Civ6 June Update Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's not part of the Frontier pass than I'm not as sour. I'm not sure why you're attacking my maturity though, I haven't attacked anyone personally or used profanity. I'm just expressing the fact that I'm disappointed in the new game modes.

Well, you made a mistake, and as a result you were proudly complaining about something that was obviously false. When you complain in a very vocal way about buying something that you have not bought, your actions present you as an inmature person that should know better, I just corrected you out loud.

Now, we all make mistakes, and some of those mistakes make us look really stupid. It happens to all of us, and it will happen to me. The appropriated response is to own the mistake, instead being mad at the people who pointed it out.

Moderator Action: If you have an issue with something on the forum, please report the post and let staff handle it. Getting personal is uncivil and not allowed on the forums. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, but they already have my money and I'm finding out that they've spent their resources on this nonsense. I thought I was buying a Civ game, not X-Com or a Zombie Apocalypse game. I really disliked the decision to make the game a cartoon and I dislike the fact that they're incorporating sci fi/fantasy/horror elements even more. If they aren't going to take their historical theme a little more seriously at some point I'll get sour on the franchise and lose interest. If you like it that's fine, I suppose it's just a game after all. Just the same, Civ will lose my attention if they insist on changing the character of the game.
I've never played the Red Death at all. If they are going to add zombies and aliens I'm at least glad it's part of the multiplayer scenario, and not in the actual main game.

Is Red Death a scenario? Because I can't seem to find it.
Yes it could be under the multiplayer option because it's supposed to be a multiplayer scenario.

Is Red Death a scenario? Because I can't seem to find it.
You may have to play in multiplayer or mimic multiplayer by setting up a game with only the AI. That, of course, may change with "Season 2"

However this is a free update, not a part of the paid DLC. I'm the first one being harsh with Firaxis when I think there are reasons for criticism, but there is no reason to complain about a free game update for everyone. U don't like the red death? Don't use it, it is content they delivered for free and that some players like. Just don't complain on having spent money that you haven't spent for this.
While I understand the "optional" argument, and "some people will like it" argument (I would have used them in the base game if they were available... and if I wanted to play the base game), I still have the opinion that "free update" is not a valid counter-argument to "use of development resources", as said before we paid for those resources with the base game, and the perception of said base to be in a "finished" state (ie one being a satisfied customer ready to buy the next product) is a matter of personal taste.

Now it's mostly artist development time, and they seem to have enough to keep them busy on a side project. Pretty sure the coding time is not lost either, as adding more AI flexibility in a scenario can be used for the base game when a specific state requires a specific behavior for example.

Hopefully a few of them will get rebalanced too. A good test would be to double the yields on them and think if they would be OP or not
Chocolate hills - 1f/2p/1s -> 2f/4p/2s: okay, that would probably be a little strong, but not a ton better than a good Torres del Paine spot, worse even still given you can't improve them.
Gobustan - 3c/1p -> 6c/2p: I mean, even at a 6 culture tile, that's not a lot better than the best Paititi-tile, and Paititi is only a bonus onto base tile yields
Ubunusur - 1f/1p/2fa -> 2/2/4: Not OP in the least. It's a good yield for the tundra, but not even a great yield for a tile compared to some
Everest - 1fa to adj -> 2 fa to adj: Like the Matterhorn, the yields are minor compared to the bonus. But even the bonus is just ok. Matterhorn you get a combat bonus and movement bonus, feels like Everest they could easily do something like "apostles gain a promotion moving next to Everest", and yeah, that would be strong, but still highly situational. Or perhaps at least it should give all religious units moving next to it a +5 combat strength, or an extra charge.
Retba - 1p/2g/2c -> 2p/4g/4c: doubling it would certainly make them strong tiles, but the lack of food doesn't make it a crazy yield.

Otherwise, it's still hard to balance some wonders like the Dead Sea or the Matterhorn, which have low yields, but a solid secondary effect. And I don't think every tile needs to be "fountain of Youth/Paititi"-level strength. But yeah, all the ones you listed at least are ones where I see them and are like "okay, cool. So what was I doing before?" rather than the ones like Torres, Galapagos, Great Barrier Reef, Eyja..., etc where I see them and immediately think if I can find a city spot nearby to make use of them.

