1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ6 for iPad

Discussion in 'Civ6 - iPad & iPhone' started by Phoenix1595, Dec 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. KWagle

KWagle Chieftain

For the same reasons as I need to save in a full game. And what if I like the starting situation and want to play it again? :D

More importantly, what if 'save' just wasn't implemented because iPads aren't supposed to work that way? Remember the controversy when MacOS save changed to be more like iOS save?

~ Kiran <entropy@prismnet.com>

2. KWagle

KWagle Chieftain

That seems reasonable until you consider the cost of an engineering team porting an app to a new and untested platform. And if this is successful and more games are ported to iPad, more games will be using Metal instead of some DirectX translation layer. That means better Mac performance in the future (I won't be surprised if the expansion adds Metal support) and eventual Apple TV support. So $30 doesn't seem so bad to me.

Arnold_T likes this.
  3. AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan Chieftain

I think that's a valid concern.

However, I don't have any dates I can give out. While getting everything caught up is definitely our goal, there remains a few technical issues to sort out.

As for a discount, it should come as no surprise that it's somewhat tricky to coordinate a purchase in one store to set up a discount in another store.

4. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Chieftain

I play Civ on a 2 year old 17” Dell Alienware gamlng laptop and the battery only lasts about an hour when I’m gaming. At about turn 100 the twin fans are running flat out and are pretty noisy.

I played civ on my new iPad Pro last night for an hour and half and used about 20% of the battery and the iPad hadn’t noticeably warmed up. I was only playing with the default tiny map and restarted the game a couple of times. Battery drain and heat build up might be different on bigger maps and further into the game.

5. bbbt

bbbt Warlord

This makes me wonder if they are attempting to implement metal support in the MacOs version of civ, and that's part of the patch delay.

iamliberal and Siptah like this.
  6. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

The million-dollar question I would like to ask is if it's possible to port Civ VI onto the Nintendo Switch, especially given the Switch's impressive library of AAA games.

The Switch is at par or more powerful than the iPad (depending on the iPad model).

7. rastak

rastak Chieftain

Never heard of it but I'm old and not up on the latest stuff. I will say it runs like a champ on my ipad pro.

8. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

The Nintendo Switch only came out on March 2017 and was consistently sold out for its first six months.

Read about the Switch here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Switch

9. conorbebe

conorbebe Chieftain

From playing the demo I’m personally quite impressed with the port. It’s a shame there’s no animated leaders (and that they chose such a weird-looking still of Teddy), but the fact that the game is basically the same as the PC version minus the DLC, mods, and more recent updates, this is an impressive feat. I’m actually tempted to buy it.

I’m still salty that we had no idea this was going to be a thing though. More communication on what Firaxis and Aspyr are up to would go a long way.

EricTheGreat12 likes this.
  10. rastak

rastak Chieftain

Yea, I was pretty much shocked to the point of thinking it was a hoax when I saw the tweet. Honestly, it runs great and completely worth the $30 USD for me. I understand everyone has a different financial situation but as a dummy who buys way too many games I'll never play I already love this one. Between it and Through The Ages I'm set for stuff to do on the ipad.

Arnold_T likes this.
  11. Alexis Layton

Alexis Layton Chieftain

My one wish is they would scale down the UI graphics 30–50%. This would apply to everything but the map and the top bar, which are fine; but if it covers the map it needs to take up less space. Since you tend to hold a tablet close there is no need for those elements to be that large. Also it would be nice to zoom out to see more of the map than the maximum it currently allows.

Arnold_T likes this.
  12. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Chieftain

I agree, but would also like to see the top bar and grid information pop-ups included in the scale down. Those UI graphics are a too intrusive. My work around has been to minimise the mini map and tech/civics menu while I’m not using them. Hopefully it will happen in a future update.

Arnold_T likes this.
  13. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

I have done the same thing. I might even start doing it when playing on the PC. The science/civic progression gauges are clearer re Eureka/Inspiration progress.

kingchris20 likes this.
  14. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    Well, I caved. Bought an iPad Pro and civ 6. Aspyr really did an amazing job porting this to iOS! Absolutely fantastic so far!

Game does come with Monty and some scenarios, but the foundation is certainly built for DLC and possibly mod support, as the menu system there looks identical to its pc counterpart.

Multiplayer is not a thing (yet?). The only options currently are hot seat and local network. Who knows, may be a possibility in the future?

As I get further into my first game I’ll report back with performance issues if any. There is a pop up note when trying to select a map size larger than standard, it reads something to the effect of slower than expected turn times.

