you ever get a chance to look at the problem with stuff not appearing in the what-to-build window?

I tried doing the no-map option, tried a clean mod.bic, used Plutarack's LWC all with no results. I have looked everywhere to figger/find out why it happening, but so far nadda. Personally I think it's a conspirosy, um...dunno mebbe against creative spellers, yeah yeah that's it. Sorry to keep being a pain. If you got other fish to fry don't fuss with it, I'l figger it out eventually...or dropkick the dang game across the yard :)

4. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

No, not yet. Everything looked fine, but I didn't have time to play until I could build anything of it.

5. royfurr

royfurr "Klotzen, nicht Kleckern"

HiYA Gramphos,

Hope you can clear up my confusion. New to your tool, started out looking over the post at the start. Maybe that was my mistake ...

Earlier on you refer to people needing the VB runtimes, and you in fact posted 4 files (due to the 500 kb size limit).

Someone asked for a comdlg32.ocx, you said they needed the VB runtimes, and you posted 4 files ("disk1", disk2, ...). Later, for someone else, you posted a link to 2 microsoft CAB files, one comldg32.cab (a vb6), the second COMCTL32.CAB (vb5). Does the cab files create the ocx file? Do they take the place of the 4 disks or do I need both (the 4 disks files AND the CAB's)? DO i need both CAB files- I think at one point you posted in answer to one person, only one of them?? Not sure on that.

I downloaded the two CAB files, also the 4 "disk 1, disk 2" etc files of the 4 VB runtimes.

Which do I need? How do I install them- click on them and then what? where should they go? Is there any chance these files will messs up my OS (win98) or my configuration, oris this pretty much safe?

Is there anything else I need? I downloaded both the "tested" 0.81.2001 version and the "untested " 0.82.2002 version, and the "fixed building-small.pcx" files. (You commented somewhere near the end of this thread about maybe one should NOT use the tested version, but to use the untested one? Whats that about?)

How to install your tool? WHere does the buidlding-small.pcx file go? Where (does it matter) should your tool go- into the Civiliaztion III folder itself or thats not necessary?

Finally, to use your tool, do I need to open the Editor, click on Tools>uncheck Use Default rules, THEN open your tool? Or is that JUST for modifiing a newly copied units stats from the original (I am used to using the editor for modifying a current unit). Or does your tool open the editor, and uncheckig Use Default rules is the first thing I should do before proceding?

Thanks SO MUCH for your help.

Obvioulsy, the Civ community is in your debt for your work on the copytool. Congradulations on making something which has helped so many. There isn't much happiness in this world and adding to it is a GOOD THING. Kudos to you!

6. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

If you are unsure I recommend the full setup, which were first posted with v0.82.2001. It is 1.76 MB, so if you are on a slow connection, and already downloaded the files from Microsoft (COMCTL32.CAB and the EXE-file (MSVB5 or something I think)) you could use them. I'll edit out those disk files now, as You reminded me about them. They were for an early version that only needed the vb6 version of comldg32.ocx. As that file had some problems for XP users I made my tool call the system DLLs directly instead of using it, so it is no longer needed. However, if you install it you will get the dll.

Well, I think that the untested 0.82.2002 has some bugs less then the tested, and I recomend that. The only thing is an unfinished function to compare bics that isn't present in 0.82.2001, that might be buggy, but If you don't use it 0.82.2002 shoud be better then 0.82.2001. However that is not always the case of the files I list as untested. especially not if it has been some time since the tested version was posted, and Ive just finished adding all things I want for the next version, and started to track down the bugs. But most people that want it for BIC moding shold do best with the untested version, in combination with an earlier version that they know work.

You can install the tool anywhere. The building-small.pcx should be in %Civ3Dir%\Art\City Screen
    And that is the only file not included in the full setoup, as it would be bad to forcepeople on it. The prblem is that the original one has an offset error, which can be seen in the game

The tool edits bic-files. They can either be a copy of Civ3Mod.bic or created with the editor with unchecked default rules. The tool is not linked to the editor in any way, and If you plan on having both open in the same time I recommend you to make a tiny ocean map in the editor and then select no map, as the default standard map use mush memory. After the tool has copied anything You should be able to load it in the editor and edit it.
    Note that Civs has not been copied successfully.

Thanks. :blush:

PS I plan to post v0.82.21 untested right now

7. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

v0.82.21
    - Start year and End year of a SAVE can be edited
    - Popup added when copy is done.

23 downloads

8. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

v0.82.22
    - Citizens can be edited
    - All Tabs now have tabstops in logical order
    - The City list is sorted.

65 downloads

9. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

v0.82.225
    - More parts of Citizens can be edited (Not tested mush)
    - Citizens can be moved. (No calculation of productin is made)

Please test this and report any error with the Citizens or cities.

10. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

Forgot the zip :o

42 downloads

11. sgrig

sgrig Comrade

Great tool, Gramphos!

I have a couple of suggestions:

On the unit tab, is it possible to have a list of cities, so that when a unit is selected the city where it is based shows up, and conversely when a city is selected, the unit's coords are set to the coords of that city (there should be a check that the city and the unit belong to the same civ). I don't think this should be hard to implement.