These 6 are the problem ones, though I would not be against the addition of some interesting secondary bonuses to other wonders.

New RDs2 Achievements:
Ashes of Time: Wanderers - Explore 30 city ruins across multiple games.
Experience Is Everything: Preppers - Have 5 units earn 5 promotions across multiple games.
It's Alive!: Mad Scientists - Heal 1000 health points across multiple games.
Hope Springs Eternal: Be defeated 5 times in the Red Death scenario.
From the Outer Darkness: Mutants - Attack a unit outside the Red Death while inside the Red Death 20 times.
Getting Pruney: Pirates - Spend 50 turns in the water across multiple games.
U mad, bro?: Borderlords - Trick enemy factions into triggering Grieving Gifts 5 times across multiple games.
It Hungers: Cultists - Kill 10 units with the Undying Eye
NERDS!: Jocks - Use Hail Marys to wound, but not kill, 5 Civilians across multiple games.
They're coming to get you, Barbara: Zombie Beastmasters - Spawn 30 Zombie Hordes through combat kills.
Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Aliens - Attack while cloaked 20 times.

Well, you made a mistake, and as a result you were proudly complaining about something that was obviously false. When you complain in a very vocal way about buying something that you have not bought, your actions present you as an inmature person that should know better, I just corrected you out loud.

Now, we all make mistakes, and some of those mistakes make us look really stupid. It happens to all of us, and it will happen to me. The appropriated response is to own the mistake, instead being mad at the people who pointed it out.

You're trying to dunk on me for confusing the Frontier Pass with an ordinary update but it doesn't really matter what sort of update it is because I *have* paid for this already; it's part of the game we all bought. Personally I don't like the direction they're taking the game regardless. I'm just expressing my opinion and you're making ad hominem attacks, bless your heart. I'm done with this thread.

New RDs2 Achievements:
Ashes of Time: Wanderers - Explore 30 city ruins across multiple games.
Experience Is Everything: Preppers - Have 5 units earn 5 promotions across multiple games.
It's Alive!: Mad Scientists - Heal 1000 health points across multiple games.
Hope Springs Eternal: Be defeated 5 times in the Red Death scenario.
From the Outer Darkness: Mutants - Attack a unit outside the Red Death while inside the Red Death 20 times.
Getting Pruney: Pirates - Spend 50 turns in the water across multiple games.
U mad, bro?: Borderlords - Trick enemy factions into triggering Grieving Gifts 5 times across multiple games.
It Hungers: Cultists - Kill 10 units with the Undying Eye
NERDS!: Jocks - Use Hail Marys to wound, but not kill, 5 Civilians across multiple games.
They're coming to get you, Barbara: Zombie Beastmasters - Spawn 30 Zombie Hordes through combat kills.
Out of Sight, Out of Mind: Aliens - Attack while cloaked 20 times.

Sigh… that's a lot of Red Death games to play to get all those.

You're trying to dunk on me for confusing the Frontier Pass with an ordinary update but it doesn't really matter what sort of update it is because I *have* paid for this already; it's part of the game we all bought. Personally I don't like the direction they're taking the game regardless. I'm just expressing my opinion and you're making ad hominem attacks, bless your heart. I'm done with this thread.

Come on, the game is a product, when you buy a game you can see reviews, you have the promotion material you can test it. If you don't like it or feel is unfinished you should ask for your money back. And next time, look at what you buy before you buy it.

If you bought Civ 6 hopping that future updates would make the prize you paid worth it. And when that did not happen and you felt betrayed, you are the only one to blame, for using your wallet wrong. Granted this is something many game companies try to push as a standard, but we are the ones to blame for buying into that crap.

The thing that you should understand is that no company is required to change something to your liking after you buy it unless it is fundamentally broken or you were deceived into buying it, in which case the moment to complain has long passed regarding Civ 6, which is a 4-year-old game. And again your complain is even more absurd, since instead of discussing any problem the game may have, you are complaining about free optional content that you havent seen yet, as if that devaluates the product you got somehow.

