Civ6 is the spiritual successor to Call to Power!

Horizons

Needing fed again!
Does anyone remember Call to Power all those years ago?

It took the basic premis of Civ2 and added things like borders, non-military units (slavers, lawyers, eco-terrorists, lots of others) and contemporary politically-correct themes (the world wonders were replaced by social projects like legalization of all drugs lol). It also introduced the concept of cities becoming disloyal if they became too unhappy.

Civ6 is so heavily influenced by CTP, right down the cartoonish graphics. It has disloyaly and rebellion, rock bands, and slavish obedience to contemporary politically correct themes (global warming, women scientists, no mention of slavery or any slavery-based mechanics despite this being an essential part of thosuands of years of civilization).

I'm not necessarily complaining, either. I think Civ7 should include lawyer units, which prevent a city from completing its production. This is hilarious and adds flavour to the game. Civ2 was a boring history simulator, but what we need is a totally woke gamified system with lots of super annoying mechanics that allow a braindead AI to be competitive.

Amirite :)

Moderator Action: Please do not post troll bait, by referring to the inclusion of such things as "women scientists" and "global warming" as "slavish obedience to contemporary politically correct themes". Phrasing your post in such a way is liable to provoke negative reactions and unnecessary disputes. Please ensure you phrase your posts in a manner more conducive to civil and productive discussion - Camikaze
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some aspects from Call to Power that I miss. The city management was much better. You could order your cities by production, gold. The worker tasks could be automated but with some control like restricting to a city, or a task like cleaning rainforest (they made the city sick), or build roads, or build a sequence of farms (irrigated farms produced more food and it need to be adjacent to a fresh water source or another irrigated farm so it was common to have a chain of them).

Huh. I thought I owned Call to Power, but none of this sounds familiar. I remember things like being able to build cities underwater and building magrails for fast movement. I also remember there weren't any builders; you had to generate some kind of public works points to place improvements on the map. Maybe I'm thinking of Test of Time. I vaguely remember it being made by Activision.

Civ6 contains some references to slavery: the Aztecs' ability to capture defeated units and make them "workers," and the "Triangular Trade" policy card. I know, i know, "triangular trade" is a neutral concept but it is so vividly associated with the slave trade (at least that's when I learned the term in high school) that it really really bothers me that they call it that.

Civ6 also got the CTP "soothsayers" unit (was it also called that in CTP?)

Top Bottom