Similarly, on the city tab there should be an option to show the units in the city.

Otherwise thisis great! Keep it up!

PS Of course it would be greatly desirable to place/shift cities, but I realise that this is too complicated, so I won't even suggest it!

12. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

Good sugestions both of them, I'll see if I can get it into the upcoming version. The biggest problem is to handle units not in cities, but I guess that it shoud be possibel.
    And that on the City tab: Is it just a show function you are asking for? If that is the case I guess it could be implemented.

13. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

Both your suggestions for lists has been added, and will be part of the next version, but it will not be posted yet due to some major changes, that has to be done to make impact with the planned name change.

About placing Cities I don't have far left. I think I actually could be able to move, and maybe even remove cities with the next version. To add them I'd still need to do some more work, as for what to default all unknown city values to. But I don't promise anything.

14. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

The only problem with moving cities right now is that I don't have a way to handle what would happen if it was moved to a place where another city works, or even worse, on top of another city.

I don't think a city would do any good in water either, so the biggest problems is the checks. If I don't make any I think I could be able to allow moveing cities, but that would be very insecure.

15. royfurr

Thanks Gramphos!! for your answers to my questions last week. I have been ill with the flu since right after I had posted and only now have emerged from the sickbed .... it was a nasty one, thats why you'd not heard this message of gratitude.

ANYWAY I now download your newest version and will try out your suggestions to get it all going, what with the VB runtimes and all.

Thank you again for posting. Good Day!!
    Royfurr

:crazyeyes:

16. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

If you have used any version before you should not need the VB runtimes. otherwise (I recommend you to download the full install, and if you want to use an untested version the zip of that as well.

17. sgrig

sgrig Comrade

Great!

I look forward to the next version! :D

Maybe we will finally be able to make proper scenarios!

Maybe it would be easier to copy cities to a different place, rather than placing them from scratch, so that you do not have to worry about default settings?

18. royfurr

Thoughful as ever, eh, Gramphos? Thanks for that tip you threw in about the runtimes. I'd never had your program and just used that newest "full install" version, seemed the safest, stuck the unzipped small building pcx file into Art/City Screen after backing up the original, and then tried Plutarck's tutorial to create a Coracle via copying and editing the Galley. It seemed to work!! (Your tool at least, anyways.) The Coracle was now listed in the editor when I opened the bic file. Still gotta start a new game to check it out, it will not be in my current saved games in the Saves folder, right? They are from the current civ3mod.bic file, and I edited a BAKUPciv3mod.bic file I'd made from copying the current one, when I used your tool.

Now I need to figure out the relationships between maps (in or not in the bics), when to load scenarios vs. saved games, and ... I want to add in a unit (potenitally, ie the build ability, not at actual "on the map" unit) while the game has already been running, ie add to a saved game file? ( Whats a "cpf" file? I read your readme but stupid me doesn't understand!) AH, seems like a zillion questions. Other then Plutarck's "How to Mod" tutorial, is there anything anywhere that talks about using your tool and doing mods etc for RANK beginingers? I AM confused about the map buisness, vs. bics, sceniaros vs. games in progress, mods, etc etc. When I upgraded to the 1.16 patch, my saved games wouldnn't load- hung at "57%" !! I think I had made just one tiny editor change (maybe not so minor, eh??), and after deleting it things worked ok ??? I wound up just starting a new game and all has worked fine since, even the Editor changes I've make. Whoo, we're having fun now!

I think Marla the Mighty Map Maker has a tutorial on moving starting civ locations, I'm gonna look for that next. Her map is DEFINITLEY an AWARD WINNER.

Anyway thanks again for all your help. I'm finally getting a start on this!! Yeaaaa! The World is a Gloroius Place!

THANKS!

:crazyeyes

19. Gramphos

Gramphos Emperor

That was many questions.

As for changing civ3mod.bic I don't recomend it. I think it should work with current saves if you just add a Unit, but I'm not 100% sure. The best is to use the load scenario thing, as the rules then are saved in the save.

A bic can contain 2 groups of sections. The rules sections and the map sections. These groups need to contain all groups of them to work with the game. (i.e. you can't leave the Techs out just becasue you don't edit them). The bics nan have 3 combinations: Rules, Map or Rules + Map.

Scenarios are used with new games, and are bic files. Saved games can, if started as a scenario with rules, hold the bic rules sections. They also contains a map, units and cities among with other game specific data. One big problem of making a save game as a scenario is the saved seed. (It should be possible to find, but I've not found it yet.) One other is that only one civ can be played.

The CPF file format is a file format I created to make it possible to automatically mass move the starting units to locations specified in that file. If you want to know more, check the CPT thread (maybe that readme). C3CT can generate those files without any Civ info. Yuo might test that ffunction. To do so you need to load a map with playerstarts, and click the generate CPF. Then a CPF will be crated with all the defined positions data, and you will have to edit the Civs, to be right at the right spot.

20. Toasty

Toasty Old Guard

Hey Gramphos. I used the latest version of C3CT to copy a civilization, but in the select civilization menu, I choose it and it crashes. Also note that the country name doesn't show on the select box on the left.

What's up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.