Civilization 6

Agreed 100%. Just infinitely better as compared to Civ5. And imagine how overpowered State Property would be if you tacked on the ability to rush-buy alongside the already strong maintenance, production, and workshop buffs!

Agreed 100%. Just infinitely better as compared to Civ5. And imagine how overpowered State Property would be if you tacked on the ability to rush-buy alongside the already strong maintenance, production, and workshop buffs!

Maybe you could remove the Distance Maintenance bonus to make up for it? It's not exactly its most realistic feature.

Like most people here, what I'd LOVE to see is a clean-up / make-over of CIV 4, rather than yet another attempt at reinventing it conceptually.

Top of the feature list for me would be AI improvement. I'd like to see a competitive AI that plays by the same rules as the player - no production, tech, and other bonuses - at least as an aspirational goal.

As for the problem of huge stacks of units, I think raising and rebalancing military maintenance cost in general would go a long way towards addressing this.

Also, I'd like to see an overhaul of espionage, along with more granularity in inter-civ relationships (more options than just war, open borders and alliances) and a different approach to tech-trading (along the lines of research partnerships or developmental aid maybe).

Lastly, some tweaks to the tech-tree and units (I suppose we all have our personal bugbears here) - but no drastic expansion or reduction of either.

As for graphics, I'd actually like to see a more abstract visualisation rather than more detail / realism, but whatever.

What I'd like is stacking limited based on terrain to properly represent supply and food considerations for armies on march. Basically, if you have more units on a tile than it provides food for your units suffer damage similar to the Russian UP in RFC. You should always be able to have at least one unit on a tile unharmed, so this would only start taking effect when you put more units on it. So for example you could have one unit on Desert and Ice, two units on Tundra and Plains and three units on Grassland without suffering damage in the beginning of the game. This number should naturally increase with certain techs and civics, and with something like Refrigeration or Combustion I think it could be removed entirely. Furthermore, not all of your units suffer damage if there's too many of them, rather only a number of units equal to by how much you exceed the limit. There could also be promotions that counteract this.

Also I'd love love love if the culture system of 5 would be included, it's just perfect in every single way. Credit where credit's due, this is the one thing where it really shines. Apart from that it should be more similar to 4 than 5 with some new ideas thrown in as well.

What I'd like is stacking limited based on terrain to properly represent supply and food considerations for armies on march. Basically, if you have more units on a tile than it provides food for your units suffer damage similar to the Russian UP in RFC. You should always be able to have at least one unit on a tile unharmed, so this would only start taking effect when you put more units on it. So for example you could have one unit on Desert and Ice, two units on Tundra and Plains and three units on Grassland without suffering damage in the beginning of the game. This number should naturally increase with certain techs and civics, and with something like Refrigeration or Combustion I think it could be removed entirely. Furthermore, not all of your units suffer damage if there's too many of them, rather only a number of units equal to by how much you exceed the limit. There could also be promotions that counteract this.

Also I'd love love love if the culture system of 5 would be included, it's just perfect in every single way. Credit where credit's due, this is the one thing where it really shines. Apart from that it should be more similar to 4 than 5 with some new ideas thrown in as well.

The Realism Invictus mod does something like this. It incorporates a feature called "logistics", where larger stacks incur penalties from reduced healing to reduced strength to reduced movement. The PRO trait grants +2 Urban Logistics, so you can have 2 more units in your stack in cities, where Militaristic (basically AGG) grants +2 Rural Logistics to stacks in the field. IMP grants +1 Logistics in all areas. Also, there are techs that increase this limit as the game progresses.
Here's the link for more info. http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=411799

Jorunkun said:
...and a different approach to tech-trading (along the lines of research partnerships or developmental aid maybe).

I agree with everything else you said in your post other than this. I absolutely hated the research partnerships of Civ5. Civ4 tech trading may need a bit of tweaking to prevent repetitive and obvious tech paths, but the ability to manipulate diplomacy with tech trading and buying/selling was way too good to replace with that nasty research agreement system. Perhaps they can exist side by side with less of an emphasis put on pure trades but no way should trading be replaced again.

Imp. Knoedel said:
Agreed 100%. Well, maybe 98%. I think the social policies could exist in a more fluid way for example existing alongside a civic type of government engine that is accessible throughout the game (instead of having to wait until the endgame like in Civ5). They could, theoretically, do something that joins the two allowing for social policy trees that have civics within them which provide different bonuses depending on the particular social policy. This way, you can have the flexibility of civics from Civ4 with the social policies that define your civ's overall "personality" like in Civ5.

blitzkrieg1980 said:
Agreed 100%. Well, maybe 98%. I think the social policies could exist in a more fluid way for example existing alongside a civic type of government engine that is accessible throughout the game (instead of having to wait until the endgame like in Civ5). They could, theoretically, do something that joins the two allowing for social policy trees that have civics within them which provide different bonuses depending on the particular social policy. This way, you can have the flexibility of civics from Civ4 with the social policies that define your civ's overall "personality" like in Civ5.

This. I think it would be cool if they had a civics system but the benefits were determined to some degree by the social policies unlocked. So, for instance (just using an example, they shouldn't probably use the same civics from Civ IV or the same social policies from V) State Property will have slightly different effects in a civ that's gone Piety than for a civ which has gone Rationalism.

I also do like the idea of ideologies, but they should work more like religion does in Civ V than they way they actually work in Civ V.

Some very good ideas here. :)

I have a gut feeling that we won't see Civ VI until 2017 at the earliest now that Starships will be a thing. :sad:

On the other hand, rushing out a half baked Civilization 5 was disastrous so I hope they take their time this time and get it right. :)

As someone who has never played civ V I feel my opinion is somewhat lacking in experience but for what it's worth, civ is a strategy game and 1UPT tactical warfare has no place there.

The civ IV combat system was pretty much perfect, the only problem was the AIs inability to understand stack warfare and the correct use of siege units. Improve the AI and civ IV combat is great.

The reason I've never moved on to civ V is because they seem to have taken so much out of the players control. Being able to see the reasons why a civ liked or disliked you, the ability to control religion, being able to switch civics whenever I want, easy to understand culture, the choice of how to spend my commerce with simple sliders. However they proceed with civ VI They need to make it as transparent as civ IV is.

I think if SODs are such a problem, that the best route would be a Europa Universalis-style force limit rather than 1upt.

I also removing sliders, even if they could use improvement, was a mistake.

Whatever the outcome, Civ is one of the few franchises I follow where I wish they'd take their time instead of releasing an unfinished product. That was the downfall of Civ5.

Top Bottom