Resource icon

[vanilla] Civilization Guide: Persia (vanilla)

Any chance of a modernisation of this guide to G&K standard? There has to be alot of changes here since the game got changed so much...

There should be some updates for different articles in the near(ish) future Gomer Pyle. As you've said, G&K has changed quite a bit so I don't think anyone's in a rush to write up something only to be told a few days later that they've actually missed an important change that undermines what they wrote.

Great! I am looking forward to these articles. They helped me out when trying to understand the game. And I really appreciate the hard work put into these. Thanks for sharing your experience with us! :)

Now with the Great Artist being the only GP who can begin a golden age, is there any need to adjust tactics to stay "forever golden"? Perhaps persia will need to be more of a cultural/GA gpp farm to stay in golden ages?

Ive tried to hit an endless GA in G and K and cant seem to do it anymore. Im sure somebody will figure it out though, also, the taj mahal is a little later now, making things awkward.

Ive tried to hit an endless GA in G and K and cant seem to do it anymore. Im sure somebody will figure it out though, also, the taj mahal is a little later now, making things awkward.

This article as many others haven't been update for GnK which means that much of it is not much of help in GnK.

Since GnK, on Prince and King settings I can still usually get to a point of having 30 to 40 turns of GA by combining the Chichen Itza wonder with the Leaning Tower and Taj Mahal. Chichen gives you the bonus GA duration, Leaning Tower helps pop out Great Artists a little quicker, and the Taj still gives a natural GA. And somewhere in there I'll usually have also built the gardens building along river cities and done all the other basic stuff.

The problem, now, is more on the higher difficulties. Without those wonders I mentioned, you're obviously a little hard up to have long GA's these days, and on higher difficulties it's far less likely you'll be able to collect all those wonders. In vanilla, this problem on higher levels was off-set by the fact you could collect any GP's to start a GA, meaning even combat could help continue the GA (Great General spawns); now, without the right wonders, it's pretty tough to get a long GA.

The one area of improvement in GnK for this strategy is that, if you can spam a ton of Great Artists, the amount of turns they provide when burned for a GA doesn't decrease nearly as fast. That said, good luck spawning enough Great Artists for this to be more than a tiny bonus (although a certain Louvre looks a lot better for late-game Persia now ;) )

If Persia has one of the best Abilities (Top 3 as of the original article) What are the other best/most favored?

Top Bottom