1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ4 Patch v1.61, SDK, PitBoss, & Low-res Movies Released!

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by V. Soma, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Calder

Calder Warlord

"Hooked up modern whaling boats." Has anyone seen these yet, and when do they become "modern" whaling boats, or is the whaling boat just a different looking boat when first able to build them? Since they become obsolete at Combustion (before the modern age), have they now changed this?

2. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

I installed both the 1.61 patch and the low-res movies, then fired up the game to see if there were any changes. The intro movies still stutter (both visual and audio) with both installed. What else can I do to make the movies watchable?

*edit*

I guess that means the movies are hopeless. Figures. I tried every fix I could find on the boards, except clearing the cache because holding shift doesn't work and there is no Application Data folder on this hard drive.

3. Shablul

Shablul Chieftain

Does anyone else have constant fog of war along the South Pole (or the West Pole on a iltes axis map)? I notice that one of the upgrades in the patch was "No more fog of war missing from the southern ice and from trees/jungle on the dateline". Overcompensation and hypercorrection, perhaps?

Other than that, I think the patch is fine. I had a few problems at first, but then I was told I had to get rid of my mods and do a clean install. This cleared things up for me ...

...except for the constant fog in the south.

:king: Peace

4. AsnoT

AsnoT Mostly Civilized

if you're running windows, there IS one.

go to windows explorer, extras, settings, and put a checkmark on "show all files" and "show system files" (approximation of english version of those options, but you'll find em, it's two of them)

THEN search for the application data folder.

5. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

Holding shift still works. I will admit that it seems a lot more touchy now than it did, but it still works.

Hold shift imediately after the loading screen disappears (the first one that says "loading" in different languages) but before the next one appears (the one where it loads/initiates everything and tells you things like 'initiating XML (uncached)', etc).

It is touchy, but it still works. I still have issues with playing it with it cached, so I always empty the cache before playing.

Another point worth noting. There is something in the configuration file that suggests that you can permanently make it so that it always loads uncached, but I haven't experiemented with it to see. Have a look in the configuration file if it interests you.

Watiggi

6. Harrier

Harrier Deity

It is probably because you do not have a unit selected and active. If they are all asleep or fortified it can not show you the combat odds as it does not know which unit you want to attack with.

7. ltccone

ltccone Prince

The PBEM scenarios all seem to have problems. The only ones that even begin to work are Desert War, Greek world, and 1000AD.

Greek World works, but it has some strange problems with names being wrong, but works otherwise.

Desert War has no money at srt OR tech! You have battleships, but you can only build warriors.

I haven't started the 1000AD to see if it works or not, but you can at least get to the opening menu.

The American Revolution scenario is WAY broke. It starts jhust like a normal map.

8. Gyathaar

Gyathaar Warlock Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

You are right.. it seems it doesnt load the required mod files..
    To fix this, do this before starting the game:
    click advanced, load a mod
    select the required mod (eg. American Revolution)
    This will make the game restart
    after the restart go to multiplayer, pbem, play scenario
    Should work properly now.. (for that scenario)

Alternatively, start a single player game of the scenario first, then go back to the main menu and start the pbem game (I think this should work)

9. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

Hello everyone.

After 6 hours using this patch, here's my report.

1. When execing the patch, I got an error message. Still, the patch worked properly! :crazyeye:
    2. I noticed no improvement whatsoever in terms of performance. In-game reloading still takes forever and the game starts lagging heavily after about one hour of continuous play, esp. in the late game. To keep it smooth, I have to quit to the desktop and restart every 45 minutes or so. (Athlon 2800+, 1 Go RAM, GF6 6800 GT).
    3. I am rather happy with most changes, esp. chopping having been tuned down.

Overall, this patch is no revolution but it is a step in the right direction. One could say Civ4 is now in advanced beta status... :goodjob:

10. Watiggi

Watiggi Deity

No, I mean no mouse over information appears. After a battle, I can mouse over the enemy city and nothing happens, where as usually I would get a list of units stacked in the enemy city (list should appear on the left, where you would expect). It goes so far that no mouse over information appears at all - not even plot information (you know, grassland, farm, road information that appears on the left). Once I click on another unit, it fixes itself up.

As I said, it only happened twice and put me off a bit, considering I had no problem in 1.52. Since it happened, I really haven't played it, so I don't know how bad it really is (ie, the frequency of it). I assume it's a bug which came from the new '?' code that has been put it.

Anyone else encountered it? Thanks for your comments though Harrier :)

Watiggi

11. must_daniel

must_daniel Chieftain

I think that the things with hammars(production) should be skipped, it should be all about food and gold, money is used for everything in the really world.
    They should also include a cruiser missle unit

12. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

I've heard people mention siege units are more useful now. How did the patch change them? Does it mean the Bombard ability is better and that I don't have to charge suicidally with my catapults anymore?

13. Dudy80

Dudy80 Chieftain

I got bored today and decided to check and see if there was a patch. And guess what there actually was! Im downloading now, so dont no if it works any beter on my system but looking at the changes i think it will. :)

14. Aarontu

Aarontu Chieftain

Glad to see an increase in SDI cost!

15. Breunor

Breunor Deity

Does anybody know or have a link to how the new map(s) work?

Thanks,

Breunor

16. blovdubb

blovdubb Chieftain

will someone answer my question about sdk, i dont know how to install, i unzipped the dl now what ,where does it go?

17. EolTheDarkElf

EolTheDarkElf Suspended animation

Really, about time.

Other than that thanks for the news :)

18. player1 fanatic

player1 fanatic Fanatic

If you don't know what to do with it, it would not be of any use to you anyway.

It's a source code for one of core games DLLs. You don't install it, you modify it and then compile new DLL

19. Aussie_Lurker

Aussie_Lurker Deity

You will find full and detailed instructions for downloading the components needed to use the SDK can be found HERE:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=166933

In the Creation Forum, you will also find a number of Sticky threads which explain elements of the SDK and how they can be modified. Hope this helps.

Yours,
    Aussie_Lurker.

20. Barak

Barak Emperor

Do old saves in 1.52 work with 1.61 when the saves were not using mods?