Civilization 7 - An Inevitable Evolution to Regional Maps

King Phaedron

Warlord
*This thread is a work in progress, and I will probably give it a few updates.

I've had some ideas, and the more I think about, it seems like an inevitable direction for the Civilization series to use "region maps" instead of one huge map that lags all the time. I believe it would also fix a lot of balancing issues, and make the game more involved overall.

While reading this, lets assume everything else is the same as it is for Civilization 6.

(Note that I am typing this on a public computer downstairs where I live, at 3 Am, alone, and the computer is locked up in a cage. This is the "Free Wifi" for the Apartment Complex. Therefore I cannot transfer my ideas in writing from my desktop with no internet connection, nor can I put them on a USB.)

Small Map: 6 Regions. 1-2 Home Regions. 2 Civilizations, 4-6 Civilizations
Normal Map: 9 Regions. 3-4 Home Regions: 6-7 Civilizations, 8-12 Civilizations
Large Map: 12 Regions. 4-5 Home Regions: 8-11 Civilizations, 12-15 Civilizations
Huge Map: 16 Regions. 5-6 Home Regions: 10-13 Civilizations, 14-18 Civilizations

Home Regions must contain at least 2 Civilizations, but may contain 3.
Number of Home Regions will depend on players, but must be less then half of total regions.

Ancient Era: Start in Home Region. Relations with other civilizations begin at "Hostile."

"Hostile" is a state where trade deals are honored, but units may engage in combat and capture civilian units. You won't have to declare a full scale war when capturing an unguarded enemy settler. It's considered fair game. Units cannot enter enemy land, pillage enemy improvements, or attack enemy cities without declaring war. War becomes a state intended for Pillaging and Capturing of Cities. Taking hostile actions will degrade relations to Hostile. Hostile actions cannot be taken against declared friends. Hostile is a state where there is no current plan for war or conquest, but small skirmishes take place between units.

No Diplomatic Penalty for razing cities or wiping out the 1-2 Civilizations that start on your home region during the ancient era. It may even award a Golden Age. But your time may be better spent elsewhere...

Constructing Districts is very important. When The Ancient Era ends everyone can unlock a new region to expand into. Then 2 or 3 more new regions after the Classical Era, and so fourth, depending on map size.

THE ROYAL JEWEL SYSTEM

Every district constructed rewards a "Royal Jewel" also called Gemstones, which are large enough of their kind to be considered priceless national treasures. Gems are spent for:

1) Unlocking new regions for the first time
2) Golden or Silver Age bonus applied for every Region during an Era
3) Other Era specific benefits
4) Purchasing of Courthouses
5) Permanent Effects (Emerald Policies)

Encampment - Ruby (Red)
Campus - Sapphire (Blue)
Holy Site - Pearl (White)

Red, White, and Blue? Are we all playing America in the ancient Era? LOL, actually the American colors come from the British colors, which in turn date back to Ancient Egypt's "Red White and Blue" as well as the Egyptian "Star Spangled Man," a symbol for Uranus. But I digress.

Government - Emerald (And Government Buildings also reward an Emerald)
Theatre Square - Amythyst (Purple)
Commercial Hub - Topaz (Gold)
Harbor - Aquamarine (Blue)
Industrial - Onyx (Brown) actually black, but production numbers are brown.
Entertainment - Diamond (White)
Water Park - Diamond (White)
Aerodrome - Amythyst, or maybe Ruby. (I'm thinking Amythyst, because Airport helps Tourism, duh)
Spaceport - Emerald (But it's so late in the game, they won't be very useful)

Unlocking New Regions: After the Ancient Era, everyone will unlock one region. (I'm thinking about making the first one free, because 1) You might not have built any districts, and 2) You can only build the first three in the Ancient Era. So a free choice would make the other types accessible.) Any Gem (Non Emerald) can be used to unlock a new region for the first time, but the type you use will have an effect on the region. All players or AI will make the choice before anything else is done, it will then need to be finalized, because new Regions must contain at least 2 players, and in some special cases, will cost a specific type of jewel.