Think about your position is in this way. Imagine you bought a car, and somewhere down the line the company sends you a free radio to put in your car as a gift. And then you decide to get angry cause you dont like this direction the company is having with radios, and you start to shout that you will not buy any other car form this company. This is what you are doing now. You are being ridiculous, and are kind of embarrassing yourself.

Now, you can discuss about what content would you like to be added for the game in an honest way, or you can endlessly complain on how badly you spend your money, which none of us cares about.

EDIT: I’m not using ad hominem; ad hominem is to attack the person to avoid addressing his argument. I pointed out that your argument is ridiculous and incorrect, and made you responsible for using it.

While I understand the "optional" argument, and "some people will like it" argument (I would have used them in the base game if they were available... and if I wanted to play the base game), I still have the opinion that "free update" is not a valid counter-argument to "use of development resources", as said before we paid for those resources with the base game, and the perception of said base to be in a "finished" state (ie one being a satisfied customer ready to buy the next product) is a matter of personal taste.

Now it's mostly artist development time, and they seem to have enough to keep them busy on a side project. Pretty sure the coding time is not lost either, as adding more AI flexibility in a scenario can be used for the base game when a specific state requires a specific behavior for example.

Weu didn't pay for all the future resources of Firaxis. If anything we adquired an undisclosed arbitrary amount of support for the game for an undetermined amount of time, that could have been cero. So no, this argument is invalid.

Also what money are we talking about?, is not NF, since you get this content regardless you have the pass or not. So are we saying that the money we may have paid for the game 4 years ago entile us to demand what do they add to the game now? Cause I don't think it works this way.

Any amount of support you get when you buy a videogame is not agreed upon when you buy it, unless it is a subscription model or something I have missed and cannot be applied to civ. Much less the nature of said support. So we like it or not, it makes cero sense to complain on the use of resources to give you something you have not paid for, on the basis of the money you have spent before.

You can argue that the game is faulty and those faults should be addressed. But that is a completely separated point he did not make. And still would require a complete lack of understanding how company resources work in this situation.

Company resources don't work like there is a predetermined amount assigned to the game and if they use them for something they cannot do a different thing. Now probably a small (and arbitrary) amount of resources are used in civ. And those resources are assigned to tasks according to executive decissions, removing content does not grant you more resources for the things you want. In this case, with less new content you also may have less resources and less support. After 4 years of support, whatever content u think the game should have and does not. The reason is not lack of resources, but more likely that Fxs does not care much about the things you or we care for.

Seeing all the discussions, I have to ask: is it only me or since the NFP the AI got better?
No it is not only you. I've also pointed out, in several threads that since NFP AI is much better on eg.: Diety huge marathon + Apocalypse. I have the feeling many forum members just talk from memory and actually did not try a game since long, since they got disappointed. And yes in the beginning it was quite bad, so I can understand the disappointment. With all expansions and patches in my experience it got better, counter to what others claim: that because of added complexity it got worse. No. Despite the added complexity or due to added complexity it got better. Of course it is still not that good, but comparing it to much older versions is misleading in my opinion. For example, it seems that now they are capable of regrouping their army after they are attacked, so while conquering a single city is still relatively easy, conquering multiple cities is now much more difficult. And that is only one example, I can give several others.

No it is not only you. I've also pointed out, in several threads that since NFP AI is much better on eg.: Diety huge marathon + Apocalypse. I have the feeling many forum members just talk from memory and actually did not try a game since long, since they got disappointed. And yes in the beginning it was quite bad, so I can understand the disappointment. With all expansions and patches in my experience it got better, counter to what others claim: that because of added complexity it got worse. No. Despite the added complexity or due to added complexity it got better. Of course it is still not that good, but comparing it to much older versions is misleading in my opinion. For example, it seems that now they are capable of regrouping their army after they are attacked, so while conquering a single city is still relatively easy, conquering multiple cities is now much more difficult. And that is only one example, I can give several others.

Agree, it is hard to pin out what changes were made in what momment after 17 AI updates. But the AI works better defensively and has a couple of new cool behaviours. There are still some bugs, like sometimes units fail to be used on deffense and stand still next to city being attacked (happened in my last game with a couple of naval and ranged units). The AI is still not using ranged garrisons properly to defend their cities, and specially it doesnt use late game, air or sea units as effectively as they should.

