Civ4 PBEM

Aloha,
I just tested something out - created a game w/ 2 players -- used my email and STMP for both [players] -- I did get the email w/ pbem attachment after ending first turn.

Don't know if this helps or adds to the confusion

No ... it helps ... but if some of us are using smtp that won't work (gmail?) then we'll need an smtp for those people that will forward anonymous email. I still can't figure out why my bellsouth email is not receiving anything one minute or reporting an error the next.

Should I forward my save game on to the next person, or are we adding passwords? (To be honest, I'd prefer the latter, because now everyone knows my starting position).

Aloha!

My friend and I also set up a PBEM and it worked -- are you using the STMP address form your email account - for example M$ Outlook needs STMP info if you do use that mode.

When I set up that PBEM I didn't know my buddies STMP, so I created an email address via my web site and forwarded his email to his actual email address.

That's the key ... your email server.

I'l still trying to figure out WHY bellsouth and gmail don't work ... I'm using the regular settings from outlook or as given on their websites, but with no success.

Kolyana said:
That's the key ... your email server.

I'l still trying to figure out WHY bellsouth and gmail don't work ... I'm using the regular settings from outlook or as given on their websites, but with no success.

Aloha,
Did you check your spam folder? Maybe it's dropping in there, or do you have a filter for emails w/ attachments?

I set-up 2 PBEM games and confirmed that it works - one w/ myself (so I guess I'm playing w/ myself) and a buddy.

I'd be very interested if, even to continue the game if any of the six drop out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Ephor said:
I'd be very interested if, even to continue the game if any of the six drop out.

Aloha Ephor!
I'm trying to start one as well - if your interested -- here's the thread link

:)

Ok I will set up a new game then, I guess I will have to set up the passwords, just private message them to me, I promise I won't cheat ;)
And if we use one SMTP, which would that be?

New game with passwords for sure, and you can always give each of us the email of the next person after us so we can simply forward them on if the emailing in the game doesn't work.

Johnny Tsunami said:
Aloha,
Did you check your spam folder? Maybe it's dropping in there, or do you have a filter for emails w/ attachments?

I set-up 2 PBEM games and confirmed that it works - one w/ myself (so I guess I'm playing w/ myself) and a buddy.

Yes, but you tested using YOUR email server. I know from experience that certain email servers will forward email in a very open way and they don't care where the information in coming in from or where it's going to. Other servers tend to be somewhat more 'ridgid' in their approach and I suspect gmail is such an example.

I checked the spam folder of both gmail and bellsouth, but neither received anything.

Johnny, I'd be interested to see if you can get this working with GMAIL and NOT your email service; ie don't FORWARD from your email to another, but open a gmail account and see if you can send directly to it.

Otherwise, if only certain email services will work, I might have something we can all use ... I think I have access to an email forwarding service, so - Kevinicus - I can set up 6 email accounts on there to use in the game that simply forward to the correct emails, if you wish.

I'll pm you.

Ephor said:

There is a keyboard shortcut (alt-q or something) that is a "Quit and pass control to an AI" ... untested, but it's there.

I've done some additional testing (on work's time ;) ) and I'm pretty sure that gmail is a non-starter. I checked and double checked the settings for gmail (according to their website), and to use outgoing smtp there are several settings that CIVIV does not make available for adjustment:

http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13278

Check the box next to 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication,' and select 'Use same settings as my incoming mail server.'

Check the box next to 'This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) under 'Outgoing Server (SMTP),' and enter '465' in the box next to 'Outgoing server (SMTP):.'

I have to assume, therefore, that gmail and Civ IV are non-starters at this stage of the game.

Well SMTP servers are only for sending the file ingame I guess. Well I sent it to Kolyana. Let's just say, I couldn't have gotten a better start :)

I have tried to find out what my smtp server is and i just can't figure it out. I don't use outlook express but I setup my hotmail account on it and it says nothing about smtp but it says i use http. Could anyone explain how this would affect things?

Danheg, don't worry about it, there are limitations with the game's built in emailing capability, so we're going to do it manually for now ;)

Aye I sent the savegame.

Can you post a list of players (in turn order) and their email addresses or something? I know who to send to next, but I don't know who they should be sending to after me.

Ok I did so, but so that no bots can pick it up or shizz. First page.

I've never set up a PBEM game but I wonder if gmail would work since it is secured and runs on a different port than a standard unsecured smtp server. Does the game setup allow you to set the smtp server to use TLS?

Top Bottom