Lets say 3 players unlock the same region with a Blue Sapphire at the end of the Medieval Era (The Ancient Era region cannot be special) Anyone else who joins will also have to pay a Sapphire for that region. The Region will involve a Science race to be the first to discover Gunpowder.

Ruby - Needed to unlock Foreign Home Regions, or a "Total War" Scenario with goals and benefits.
Sapphire - Unlocks a normal contested region or a "Scientific" scenario.
Pearl - Unlocks a normal contested region or a "Religious" scenario. Must have founded a Religion.
Topaz - Unlocks a normal contested region intended to involve friendly trade relations
Amythyst - Unlocks a normal contested region or a "Culture" scenario.
Diamond - Unlocks an alliance region, such as a joint war operation.
Onyx - Unlocks a normal contested region intended or an "Industrial" scenario
Aquamarine - Unlocks a normal contested coastal, islands, deep ocean kind of region

*Diamond can be used to establish a region as one where 2 or more friendly or allied players come together against a common enemy. Doesn't matter what gem they use to unlock the regions, these tend to take you to by surprise when it happens.

Courthouse - Limit of 4 per map. Protects a city for "Era Collapse" Cost 1 Gem (non Emerald)
Courthouse - 5-6 on home region only. Protects city from "Era Collapse" Cost 2 Gems (Non Emerald)

ENEMY HOME REGIONS

Unlocking a foreign home region for the first time always cost 1 Ruby (Encampments) You are limited to 3 cities, and cannot buy courthouses (Except for the Emerald Policy that gives you one) Having a city on another Civlizations home region gives you access to detailed information about any of the 1-3 civilizations will live there, making trading with them possible at all times, improves diplomatic relations, and gives you a base of operations in their land which will be necessary for Domination.

There are major diplomatic penalties if you immediately go to war with such a city, but even if you wipe them out, they can still come back for free on the new era and transfer units to the region. Cities built on Foreign Home Regions are subject to paying Taxes to all civilizations that live there, and cannot found more then 2 additional cities (Which are subject to Era Collapse.) Home Regions are the big maps, as they will house 2-3 starting civilizations and "Embassy cities" from other players. (Hard limit of 18 might be a bit much)

Unlocking enemy home region is a must for domination. Usually the first era to establish, and then transfer units on the next. (Though we might have some issues between how many new regions are unlocked per era, how many players in the game, and how many players are building embassy cities) but at the very least it will be possible to send units there.

Domination will still require you to capture every capital, but it won't hurt you if they take it back.

ERA COLLAPSE

Now for the big enchilada. Let those words permeate into your being. ERA COLLAPSE. As I have a hunch they will become well ingrained in the mass consciousness of Civilizations gamers.

In game explanation: With every empire, there is the danger of collapse and internal conflict when times change. New regimes come to power, and the old rulers pass on. Perhaps the best example is that of Alexander the Great, upon whose death his empire collapsed.

All Cities without a Courthouse or Palace are subject to Era Collapse. Meaning, they will either become neutral free cities, or if there are many too close together, they may even be razed. (with the explanation being war between cities, or sudden barbarian conquest. Cities with 1 or more unique Luxuries, or Strategic resources will not be razed) Usually they just become free cities, and get a couple units. Early on, it's easy to capture them when the new era begins, but late game, they will come with walls and such.

So the game starts in the Ancient Era home region for all players. There are 2-3 civilizations starting on a home region. After that, a new region is selected and played. After that, we return to the Home Region, to find the "Era Collapse" wherein Cities without a courthouse have suffered rebellion, and a number of units have retired or been killed. Then we play out the Classical Era, and unlock 2-3 more regions after that. The option becomes available to transfer units to the region selected at the end of the ancient era, but they won't arrive until the next era. You can probably play the regions in any order, but the mainstay of scientific and cultural progress only applies to the Home Region, so it's better to do the Home Region first.

