Civ6 for iPad

It would be great if there were Civ VI for the Nintendo Switch.

This would give the Nintendo Switch more higher-budget strategy games, not just Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which has similar gameplay mechanics to another Firaxis game.

I have a new 12.9 iPad Pro so I’m downloading the game as I write this. It will be interesting to see how successful a full priced high quality game will be. I’ve spent a lot of time looking for decent games to play on this iPad, but apart from xcom wasn’t able to find anything close to top end pc games, presumably because iOS gamers expect to only pay $5, $10 or $15 for a game.

EDIT
Just payed $46 Australian for the game.

I hope you enjoy it. And I would have bought it also but, unfortunately, I’m not convinced it is a good choice. First, the deluxe version is not an option which means they want us to buy the DLC separately at full price. Second, they don’t have the DLC available. Third, they have a growing trend of late Patch and DLC releases with the latest one, come January, being a three month wait and that is for macOS even. I can only assume right now that it will be worse for iOS. Fourth, having asked about the expansion release date and haven’t gotten no answer or even an acknowledgement, I must use past trends and expect it to be severely delayed. I seriously hope not, but there isn’t any indication that it will be released reasonably close to February 8th. This leads me to believe that all DLC already released and or any future releases, including cross platform, will not be available on iOS on a timely manner. Fifth, as much as it is a great thing that it was released for iPad, logic leads me to believe now that their limited resources which I thought we’re arduously working to expedite the release of the latest patch, DLC and cross platform on macOS, by what AspyrWoo and AspyrBlair had said on the Steam Mac Forum, had actually been devided instead and placed to work on the release of the iPad version before the holidays. That doesn’t sit well with me. So, I won’t buy the iPad version even though I downloaded the trial version and played the 60 turns to test it. (Even though, It runs smoothly and maybe it is easier to play it with your hands, it is 50% off and looks nice on my iPad Pro, the controls and panels are too big, the trial version doesn’t specify if you will be able to use mods nor sync achievements with Steam—I’m guessing it won’t.) This version, at least to me, seems to be for the most part for those who enjoy a sophisticated game, but aren’t fanatics of Civilization who expect to have all the benefits other platforms provide, especially Windows (I hate to say it, but it is the truth). Because of these reasons, I cannot in good conscience give my money away and reinforce such behavior and business strategy.

I am weak. 26 years of Civ and counting and I couldn’t resist. Lol.

Started as the Vikings on an Island Plates map and got beat up by Horse Barbs. :lol:

Love Horse Barbs. :hug:

At least Civ VI for the iPad is the only other legal non-Steam platform, aside from the Mac App Store version of Civ VI.

Yes, but at the very, very, very least. As a fan of the series and Mac lover, aside from my objections in my previous post, I would appreciate having the amazing option of playing on my iMac and jumping to my iPad to continue because I’m commuting or traveling or just want to play on my sofa, for example, without carrying a MacBook. I can do that with so many Apps these days with my iPad and iPhone. That’s one of the reasons I enjoy Apple products Also, with Civ VI, I want to be able to accumulate achievements on Steam using my iPad and definitely use mods. I don’t want it separately. So, I’m not convinced and I’m frustrated by it in the end. It seems to be a rushed decision so as to be the first to offer a high caliber game on iPads without thinking about a sizable portion of their customer base. The way it is right now, the way I see it, it is mainly an strategy to get new customers that do not necessarily play the game on macOS or/and are not that picky or demanding as some of us are. To me this and their treatment in general as of the last two patches sends a message that plainly says we don’t care much about those who already bought the game and we’re looking into other sources of revenue. I know it is a business after all, but it is sad that they do forget that the business aspect is based on trust and the love of the game, being able to enjoy the game. This doesn’t show that. So, again it was definitely thought of with some other customers in mind.

If they were to get it working with decent macOS-iOS communication and a common sense discount for purchasing on both formats (if I had a cast-iron guarantee of DLC being on a buy-once basis, I’d be in) then it’d be pretty awesome

Pretty impressed with the 60 turn demo. Just got a Switch for Solsticemas so probably going to be in Hyrule until the new year though

Hmm...turn times are a little slow even on a standard size map in the ancient era. I wouldn’t recommend any larger sized map, to be honest. Also, watch out for the Horse Barbs. Lol.

At least England is friendly. Good ‘ol Vicky. :hug:

Hmm...turn times are a little slow even on a standard size map in the ancient era. I wouldn’t recommend any larger sized map, to be honest. Also, watch out for the Horse Barbs. Lol.

From the reviews it suggests there is support for Mods. Is that correct?