The weakness of the AI larguely remains in the attack and city planning side of things. In addition, there are still some problems with trade, favors, and competitions. Also they seem to be a bit too pasive, specially late game.

Last edited:
Ah, the frustration of scenario and multiplayer trophies... I am quite a completionist, and I like getting all the trophies in the games I really enjoy. However, I just can't force myself to play scenarios, and especially multiplayer ones. I love the Civ series for the open-world experience of building an empire over 6 millenia. Scenarios are just too confined, too short, and too gamey for me to enjoy. I tried several scenarios a few times, but I always find myself quitting after 10 or 20 turns, tops. Then there is multiplayer... I am not competitive at all, and the combination of a scenario, which already is uninteresting to me, with a multiplayer element makes the whole thing simply abhorent.

It is cool many players enjoy Red Death, but personally I would have prefered the developers to spend their time on stuff I care for, that is - polishing the true Civ experience of empire-building in an open world.

Weu didn't pay for all the future resources of Firaxis. If anything we adquired an undisclosed arbitrary amount of support for the game for an undetermined amount of time, that could have been cero. So no, this argument is invalid.

Also what money are we talking about?, is not NF, since you get this content regardless you have the pass or not. So are we saying that the money we may have paid for the game 4 years ago entile us to demand what do they add to the game now? Cause I don't think it works this way.

Any amount of support you get when you buy a videogame is not agreed upon when you buy it, unless it is a subscription model or something I have missed and cannot be applied to civ. Much less the nature of said support. So we like it or not, it makes cero sense to complain on the use of resources to give you something you have not paid for, on the basis of the money you have spent before.

You can argue that the game is faulty and those faults should be addressed. But that is a completely separated point he did not make. And still would require a complete lack of understanding how company resources work in this situation.

Company resources don't work like there is a predetermined amount assigned to the game and if they use them for something they cannot do a different thing. Now probably a small (and arbitrary) amount of resources are used in civ. And those resources are assigned to tasks according to executive decissions, removing content does not grant you more resources for the things you want. In this case, with less new content you also may have less resources and less support. After 4 years of support, whatever content u think the game should have and does not. The reason is not lack of resources, but more likely that Fxs does not care much about the things you or we care for.
You can present things on such terms as long as you want, that's not the point.

I know very well what I paid for when I bought civ6, as I did for civ4, as I did for civ5, thank you very much.

I got it for civ4, I got it for civ5, but not for civ6 (yet).

No problem with that it's fine, I paid, as in past action, not asking for a refund here.

The point is that Mr. Shadows, you, me, and a few thousands users on various medias are giving feedback to Firaxis on what we like and what we don't like about how they're using that money.

The point is also to tell them if they are going to get our money for civ7, for an individual example, as of today, they won't get mine.

So I think that Mr. Shadows, you, me, and everyone else have every right to tell them what we still expect from civ6 to influence our decision when the time will come to buy civ7, there is nothing ridiculous in doing that, and having multiple users here trying to dismiss other people opinions using the "it's free" argument make me think they have a very talented marketing department (to prevent misunderstanding, please note that I don't think it's the only one)

Since when is civ a „historical game“ anyway?The Canadian-Korean in 5000 BC does not Pop up in any of my history books...Also,wasn’t there a fantasy expansion as early as Civ 2?

I think this is not a problem of the way they monetize the game (frequent small patches and pass rather than big expansion one a year - which I like and I think it's overall better approach), but what is a part of this pass content. Some ppl want devs to be more focused on improving the game as it is.
The problem here is for example dull mid and late-game which is hard to improve because it is a part of the core game design - win condition to be precise, which makes the game a snowballing race for resource generation with AI. This is the main lesson they should have for Civ 7.
The second issue is AI (better Ai will increase the difficulty level of the game because AI will generate resources faster, and could military stop your snowballing more efficient) This makes the game too easy for elite and minimaxes.
There is a Mythic Plus difficulty level in World of Warcraft dungeons which is a good idea for Civilization imo. Next levels of Deity Plus (no chopping, no selling goods to AI, limited turns etc.) would increase the difficulty level for the elite in an infinite way but also keep a stable and not punishing progress for casuals or new players.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom