1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Game Of The Year Edition

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by The_J, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

Hey! I'm chilean and I'm still not buying any DLC for this game. Now, if that Southern California DLC comes with El Zorro UU...

2. cephalo

cephalo Deity

I think were all just angry because Firaxis was one of the last PC game companies with some integrity, and with Civ5 they are jumping on a bandwagon that makes providing a quality gaming experience more difficult. None of these marketing gimmicks increase the fun. They are taking us for granted big time.

3. Drumheller

Drumheller Chieftain

This puts the final nail in the coffin for the Civ series as far as I'm concerned. Completely sold out to garbage.

Civ IV: BTS will be the final good civ that I will keep on playing.

What a horrible way to end the series.

4. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

I think they might of won something from PC Gamer. Or something in Germany.

5. Blanchflower

Blanchflower Prince

I have bought all the DLCs and map packs so far. So should I buy this version or will it be a waste of money?

6. cephalo

cephalo Deity

Total waste of money. You get the bug fixes for free anyway, and you already have the DLC.

7. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I'd say you already wasted your money once...so I think there is nothing wrong with wasting it twice. 2k will be happy and reward you with more DLC's. :lol:

Now, if you ask me, just wait for 2 years and get the final, ultimate, monster Civ 5 pack that includes every single DLC and other gimmicks from the discount bin for $5.

I have been burnt once by pre-ordering this piece of software, I wouldn't ever by another Civ5 related product.

8. RagnorIronpants

RagnorIronpants Chieftain

Didn't Fallout 3 get released as a GOTY edition with half of the DLCs? Then another edition with the final DLCs...then released a complete edition I think.

Personally, I'm worried that this means they won't make a full add-on - just more DLC.

If any of you really want to find out if this means the end of it I'd email the press office and pretend to be a journalist. Sometimes works.

9. JohnnyW

JohnnyW Gave up on this game

Guys, guys.....you're reading the game title all wrong:

"Game of the year edition" just means it's the game they released last year. The game of the year.

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I don't see any comment from the Kultur Spiegel there :dunno:.

I blame 2K. Firaxis has probably no impact on that decission, the pubisher is responsible for selling the stuff.

------------
    Strange, still no infos on Amazon.com, co.uk or .fr :confused:.

11. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

On the image. „Strategisch anspruchsvoll und liebevoll bis ins letzte detail“

12. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

...ah...the place was too obvious :wallbash:.
    And your computers translator is right, just at a "strategically" at the beginning.

13. Trias

Trias Donkey with three behinds

The (first) civ4 GOTY edition was released in 2006 prior to the release of the Warlords expansion. (http://www.mobygames.com/game/sid-meiers-civilization-iv-game-of-the-year-edition)

Can't find the exact release date. But from the above link we can deduce that it must have been between March 16th and July 24th. That puts it somewhere between 5 and 9 months after the initial release. We are currently almost 6 months after the initial release of civ5. This GOTY editions is thereby right on schedule:lol:.

14. radiohodet

radiohodet Chieftain

Do people even play computer games, or was the last game they bought Civ4? Everyone releases GOTY-versions of their games these days. It's just a way to cash in a little extra. It means nothing more, nothing less.

I really can't see any reason for outrages against this. Actually it's quite amusing that people are surprised. If Civ 4 was released today they would have done exactly the same thing. Actually they did with Civ 4 Warlords, which was basically just a bunch of DLC as well.

15. Trias

Trias Donkey with three behinds

And even before warlords they did publish a GOTY edition of civ4 (with some bonus dvd or something). See my previous post.

16. Marsoups

Marsoups Chieftain

GOTY editions is an excuse to repackage the game to sell to new users that may have missed it the first time around. It's not for us. It doesn't bother me, the more players the better, means the game goes on strong and we can get some expansions. (Those are for us.)

Though i've never liked GOTY as a title.

17. builer680

builer680 eats too much Taco Bell

Outrage isn't the right word. No one is outraged. No one is surprised or unaware that this is how marketing works. By the same token, many of us feel that they didn't deserve GOTY from anyone... heck, they had to have their own partner give it to them. So their "marketing" shouldn't be 'surprised' or 'outraged' when at least some people are willing to call them out on their obvious sleazy cash grab.

It doesn't matter if it works, or if it's what everyone else does. At least here, someone is making sure that people see this for what it is, a cash grab only made possible because they basically gave themselves an award. Just because you and I know what's going on doesn't mean everyone does. There's always a chance that someone is considering rewarding this publisher by becoming a first time buyer.

Their decision is at least partially influenced by seeing that it was someone's "Game of the Year." If it wasn't, publishers wouldn't bother making such editions in the first place. Well, hopefully, that same potential buyer will do some deeper research first, and maybe even happen across this thread, and/or others like it. They'll see this for the gimmick that it is. Hopefully, just maybe, that will influence their decision too. You might find it "funny," but many people do this. Research anything at all that you spend money on, especially with the quality of things and slick marketing in general these days.

GOTY awards may be a "joke" in general, especially to people who know video games, but when they're used to convince potential buyers that this game is the best of anything to come out in 2010, there needs to be a counter to that.

18. The_Tyrant

The_Tyrant Values Guardian

No Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition included all the DLC's. Bethesda would never pull a stunt like what Firaxis and 2k are doing right now.

19. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Game of the year kind of implies that the game was award winning.

More double talk from the marketing department.

What a joke! :lol:

Shame of the year maybe...;)

20. TheDanish

TheDanish Prince

Vanilla Civ 4 GOTY edition was released some time in 2006, so this isn't all that surprising. I would consider picking it up if I was sure there wouldn't be a horde of new DLCs yet to come. Unfortunately, DLC seems to be the new wave in marketing.

I'll wait until they've patched it up and have stopped adding civilizations.