Civilization 5 Game Of The Year Edition

I thought it won some game of they year award from an online reviewer, am I wrong?

As far as I know, they won it from Gamespy. See my post further up in this thread (and the links inside it) for details on why they're a shill for any game they work with, including Civ V.

Warning: It's got some longish posts, but overall it lays out the details pretty well by the end.

Didn't past Civ games usually wait more than a year (and patch themselves into vastly better shape) before putting out this compilation edition?

hhmm...did Civ4 have a compilation before BtS? If no, then there it needed minimum 3 years AFAIK.

It looks like yet another trick to try and maximize revenue streams to me, re-release the same product with incremental updates every few months. I'm not a big fan.

This. Next 4 DLCs, then we'll get the second compilation edition.

Ah... I miss the times when the Game of the Year editions were reserved for games who were, in fact, Game of the Year.

From the german thread: "Game Of The Year? Worst Game Of The Year."

hhmm...did Civ4 have a compilation before BtS? If no, then there it needed minimum 3 years AFAIK.

Yeah, I have CIV IV: Gold Edition; which is CIV IV + Warlords. Had to buy BtS later.

Game of the year? :eek: Wha... huh!? :huh: Why? And so soon?

They should maybe fix all the stuff first and add the missing parts before they call it "Game of the year" :rolleyes:.

This, oh so much this.

I don't see the surprise with this. If they want new people to buy the game might as well release a version with all the DLCs as an incentive to buy. People who haven't bought Civ5 already probably aren't going to be gun-ho to buy the game if they have to then pay 3-7 USD per DLC. Not saying I like DLCs but if you're going to do them releasing a GOTY edition with them just makes sense.

Doesn't have to mean anything imho. Normally GOTYs are sold with all released addons, so it might be that there's still a "compilation addon" coming :dunno:.
Uhm... no? GOTY Edition just means that, it's usually released once the game got a GOTY award. Sometimes DLC get released with it.

What you mean are Gold or Ultimate Editions, but this isn't.

In the business, a price drop half a year after release is usual (except for Activision). This GOTY just means they can keep the price just as high.

*adds up total spent on civ v and dlc so far*:think:

That happens with pretty much every game that has DLC. :) Just looking at Dragon Age. Within a little over a year, they released an Ultimate edition that included the base game, the expansion and all of the DLC. It currently costs 29 Euro at Steam.

A GOTY version after six months does seem a little early, though. Expansion in 3 months, then. ;)

Again, Ultimate =/= GOTY.

GOTY is, so to say, nothing more than marketing crap and keeping the price high with included DLC.

You'd think that people who play Civ a lot would grasp that the value of things changes over time, but these kind of threads always make me wonder.

Does this version finally remove the Steam virus?

I actually love steam now. I don't know whether it's surrender or old age, or being sick of putting Scratched DVDs in my 100 year old Drive.

There is no better friend to someone who re-installs windows every 6 months as part of my "keep it clean" regime.

I actually love steam now. I don't know whether it's surrender or old age, or being sick of putting Scratched DVDs in my 100 year old Drive.

It's old age. ;) I'm in the same boat. A few years ago I finally realized (fully, deeply!) that there is really no benefit in having various shelves and a wardrobe full of boxes -- not to mention the number of cartons on the attic. All they do is take up space, a real burden. That's when I started to slowly switch to digital distribution, and by now I buy pretty much all my PC games from Steam, GamersGate and Impulse. Steam especially offers so many sales that I frequently play games that I would otherwise never have tried (current example: Majesty 2 for four Euro).

It's not without downsides, but I think at least for me the advantages outweigh the risks and problems. I haven't had any troubles with either of the online vendors I buy from - quite the opposite, both Steam and GG even refunded games that didn't work on my box or that I had mistakingly bought (e.g. Oblivion GoTY instead of Oblivion GotY deluxe).

(But I'm pro-choice, so offering a game that requires you to install a specific online store with the game, is still a bad approach, even though I personally use that store/DRM system anyway.)

There is no better friend to someone who re-installs windows every 6 months as part of my "keep it clean" regime.

I hope you don't apply the same method to your room, or your significant other!:lol:

"I haven't cleaned up my room in 6 months, time to sell everything and buy new furniture!"

"Honey, you know what they say about the 6 month relationship mark, so in order to avoid any problems between us, I'm going to erase your memory!"

You know, I think this is being blown a little out of proportion and the speculation of what it means is a bit doom-and-gloom. Oftentimes, gold or game of the year editions are more or less just an excuse for a re-release. Yeah, it's a blatant cash grab, but is it really any different than Civ IV Gold Edition, which was released before BTS? As in, secondary game editions don't mean they're ditching the game or more content is coming, and Firaxis/2K has a history with the Civ series of saving gamers the "trouble" of getting things from the bargain bin by re-releasing old content with a new price.

It's old age. ;) I'm in the same boat. A few years ago I finally realized (fully, deeply!) that there is really no benefit in having various shelves and a wardrobe full of boxes -- not to mention the number of cartons on the attic. All they do is take up space, a real burden.

I think one day, video games that come in boxes and actually have things like manuals, maps, tech/unit/hotkey/whatever charts, and even printed storyline "books" inside the original box will be collector's items. Worth money. Like baseball cards or something.

I've got a whole room full of future antiques... heh. I really don't like online documentation, I want to read on the toilet dang it! But oh well :p

You know, I think this is being blown a little out of proportion and the speculation of what it means is a bit doom-and-gloom. Oftentimes, gold or game of the year editions are more or less just an excuse for a re-release. Yeah, it's a blatant cash grab, but is it really any different than Civ IV Gold Edition, which was released before BTS? As in, secondary game editions don't mean they're ditching the game or more content is coming, and Firaxis/2K has a history with the Civ series of saving gamers the "trouble" of getting things from the bargain bin by re-releasing old content with a new price.

Yeah, I'm not sure why there's so much hate in this thread. Nowadays every single company rereleases their major games and slaps some sort of GOTY title on it (to the point where seemingly EVERY game is the best game evar!). Do I like Civ V? Yeah, I do. Is it a GOTY in my mind? No, even as a strategy game, I'd say SCII is better. But whatever, I really don't care. I can still like both, and again, GOTY is a title that's thrown around by every game.

And as for talk of DLC/Expansions, just because they're releasing this doesn't mean they can't add more DLC (which they most definitely will unless the DLC they've released so far has done horrible, which I'm guessing it hasn't). And who knows, there might be an expansion. The more people that play the game, the better the chance of an expansion, so whatever. Couldn't hurt I think.

Translation of the quote from Kultur Spiegel, please? My computer's translator puts it roughly as 'fastidious and affectionately designed down to the last detail'.

That quote is hilarious and should be added to that thread with famous quotes... :lol: to the very last detail....it couldn't be more wrong

anyway, I didn't know the Kultur Spiegel does computer game testing?

My computer's translator puts it roughly as 'fastidious and affectionately designed down to the last detail'.

"Affectionately designed"...is that the "wet sloppy kiss" Shafer supposedly gave us? Back off pal, unless you want to get punched...

Seriously, this GOTY business is much ado about nothing. There are no rules for game marketing that say that development ends at the GOTY or "Gold" or whatever bundle. If Firaxis thinks they can make bank shipping out the Polish, Chilean, Iowan, Lebanese, Guatemalan or Map of Southern California DLC then they will do that from now until Civ 6. A GOTY bundle just serves to bring in more customers who are curious about the game but are willing to pay less for it than series fans (like us) would. Nothing more.

I would pay for that Polish DLC though: Anti-tank Lancer UU.

Top Bottom