Other Regions may only conduct "Special research" or cultural development. These are often scenarios for the purpose of expansion, conquest, or harvesting resources. All districts and district buildings transfer their yields to the Home Region. While gains and costs of all kinds only apply to the cities of a region, Total Gold and Faith are available at times, during all regions, so if you need to buy units, do so.

So why bother making more cities if you're just going to lose them? In the early and middle game it isn't hard to recapture them at the beginning of an era, and repair damaged buildings but they are indeed a nuisance in the late game. Even if they collapse, you still get the gemstones from constructing districsts in them. Government district can only be made in a city with a Palace or a Courthouse. (Buy with non emerald gems of any kind)

GEMSHOP - Era Effects (Not a full list)

Unlock Special Research - 1 Sapphire
Unlock Special Culture - 1 Amythyst
Unlock Special Research from previous Eras - 1 Sapphire
Unlock Special Culture from previous Eras - 1 Amythyst

Free in the ancient era, and maybe even the classical, "Special Research" mostly unlocks new and fun units and such. But in the later stages of the game, unlocking the special research and conducting it will be required for science victory. So the Scientific victory, you will be building lots of Campus's and doing more research then others. I haven't given a lot of thought to the Cultural Victory, but methinks it should involve then simply building wonders or collecting great people.

Other Era effects I came up with were mostly stuff involving Starting with Extra Units

GEMSHOP - EMERALD POLICIES - Permanent Effects

Retain one extra unit per era when returning to a map - 1 Emerald
Chance to gain up to 3 era collapse cities from any player on your home region - 1 Emerald
Start with an Extra Settler - 1 Emerald
Transfer 3 more units and get a free courthouse on Enemy Home Regions - 1 Emerald
Start with or retain an Extra Unit on all Maps - 1 Emerald
Start with or retain a naval unit on all maps (will be a land unit if region is heavy land) 1 Emerald
Start with a builder, and a recon unit - 1 Emerald
Start with a Spy, and an Envoy - 1 Emerald

I'm thinking the Envoy and Spy will be particularly useful for Science players. The role of the Spy will be become more important, even to research purposes, and I'd like to eliminate the issue of setting up a spy to steal technology and you wind up discovering it before he can finish.

Really, every victory path needs to be a bit more involved...

You can only get 4 Emeralds, from the Government District and it's buildings, and presumably from Spaceports later on, and possibly 1 or 2 from Wonders.

SILVER AGE BENEFITS (Era Effects. Pick one at the start of an Era)

Ruby - +2 combat Strength, and cities train units faster when under attack
Pearl - Get faith when training new units, or when completing a building
Diamond - Get faith when killing units, or while building a wonder.
Amythyst - Get culture from completing a building, or while building a wonder
Sapphire - Get Science from killing a unit, or when finishing a building.
Onyx - +10% Production, +1 production in all cities
Emerald (Green) +2 food in all cities (Need to have an Emerald, but it won't be consumed)
Topaz - +10% to builders, buildings and districts cost no maintenance.
Aquamarine - +1 Movement to Naval Units in friendly Territory

Introducing "THE INDUSTRIAL VICTORY PATH"

We have a (Blue) Science, (Purple) Culture (White) Religious, (Red) Military, and even a Diplomatic victory. Here is one involves Gold and Production for "The Industrialist" Civs.

While you will focus on Gold, Production, this victory path involves forging friendly trade relations with other players, and taking on Jobs for them to produce in the late game. These will provide additional amenities or whatever, as modern people tend to get very grumpy without them. You've heard the saying "Everything is made in China." Your goal is to corner the market, find all the resources, do a bunch of city projects, and become an industrial source for other civilizations.

Of course, not all of them are going to work with you. The solution to that is very simple and straightforward: Use your vast wealth and production to eliminate them in the end game. The industrial relationships you forged probably cannot be undone at all, they are industrial age and onwards. Since the victory requires you to be the industry leader and corner the market for all players, it involves some war but not as much as domination.

