1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization 5 Steamworks questions/concerns for inclusion in the FAQ

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by 2K Greg, May 24, 2010.

1. thirdgeek

thirdgeek Chieftain

You’re agreeing with what Mercade said—if someone were to get a new computer seventeen years from now, they would have to log into their Steam account on that computer before they could play any of their Steam-restricted games. On an existing computer that had the Steam account credentials saved, the games could be played in offline mode without logging in.

2. isndl

isndl Chieftain

Steam was released in 2003. :crazyeye:

3. Haydos

Haydos Chieftain

After re-reading his post, you are indeed correct, I misunderstood him initially.

These people concerned with steam really should install it now and give it a run. There fears will soon be allayed.

4. Wardancing

Wardancing Warlord

Thats just it, i set it to offline mode, was told i need to restart steam, i did, opened steam (offline mode), cleared PG log, and saw all the ip's being blocked, for multiple minutes. I dont believe an 'internet check' should take 2+ minutes, nor should a check even be performed when ordered to be offline.

Again, i ask for someone with more knowledge to answer on this part: Cant programs use windows services to communicate with the net? IE: steam passing info to say... Generic Host Process, therefor having your firewall report no activity from steam itself?

I believe I have seen this type of behavior from some other internet games (F2P games in particular). Thats why I have software like PG on my system, along with a firewall.

With what has been mentioned about a moderators test, my first hand PG test, along with conflicting reports as to how Offline mode acts (concerning knowing of updates to a game and not allowing offline mode play until updated), its my guess theres info at least reguarding steam/game updates while in offline mode (security settings will vary).

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

To note here:
    They've changed the language in the press version at the Gamescom (and did that without leaving the game), and these computers sure didn't have a internet connection.

6. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

In the past I've noticed that when my internet connection is poor enough that it is basically unusable, it takes Steam a full 2 minutes before it stops being freezed and asks the user what to do - go into offline mode or retry the connection. I'm guessing that if you have a program or firewall manually blocking those connections you might see a similar thing.

I am curious about whether you'll see any further logs of IPs after the first 2 minutes (time it with a stopwatch if you have to).

7. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

you can always check internet activity with windows network manager. I don't believe that it does connect to its servers after the initial contact (which by the way: 12agnar0k: your description is incorrect since it will connect to its servers even after it offered you the stay offline / go online popup if the internet connection becomes available after that - but we had this discussion).

8. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

this is getting tedious, but you are wrong! There is such a thing as play freely: you buy a dvd (thereby get the right to use the software and play the game), install, enter a code or something and you can play till the end of your PC! Don't tell me all the non-steam-games do something wrong or perform worse (also their sales-figures), cause they don't distribute on steam - if that would be the case, everybody would only distribute on this channel (monopoly is never a good idea,btw - that includes "choices").

If you buy a DVD and STILL need a third party to play the game, then that is a serious intrusion into my consumer rights! Furthermore if the third party collects data of my PC, my gaming-habits and other stuff which is none of there business at all! I don't understand how you eagerly agree with this and seem to look forward to it...

P.S.: BTW: You ARE defending Steam wherever possible. I'm fine with that but don't state that you don't - that's plain ridiculous. :king:

9. Wezqu

Wezqu Warlord

Thank you for making personal remark towards me so I'm not bothering to answer you anymore. Have a nice life.

10. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Emperor

you're welcome! Didn't mean to be mean, though.
    Let's go on with the topic...

11. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

I actually canceled my preorder until any ONE of the following conditions are met (in order of importance):

- Collectors edition released in the UK from a UK store.
    - Regular Edition falls to <£10
    - The boxed copy can work without steam (yes I know - Never going to happen).

I'm not keen on buying games for steam at full price, unless I can get the Boxed CE which I want, as the standard version will be reduced eventually anyway.

I see no point to paying £30 for the standard version of a game that I'm not free to play without steam. I am a rare breed that dislikes using steam to play my games, and only use steam for discounted games, which is fine for the great deals and no box (I collect game boxes and CEs).

But full price at launch for a steam game isnt going to happen, unless I get a boxed CE in the Uk.

12. Tarkhan

Tarkhan King

I mostly like steam because it has one heck of a lot more respect for PC gamers than GameStop ever will, even if I do need a net connection. They at least don't relegate the PC games into some dark corner and pretend they don't exist when Blizzard isn't releasing something. I also thank God that Ubisoft never got it's greedy idiotic meathooks on Firaxis, and we aren't subjected to THAT horrid DRM.

