Civ6 for iPad

On both Mac and PC I use;
* More Lenses
* Better Report Screen
I’ve tried them both on my iPad without success.

Not being able to get mods to work on my iPad is not much of an issue for me. I’m away from home a fair bit and have played a lot of hours on my iPad without mods.

What will be annoying is if we ever get R&F and I can’t get the Era: No Change Brightness mod working. I really do not like the way Firaxis changes my screen brightness.

Last edited:
It seems that mods that add custom graphical elements (mainly units or buildings) won't work with iPad. This has propably something to do with how the modding tools create art files and their lack of compatibility with iOS graphic interfaces (or something like that).

It means that mods like MOAR Units and Steel and Thunder Units are not working (atleast fully). I tried Steel and Thunder and found out that most units that are based on vanilla units do work (explorer, longswords, rider/horseman). Some are ok (mortar, although it's spread on 3 tiles). Some hurt your eyes more (gatling, unplayable) or less (trebuchet) badly and some crash the game (cuirassier), didn't go far enough to see how self propelled artillery looks. Also Religion Expanded won't work (fact) as it adds buildings (presumption). Sadly JFD's Rule with Faith won't work either.

I have only tried 1 UI mod (Better Trade Screen) but it's layout went all over the screen and froze the whole game.

On the other hand many mods that only affect gameplay but not visuals work ok. I'm playing with the following set:

8 Ages of Pace
8 Ages of War
Adaptive Difficulty
AI+
Detailed Worlds (version 1.2)
Historicity++
Immersive Dialogue
Improved Sewers
Incoming Trade Route Gold
Quo's Chiefdom Wildcard
Real Tech Tree
Rhino's City State Balance v1.1
Settlers Retreat
TCS Customizable Warmongering Penalties 1.1
TCS Improved Aerodrome 1.1
TCS Improved Forts and Engineers
TCS Improved Water Yields
TCS Naval Raiders Ignore Borders
Tomatekh's Historical Religions

Toussaint's civilizations also seem to work, I'm currently using his Sioux and Zulu civs. Some of JFD's civs load (tested with Italy) but haven't played with it, may have problems with Unique Units? And some of JFD's leaders (Aztec and China) but I also have yet to actually play with them.

Thanks for the list, a few of which I’m using also. I’ll check these out. On the UI side I’ve been using:

CIVIG (demographics mod)
Gold Resourse
Good Goody Huts
Unit Report Screen

And of course the “ui scale 1” thing

Joining because I bought an iPad Pro just to buy/play Civ 6; I haven't played it on any platform since I stopped PC gaming a while back and after ~80 hours of Civ 5. Not sure how the game runs/looks/feels on Windows/Mac but the iPad version is certainly hugely playable and the touch controls actually work really well. I enabled retina straight away so not sure if the default is worse.

On the mods discussion, can confirm Better Trade Screen didn't work at all and Production Queue prevented the game loading altogether. TCS Improved Water Yields works as Jifanodd mentions above, and I'm also having success with Diplomatic Total and Quo's Fewer AI Tantrums.

Haven't tried anything else - any recommendations?

Also, am I right in thinking that access to the mod creation environment is dependent on owning the game on Steam?

Thanks

I enabled retina straight away so not sure if the default is worse.
Screen captures allow you to make side by side comparisons. I captured the Trajan loading screen and a zoomed out map of a late game in progress with retina on and off. Fonts were noticeably sharper with retina on but there wasn’t much difference between the map images. Screen resolution was unchanged.

It´s updated with summer and fall 2017 updates! I love my new religion lense, diplomacy screen, gurus and all! I wonder if this brings more compatibility with some mods, some of them are updated to fall 2017 and may require it? Have to try sometime soon. Thanks aspyr, Civ6 on iPad will be stealing even more of my time!

Is it just me or is does anyone else get a big red exclamation mark on Holy Site when you build Dar-e Mehr religous building? The building is added to Holy Site but the HS graphics disappear leaving plain ground and ! shows up. Dar-e Mehr is available as belief building.

Unit Report Screen doesn’t work anymore and seems to interfere with the new game version of the report screen