A player will be considered "Defeated" if they lose all of their cities on their home region. Doesn't matter where else they settled. All gains from other regions are routed back to the home region, though it is not as great as playing on the home region, there needs to be incentives to doing things on other regions.

REGIONAL SCENARIOS - The possibilities are endless

Scenarios, goals, production goals, benefits, uniquely made for Science, Culture, Military, Navy, Diplomacy, Trade, including more organized Barbarian Activity: there really are a lot of possibilities.

Barbarians enter the world stage: When World War appears in the world Congress. Your only choices are Allied Powers or Axis powers. Throws the whole world into war. Barbarians outsource their services and become units you gain against other players. Lots of ideas here.

Regional Civ will invariably produce longer games. As you unlock the new regions, but then in every following Era you have to play each region for number of turns, with potential new scenarios or situational goals.

Instead of having a Fixed Time to Turns ratio, I propose showing the Calender as each civilization saw it. Early calenders, and maybe also corresponding to a BC or AD date.

For example, the Classical Era for Macedon would correspond to the timelime of Alexander the Great. But I mean, there's only so much room for realism in a game where Abraham Lincoln is able to interact with Genghis Khan and Cleopatra.

But the Regions and Scenarios would help the game become more historic and educational, even introducing a time of World War, during which cities cannot be happy or Estatic only content from Amenities, because War is hard time for everyone. And a penalty for Scientific and Cultural endeavors because world war affects the lives of everyone.

I have to go now, but I may return with some updates to this. The main issue is loading times, but even initial map generation won't have to take place except where actual players are involved.

Last edited:
*This thread is a work in progress, and I will probably give it a few updates.

I've had some ideas, and the more I think about, it seems like an inevitable direction for the Civilization series to use "region maps" instead of one huge map that lags all the time. I believe it would also fix a lot of balancing issues, and make the game more involved overall.

While reading this, lets assume everything else is the same as it is for Civilization 6.

(Note that I am typing this on a public computer downstairs where I live, at 3 Am, alone, and the computer is locked up in a cage. This is the "Free Wifi" for the Apartment Complex. Therefore I cannot transfer my ideas in writing from my desktop with no internet connection, nor can I put them on a USB.)

Small Map: 6 Regions. 1-2 Home Regions. 2 Civilizations, 4-6 Civilizations
Normal Map: 9 Regions. 3-4 Home Regions: 6-7 Civilizations, 8-12 Civilizations
Large Map: 12 Regions. 4-5 Home Regions: 8-11 Civilizations, 12-15 Civilizations
Huge Map: 16 Regions. 5-6 Home Regions: 10-13 Civilizations, 14-18 Civilizations

Home Regions must contain at least 2 Civilizations, but may contain 3.
Number of Home Regions will depend on players, but must be less then half of total regions.

Ancient Era: Start in Home Region. Relations with other civilizations begin at "Hostile."

"Hostile" is a state where trade deals are honored, but units may engage in combat and capture civilian units. You won't have to declare a full scale war when capturing an unguarded enemy settler. It's considered fair game. Units cannot enter enemy land, pillage enemy improvements, or attack enemy cities without declaring war. War becomes a state intended for Pillaging and Capturing of Cities. Taking hostile actions will degrade relations to Hostile. Hostile actions cannot be taken against declared friends. Hostile is a state where there is no currently play for war or conquest, but small skirmishes take place between units.

No Diplomatic Penalty for razing cities or wiping out the 1-2 Civilizations that start on your home region during the ancient era. It may even award a Golden Age. But your time may be better spent elsewhere...

Constructing Districts is very important. When The Ancient Era ends everyone can unlock a new region to expand into. Then 2 or 3 more new regions after the Classical Era, and so fourth, depending on map size.