And even then, if someone is morally against Steam, and online activations - none of us can change their minds. Don't try. I don't like activations either, it's a necessary evil. I also never liked having to always have the stinking disc in the drive for old games.

As far as how offline mode will work with Civ5, we cannot be truly sure until launch. The main disadvantage I find with Steam and Civ is that often people like to retain old versions of Civ games instead of immediately patching.

You want a game that goes through a lot of internet hassle, try Dawn of War II. It installs itself into Steam, then launches Games for Windows Live. Incredible game, annoying setup.

13. Carwyn

Carwyn Prince

Thing is, when I buy a computer game, I just plain don't want some outside company involved in my game play - I want to buy my game, install it and play it. I find the Steam idea intrusive, though I will likely get and play the game in spite of it, I'm not happy about it. I don't care how many bells and whistles it give me, or how reliable or easy it is, I just want my privacy and control over my own game. Just grumpy I guess!

14. eris

eris King

I have seen nothing that gives you the level of guarantee you want. I do not believe it is practical for companies and legislation to provide that level of gurantee. I don't believe that there is a business trend or model to support your ownership pattern. If you buy Civ V, by your standards you are taking a gamble. It may be a very very low risk gamble, but it is one. If that is not satisfactory to you. Don't buy Civ V. Otherwise, swallow the risk and enjoy the game for now. I cannot say if this is the future of game distribution and sales, but it sure looks like it. It consumes less paper and plastic along the way, and that is going to make an interesting financial difference.

I share your concerns, but have decided for myself not to let them interfere with my enjoyment of Civ V. You will have to make your own decision based on your own evaluations.

15. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Given how cheap games are on GoG.com, I don't anticipate any problems with rebuying old games in the future. It would probably even be less hassle than getting your original disc working yourself.

16. Mercade

Mercade the Counsellor

Condition #1 is met as play.com is a UK store (Special Edition for GBP 49.99; see link in my sig), unless you're reformulating to it being a brick & mortar store in your home town.

17. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Here is my situation.

I ordered ciV off of Steam.

I will be able to download it on the 21st of September as I will be in Canada at the time. (I originally thought I'd be in Thailand by then but my plans changed.)

So that's not a problem.

I will be headed off to Thailand at the end of September 2010 until August 2011. I'll be studying Thai and working there. It's going to be a lot of fun. :D

Anyway, what I was wondering was...if DLC is released, can I get it in Thailand by downloading it off of Steam or will I have to wait until I come back to Canada because Steam won't allow that? It seems like Firaxis won't be having an expansion in a box anymore but fairly frequent DLCs. I'd like to keep up to date.

Also, if I had a hard drive failure for some reason and I had to re-install ciV while I was in Thailand, would Steam let me do that or would it be blocked because I am in Thailand? Will I end up having to buy a boxed copy just to guard against that problem? (I was planning on getting the Collector's edition anyway.)

I'm sorry if these are stupid questions or are posted in the wrong place.

18. 12agnar0k

12agnar0k Emperor

Not sure if you will be affected by any regional Steam issues, Thailand and Russia are the two named countries where buying games there and bringing them back home wouldnt let them work, but if you paid for a Canada game, it may still work in Thailand.

19. Kiefmaster99

Kiefmaster99 Chieftain

I'd just like to echo some auto-patching concerns.

I work on a CivIV BtS mod that has its origins from another region (Japan in particular). All that I need to do to make it work in English is stuff in translations in the xml and python. However, the two regions are in different patch states (English 3.19; Japan 3.17). This mod will only work in 3.17. Sadly this means that it is impossible to play this mod if the player uses CivIV on Steam, as it is impossible to downgrade to 3.17. Had I not bought the physical copy, working on/testing this mod would've been impossible for me. Of course, the fact that I (and perhaps a hundred others) am a consumer of a Japan->English mod puts me in the minority.

I certainly hope that CivV will work differently from CivIV and offer significant backwards-capabilities so that mods stuck in previous patch versions don't get shafted, or at least make it easy to not auto-patch.

20. Wezqu

Wezqu Warlord

They have stated that when they update the game they will try to make it so that it doesn't effect the mods. So mods should work even if the game updates.