How do you download mods? Can somebody tell me if my maps play on iPad Civ VI?! :crazyeye:

Try Scrambled Australia (maybe not the Large size map. The Tiny map is based on the one in Outback Tycoon scenario from the Australia DLC) → https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/scrambled-australia.26427/

Pretty impressed with the 60 turn demo. Just got a Switch for Solsticemas so probably going to be in Hyrule until the new year though
Imagine Civ VI for the Switch featuring the Mushroom Kingdom civ led by Peach, the Hyrule civ led by Zelda, and the Dream Land civ led by Dedede, along with a host of few other civs from the Nintendo universe.

They can be unlocked either by winning a number of matches or by scanning the appropriate amiibo.

I hope you enjoy it. And I would have bought it also but, unfortunately, I’m not convinced it is a good choice. First, the deluxe version is not an option which means they want us to buy the DLC separately at full price. Second....

I play the game on a Mac desktop and a Windows gaming laptop and it is annoying that the upgrades and DLC for OS X and Widows are not released simultaneously. However I don’t expect the iOS version of the game to ever be compatible with the Mac/Windows versions. I will play both versions as completely seperate and independent games.

My guess is that this release is a gamble and an experiment by the developers to see if there is a market for high quality iOS games that are full featured, full priced and comparable to the type of PC/Xbox games played by serious gamers.

I’ve only been able to find two games in the app store that come close to all the games I’ve bought from Steam, they are Xcom and Civ 6. I really hope the Civ 6 experiment pays off as I would like to see more games in the app store like the games I buy from Steam. The new iPad Pro is a very convenient mobile gaming platform, they have sufficient processing power and battery life, now all we need are some decent games in the app store, Experiments like this will test whether people are prepared to pay Steam prices for high quality games.

Last edited:
From the reviews it suggests there is support for Mods. Is that correct?

How do you download mods? Can somebody tell me if my maps play on iPad Civ VI?! :crazyeye:

Try Scrambled Australia (maybe not the Large size map. The Tiny map is based on the one in Outback Tycoon scenario from the Australia DLC) → https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/scrambled-australia.26427/

I haven’t tried any mods yet. Still fooling around with the game. :p

Will try to figure out mods later. I am a bit of a Luddite. Lol.

I currently play Civ 6 on my 2017 iMac, which to be honest, I pretty much bought in order to play Civ 6 :eek: I already had a MacBook, but the MacBook isn't supported for Civ 6. I'm having a hard time understanding how an iPad has the processing/graphics processing power to run Civ 6 when 2-3 year-old Macs can't?

I have an iPad Mini 4, and I swear I'm NOT going to go buy a new iPad in order to play Civ 6 on it.. definitely not... I think.. ya, not. :crazyeye:

I currently play Civ 6 on my 2017 iMac, which to be honest, I pretty much bought in order to play Civ 6 :eek: I already had a MacBook, but the MacBook isn't supported for Civ 6. I'm having a hard time understanding how an iPad has the processing/graphics processing power to run Civ 6 when 2-3 year-old Macs can't?

I have an iPad Mini 4, and I swear I'm NOT going to go buy a new iPad in order to play Civ 6 on it.. definitely not... I think.. ya, not. :crazyeye:

The iPad Pro gets a super-powered A9X processor chip, one that Apple claims is close to twice the speed of the iPad Air 2's A8X.
"The iPad Pro is far and away the fastest iOS device we have ever made - its A9X chip beats most portable PCs in both CPU and graphics tasks," said Apple marketing boss Phil Schiller.

Try playing Civ VI on a bootcamp Win 7/8/10 partition. I played Civ VI on an unsupported 11" MacBook Air (2012) for 3 months! :D
(Though I turned graphics to min. and played Small sized maps or less).

It would be great if there were Civ VI for the Nintendo Switch.

This would give the Nintendo Switch more higher-budget strategy games, not just Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, which has similar gameplay mechanics to another Firaxis game.
I would buy that for my switch, but only if there was some way to add mods. Base game has too many balance issues, not to mention the terrible UI.

The iPad Pro gets a super-powered A9X processor chip, one that Apple claims is close to twice the speed of the iPad Air 2's A8X.
"The iPad Pro is far and away the fastest iOS device we have ever made - its A9X chip beats most portable PCs in both CPU and graphics tasks," said Apple marketing boss Phil Schiller.
"super-powered" lol. marketing talk is pretty cute some times.

Last edited by a moderator:
But you can still make a good game and have a good port without making it look like friggin Clash of Clans. The older artstyles of civ were far better, and not only that but they keep leaving out features that people actually liked from older games. Heck, some of the features they are "adding" are just things they've had in games past and/or are ripping off of Endless Legend.
Fraxis cannot make good games anymore outside of Xcom
"like" is subjective. That's kinda my whole point. You can love or hate the graphics all you want, but that translate exactly 0% into technical effort. Literally zero correlation. You think Disney spend less CGI time on Frozen compared to their other titles? Hah :)

Top Bottom