THE ROYAL JEWEL SYSTEM

Every district constructed rewards a "Royal Jewel" also called Gemstones, which are large enough of their kind to be considered priceless national treasures. Gems are spent for:

1) Unlocking new regions for the first time
2) Golden or Silver Age bonus applied for every Region during an Era
3) Other Era specific benefits
4) Purchasing of Courthouses
5) Permanent Effects (Emerald Policies)

Encampment - Ruby (Red)
Campus - Sapphire (Blue)
Holy Site - Pearl (White)

Red, White, and Blue? Are we all playing America in the ancient Era? LOL, actually the American colors come from the British colors, which in turn date back to Ancient Egypt's "Red White and Blue" as well as the Egyptian "Star Spangled Man," a symbol for Uranus. But I digress.

Government - Emerald (And Government Buildings also reward an Emerald)
Theatre Square - Amythyst (Purple)
Commercial Hub - Topaz (Gold)
Harbor - Aquamarine (Blue)
Industrial - Onyx (Brown) actually black, but production numbers are brown.
Entertainment - Diamond (White)
Water Park - Diamond (White)
Aerodrome - Amythyst, or maybe Ruby. (I'm thinking Amythyst, because Airport helps Tourism, duh)
Spaceport - Emerald (But it's so late in the game, they won't be very useful)

Unlocking New Regions: After the Ancient Era, everyone will unlock one region. (I'm thinking about making the first one free, because 1) You might not have built any districts, and 2) You can only build the first three in the Ancient Era. So a free choice would make the other types accessible.) Any Gem (Non Emerald) can be used to unlock a new region for the first time, but the type you use will have an effect on the region. All players or AI will make the choice before anything else is done, it will then need to be finalized, because new Regions must contain at least 2 players, and in some special cases, will cost a specific type of jewel.

Lets say 3 players unlock the same region with a Blue Sapphire at the end of the Medieval Era (The Ancient Era region cannot be special) Anyone else who joins will also have to pay a Sapphire for that region. The Region will involve a Science race to be the first to discover Gunpowder.

Ruby - Needed to unlock Foreign Home Regions, or a "Total War" Scenario with goals and benefits.
Sapphire - Unlocks a normal contested region or a "Scientific" scenario.
Pearl - Unlocks a normal contested region or a "Religious" scenario. Must have founded a Religion.
Topaz - Unlocks a normal contested region intended to involve friendly trade relations
Amythyst - Unlocks a normal contested region or a "Culture" scenario.
Diamond - Unlocks an alliance region, such as a joint war operation.
Onyx - Unlocks a normal contested region intended or an "Industrial" scenario
Aquamarine - Unlocks a normal contested coastal, islands, deep ocean kind of region

*Diamond can be used to establish a region as one where 2 or more friendly or allied players come together against a common enemy. Doesn't matter what gem they use to unlock the regions, these tend to take you to by surprise when it happens.

Courthouse - Limit of 4 per map. Protects a city for "Era Collapse" Cost 1 Gem (non Emerald)
Courthouse - 5-6 on home region only. Protects city from "Era Collapse" Cost 2 Gems (Non Emerald)

ENEMY HOME REGIONS

Unlocking a foreign home region for the first time always cost 1 Ruby (Encampments) You are limited to 3 cities, and cannot buy courthouses (Except for the Emerald Policy that gives you one) Having a city on another Civlizations home region gives you access to detailed information about any of the 1-3 civilizations will live there, making trading with them possible at all times, improves diplomatic relations, and gives you a base of operations in their land which will be necessary for Domination.

There are major diplomatic penalties if you immediately go to war with such a city, but even if you wipe them out, they can still come back for free on the new era and transfer units to the region. Cities built on Foreign Home Regions are subject to paying Taxes to all civilizations that live there, and cannot found more then 2 additional cities (Which are subject to Era Collapse.) Home Regions are the big maps, as they will house 2-3 starting civilizations and "Embassy cities" from other players. (Hard limit of 18 might be a bit much)

Unlocking enemy home region is a must for domination. Usually the first era to establish, and then transfer units on the next. (Though we might have some issues between how many new regions are unlocked per era, how many players in the game, and how many players are building embassy cities) but at the very least it will be possible to send units there.

Domination will still require you to capture every capital, but it won't hurt you if they take it back.