Hey guys,

Did anyone get JFD Rule with faith to work?
Lua.log logs an error while loading the game:
Code:
Runtime Error: /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/EAB0312D-D43F-4411-803A-2403AFC085F7/Documents/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods/JFD's Rule With Faith/Lua/UI/Overrides/TechAndCivicSupport.lua:291: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
    /var/mobile/Containers/Data/Application/EAB0312D-D43F-4411-803A-2403AFC085F7/Documents/Sid Meier's Civilization VI/Mods/JFD's Rule With Faith/Lua/UI/Overrides/TechAndCivicSupport.lua:291: in function 'PopulateUnlockablesForCivic'
    /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/7019A7A6-EBB6-440D-9D8C-04EBEA470767/Civ6_iOS64_Metal_FinalRelease.app/Base/Assets/UI/Screens/CivicsTree_TABLET.lua:490: in function 'AllocateUI'
    /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/7019A7A6-EBB6-440D-9D8C-04EBEA470767/Civ6_iOS64_Metal_FinalRelease.app/Base/Assets/UI/Screens/CivicsTree_TABLET.lua:2064: in function 'Initialize'
    /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/7019A7A6-EBB6-440D-9D8C-04EBEA470767/Civ6_iOS64_Metal_FinalRelease.app/Base/Assets/UI/Screens/CivicsTree_TABLET.lua:2133: in function '(main chunk)'
    [C]: in function '(anonymous)'
Lua callstack:
 - Error loading /private/var/containers/Bundle/Application/7019A7A6-EBB6-440D-9D8C-04EBEA470767/Civ6_iOS64_Metal_FinalRelease.app/Base/Assets/UI/Screens/CivicsTree_TABLET.lua.
TutorialUIRoot: Loading bank of items for tutorial scenario: 'BASE'

Is there anything we can do? How can we debug the API from CIV which is accessed via LUA?
Can anyone who probably jailbreaked his IPad upload the contents of the CIV 6 App, so we can explore the LUA scripts in there?

@havox79: Do you have been able to play with JFD Rule with faith with the current patches on IPad? You also stated, that you quite skilled now in modifying mods in a way they work with IPad. Would it be possible to share your knowledge, so we can find a way to make more mods work on IPad? Thanks!

As far as i know current RwF version requires R&F expansion whichbwe dont’t have. If I remember correctly version 8 of RwF starts on ipad but had some issues with governments. Forced me to remove the mod, don’t remember exactly what it was.

Thank you for your answer.
I tried v8 and the most recent "vanilla" version from the RwF thread (GoogleDrive -> folder vanilla). Both have the same problem, that the custom policy slots are not visible in the UI. The corresponding error I posted is related to it (it seems that the table-variable which should contain the custom slots is not correctly populated).
I also posted a bug report in the original RwF thread - maybe someone of the gurus can help us.

I think it would help a lot if someone who jailbreaked his IPad could upload the full Civ 6.app (maybe there are other ways to extract the contents of the app, too)...

Here's one way to get the app data if you have a mac:

* Install and run "Apple Configurator 2" (this is Apple's software for businesses to manage many ipads)

* Connect your ipad, select it in the app, click the "Add" button in the toolbar

* Find Civ 6 in your list of purchased apps, and select it, wait for the download to finish

* Configurator will notice that the app is already installed and ask you what you want to do. Don't click anything yet.

At this point the .ipa file has been downloaded to your Mac, and configurator won't clean it up until it thinks it is done. For me, the file was at:

~/Library/Group Containers/K36BKF7T3D.group.com.apple.configurator/Library/Caches/Assets/TemporaryItems/MobileApps/307C94EB-D0A6-4A62-BF30-86754C40BB64/1235863443/Civ VI 1.0.4.ipa

If you're using the finder you'll need to hold down Option and select Library from the Go menu, then navigate down until you find the ipa file. Some of those numbers may be different, but basically anything under MobileApps that has the right name is probably the file you want.

* Copy the file somewhere else (Desktop or wherever).

* Tell Configurator to Skip this app. It won't do anything to your iPad and you can quit the app. It will also clean up that .ipa file under MobileApps, which is why you need to make a copy before letting Configurator continue.

* Rename the .ipa file to end with .zip instead of .ipa. (.ipa files are how apple packages ios apps, but internally they are zip files). Confirm that you really want to use .zip as the extension.

* Double-click the Civ VI zip file and it should expand into a folder containing the contents of the game.

* Open the Civ VI folder, open "Payload", then right click on Civ6_iOS64_Metal_FinalRelease and select "Show Package Contents". You should see all of the game data files here. For example Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data has a lot of the xml files that determine gameplay.

For the longest after I added my Pirate mod to Civ 6 for iPad, I could not get the art/icons to appear in game. Apparently somewhere along the way, Aspyr has updated it and now my Pirate Mod works just as it does on PC, with art and everything!

I did not update the mod, so apparently it was something Aspyr did on their end to make it work! HYPE!

For the longest after I added my Pirate mod to Civ 6 for iPad, I could not get the art/icons to appear in game. Apparently somewhere along the way, Aspyr has updated it and now my Pirate Mod works just as it does on PC, with art and everything!

I did not update the mod, so apparently it was something Aspyr did on their end to make it work! HYPE!

Does that mean that all mods including altered graphics are working now?

Which version of the game are you running?

OK weird. There was no update (at least the version number didn't change)... But I can confirm that
Steel and Thunder: Unique Units 1.11
is working... See screenshot of custom unit "Peltast" with custom art.
Datei 20.07.18, 23 10 58.png

This is really GREAT!

Now that cross-platform multiplayer is working for Mac and PC, how long will it be before iPad will be able to join in?

Top Bottom