EDIT: Oh and I recall someone asking about strategic view earlier, ....there doesn’t appear to be one unfortunately. Unless I’m just missing it somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    donald23 likes this.
  15. blackbutterfly

blackbutterfly Chieftain

How is the interface? The fact that everything is clickable on Civ VI maps/UIs must make it very suitable for touch though sometimes very annoying for mouse+keyboard. Perhaps it's better as a touch game?

16. kingchris20

kingchris20 Wisdom Seeker

Resident of Heaven; Currently in the Waiting Room
    I really like the ui, everything just feels natural and works as you’d expect it to. Obviously it’s somewhat limited by screen real estate, but even there they did a great job balancing panel sizes. Everything is very responsive regarding the touch interface. I’d agree that it feels more fluid as a touch interface as opposed to m/kb.

Being able to hide/minimize the tech panel and the minimap really helps with map viewing. The action panel cannot be minimized, but that seems expected. Also there was not enough real estate in the top bar to show strategic resources nor trade route owned/available. Other than that it doesn’t look much different than its PC counterpart.very impressed.

Currently at turn 161 in my first game standard map size with 8 civs, and the turn times have started to lengthen. Currently taking 15-20 seconds as opposed to near instant at the start of the game when there were hardly any units/cities to process.

Arnold_T and blackbutterfly like this.
  17. doolar

doolar Chieftain

Some 180 turns later on my Ipad Mini 4, and I have to say I’m impressed. I didn’t get the ”not supported device” message even though the Mini 4’s processor is slower than the Air 2’s, and not listed as supported.

But, it’s a bit sluggish now, but far from unplayable. Game, controls and UI works fine. As others have said, some scaling options or tweaks would be the first thing for Aspyr to fix, on the Mini it’s more UI than game almost. :)

Heat seems to be ok, battery usage is as expected high, I’m gonna test battery life today.

Merry Christmas!

Edit: forgot, I have a little more than 200 hours logged in Civ6. I miss the DLC’s and the tweaks made to the tech tree, but hopefully it will come later.

Edit 2: One hour of playing Civ saw the battery go from 97% to 71%, so 3 hours are what to expect from the Mini 4.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    kingchris20 likes this.
  18. doolar

doolar Chieftain

Continued my game yesterday on the Mini 4. Playing Trajan, standard map on King.

At around turn 260 it started to take around 30-40 seconds to process a turn. Animations such as capturing a city is very choppy. But gameplay and moving around on the map and moving troops are fine, some stutters here and there, but not something I can’t live with. If it was like this on an Ipad Pro I’d be somewhat dissapointed, but on my little Mini it’s ok. And the important stuff, moving around, is fine.

Having a blast in the couch or bed. I just had a shoulder surgery and can’t sit for hours by the computer, and both my laptops are to cumbersome with only one arm to use. This release is a godsend!

Currently at turn 310, heading towards a domination, in a race with Peter who raced away with science. His troops are well upgraded too, damn the AI has come far since release, it’s actually a bit of a challenge even on King. ;)

Played from 100% charge through 11% yesterday, I got 3.5 hours of playtime. That’s really impressive from the little Mini 4!

But all is not perfect:

1. UI needs to be tweaked or preferrably give us a slider to adjust it.
    2. I wish a higher zoom level, both ways. When you are sieging a city, it can be hard to pick your unit, and I’d like more zoom out to not have to scroll as much.
    3. You can’t view where you are in line in the Great persons panel.
    4. Not a problem per se, but please make all the DLC’s available.
    5. Game sound doesn’t work if you have the Ipad in silent ringer mode.
    Happy holidays!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  19. havox79

havox79 Chieftain

Tested with my iPad pro 10.5, it's really the entire game (like at the release at least, I guess it don't get the computer version patches) and playable as much as it can be on this kind of screen size. With a software like iExplorer or PhoneView you can even explore some of the game files, you can change some options (like the retina support option) and it support mod transfer.
    It would be cool to made a new section in the forum for share information about this version customization. like share experience about options effects according to the device and mod support because some work, some don't. You can enable debug menu and FireTuner so I think it's possible to track why some mods don't work, probably because this is the released version and some mods are made for the last patch but it's early conclusion, I did not do enough experiments.
    A place for sharing what mod and what mod version work would be nice^^

Jaybe and doolar like this.
  20. Stevanovic

Stevanovic Chieftain

I did a search on google and found out how to change the graphics of the game to Retina mode. That made a huge improvement to playability on my 12.9 iPad Pro and screen resolution is now similar to the game on my PC, but it’s really only recommended for iPads with the A10X processor.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Arnold_T likes this.