ERA COLLAPSE

Now for the big enchilada. Let those words permeate into your being. ERA COLLAPSE. As I have a hunch they will become well ingrained in the mass consciousness of Civilizations gamers.

In game explanation: With every empire, there is the danger of collapse and internal conflict when times change. New regimes come to power, and the old rulers pass on. Perhaps the best example is that of Alexander the Great, upon whose death his empire collapsed.

All Cities without a Courthouse or Palace are subject to Era Collapse. Meaning, they will either become neutral free cities, or if there are many too close together, they may even be razed. (with the explanation being war between cities, or sudden barbarian conquest. Cities with 1 or more unique Luxuries, or Strategic resources will not be razed) Usually they just become free cities, and get a couple units. Early on, it's easy to capture them when the new era begins, but late game, they will come with walls and such.

So the game starts in the Ancient Era home region for all players. There are 2-3 civilizations starting on a home region. After that, a new region is selected and played. After that, we return to the Home Region, to find the "Era Collapse" wherein Cities without a courthouse have suffered rebellion, and a number of units have retired or been killed. Then we play out the Classical Era, and unlock 2-3 more regions after that. The option becomes available to transfer units to the region selected at the end of the ancient era, but they won't arrive until the next era. You can probably play the regions in any order, but the mainstay of scientific and cultural progress only applies to the Home Region, so it's better to do the Home Region first.

Other Regions may only conduct "Special research" or cultural development. These are often scenarios for the purpose of expansion, conquest, or harvesting resources. All districts and district buildings transfer their yields to the Home Region. While gains and costs of all kinds only apply to the cities of a region, Total Gold and Faith are available at times, during all regions, so if you need to buy units, do so.

GEMSHOP - Era Effects (Not a full list)

Unlock Special Research - 1 Sapphire
Unlock Special Culture - 1 Amythyst
Unlock Special Research from previous Eras - 1 Sapphire
Unlock Special Culture from previous Eras - 1 Amythyst

Free in the ancient era, and maybe even the classical, "Special Research" mostly unlocks new and fun units and such. But in the later stages of the game, unlocking the special research and conducting it will be required for science victory. So the Scientific victory, you will be building lots of Campus's and doing more research then others. I haven't given a lot of thought to the Cultural Victory, but methinks it should involve then simply building wonders or collecting great people.

Other Era effects I came up with were mostly stuff involving Starting with Extra Units

GEMSHOP - EMERALD POLICIES - Permanent Effects

Retain one extra unit per era when returning to a map - 1 Emerald
Chance to gain up to 3 era collapse cities from any player on your home region - 1 Emerald
Start with an Extra Settler - 1 Emerald
Transfer 3 more units and get a free courthouse on Enemy Home Regions - 1 Emerald
Start with or retain an Extra Unit on all Maps - 1 Emerald
Start with or retain a naval unit on all maps (will be a land unit if region is heavy land) 1 Emerald
Start with a builder, and a recon unit - 1 Emerald
Start with a Spy, and an Envoy - 1 Emerald

I'm thinking the Envoy and Spy will be particularly useful for Science players. The role of the Spy will be become more important, even to research purposes, and I'd like to eliminate the issue of setting up a spy to steal technology and you wind up discovering it before he can finish.

Really, every victory path needs to be a bit more involved...

You can only get 4 Emeralds, from the Government District and it's buildings, and presumably from Spaceports later on, and possibly 1 or 2 from Wonders.

SILVER AGE BENEFITS (Era Effects. Pick one at the start of an Era)

Ruby - +2 combat Strength, and cities train units faster when under attack
Pearl - Get faith when training new units, or when completing a building
Diamond - Get faith when killing units, or while building a wonder.
Amythyst - Get culture from completing a building, or while building a wonder
Sapphire - Get Science from killing a unit, or when finishing a building.
Onyx - +10% Production, +1 production in all cities
Emerald (Green) +2 food in all cities (Need to have an Emerald, but it won't be consumed)
Topaz - +10% to builders, buildings and districts cost no maintenance.
Aquamarine - +1 Movement to Naval Units in friendly Territory

Introducing "THE INDUSTRIAL VICTORY PATH"

We have a (Blue) Science, (Purple) Culture (White) Religious, (Red) Military, and even a Diplomatic victory. Here is one involves Gold and Production for "The Industrialist" Civs.

While you will focus on Gold, Production, this victory path involves forging friendly trade relations with other players, and taking on Jobs for them to produce in the late game. These will provide additional amenities or whatever, as modern people tend to get very grumpy without them. You've heard the saying "Everything is made in China." Your goal is to corner the market, find all the resources, do a bunch of city projects, and become an industrial source for other civilizations.

Of course, not all of them are going to work with you. The solution to that is very simple and straightforward: Use your vast wealth and production to eliminate them in the end game. The industrial relationships you forged probably cannot be undone at all, they are industrial age and onwards. Since the victory requires you to be the industry leader and corner the market for all players, it involves some war but as much as domination.

A player will be considered "Defeated" if they lose all of their cities on their home region. Doesn't matter where else they settled. All gains from other regions are routed back to the home region, though it is not as great as playing on the home region, there needs to be incentives to doing things on other regions.

REGIONAL SCENARIOS - The possibilities are endless

Scenarios, goals, production goals, benefits, uniquely made for Science, Culture, Military, Navy, Diplomacy, Trade, including more organized Barbarian Activity: there really are a lot of possibilities.

Barbarians enter the world stage: When World War appears in the world Congress. Your only choices are Allied Powers or Axis powers. Throws the whole world into war. Barbarians outsource their services and become units you gain against other players. Lots of ideas here.

I have to go now, but I may return with some updates to this. The main issue is loading times, but even initial map generation won't have to take place except where actual players are involved.

I'm sorry, but I don't like this setup at all. It's too artificial, too "gamey," too jarring, and too arbitrary.

It is indeed more "Gamey" with more things being scripted to happen, rather then random, and becoming a Runaway and winning every time. The AI is much better suited for specific situations and objectives.

The Civilization series itself has always suffered a kind of problem where having a good early game is the make or break for everything else. Going into new regions and Era collapse places one back at the beginning every time.

Oh and I forget to add, that after every Era collapse, when a new Regime is setup, you can also add a permanent regime effect to your choice of government. Some are only compatible with certain governments, but the Tier 3 will accommodate most, and the Tier 4 all of them.

It is indeed more "Gamey" with more things being scripted to happen, rather then random, and becoming a Runaway and winning every time. The AI is much better suited for specific situations and objectives.

The Civilization series itself has always suffered a kind of problem where having a good early game is the make or break for everything else. Going into new regions and Era collapse places one back at the beginning every time.

The system you're proposing just seems very arbitrary and unusual. I've heard other 4D strategy games have used this formula (not ones I've played), but I don't know if I could embrace a future iteration of Civ that took this route, to be frank.

The proposal looks quite gamey as previously said, all those gems feel like something come from a rouge-like game. Despite that I quite like building districts provide you with bonus as a sign of what direction your civ is taking. Not sure about the region part.

My general advice to the OP is to present a streamlined model and save all the notes and asides for the end. That will cut down on the TLDR factor, which is quite heavy here.

Having said that, it's disappointing that in the Ideas & Suggestions forum that ideas & suggestions are constantly greeted with claims of being too "gamey", "too complicated", or others things that basically tell posters to bunt rather than swing for the fences.

It is fair to say this a pretty arbitrary system with no component of verisimilitude for a 4X historical game. As presented, this "royal gems" design pretty obviously works better for some fantasy setting akin to Endless Legend. I get that the gemstones are basically just a type of currency that you acquire for later usage. Would certainly need some different skinning to work in Civ.

I do appreciate any design where expansion is checked in some fashion and precipitated settling in quality locations rather than squashing together cities three tiles apart.

Top Bottom