[Civ2] Civilization II MGE User Interface Additions (CIV2UIA)

I was playing as Franco in a Hotseat situation by myself. Playing it single player seems to let the airdrop happen without a crash, but I hate watching a bazillion moves every turn lol.

*edit had uploaded the file after closing the game, which unfortunately had Germany already sack Belgrade and the next paradrop would be substantially later. This one should yield the expected result if loaded in hotseat mode.

I tested with a Internet TCP/IP mode to play (Turks and Spanish) by myself to verify, the paradrop does not cause a crash in TCP/IP mode. Seems like it is isolated to hotseat play.

Attachments

• Fr_Auto.SAV
    154.5 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
I was playing as Franco in a Hotseat situation by myself. Playing it single player seems to let the airdrop happen without a crash, but I hate watching a bazillion moves every turn lol.

*edit had uploaded the file after closing the game, which unfortunately had Germany already sack Belgrade and the next paradrop would be substantially later. This one should yield the expected result if loaded in hotseat mode.

I tested with a Internet TCP/IP mode to play (Turks and Spanish) by myself to verify, the paradrop does not cause a crash in TCP/IP mode. Seems like it is isolated to hotseat play.

blastradius32, please try this:

New version 1.13 (build 64).
Some minor patch.
Fix for crash in Hot Seat game. Comparison of HumanCivIndex should be "> 0" instead of "<> 0". Because HumanCivIndex could be = 0xFFFFFFFF.

Download

https://github.com/FoxAhead/Civ2-UI-Additions/releases/tag/v1.13

Hi,
I have been using the CIV2UIA for a while now. However I have an issue when I try to use it on my older laptop, I recently upgraded it to Windows 10 and wanted to play some Civ2 on it. I can see on the task bar that Civ2 is on and the process is running but I can't see the game on my screen.
It's just a theory but what I think might be happening is that the Pop-up window of the Civ2UIALauncher.exe shows up off screen. I think that might be it as on my other PC it shows up off-center on the the right side of the screen. The older laptop has a 1366x768 resolution while the other one uses 1920x1080.
I just download build 64. Any ideas would be very helpful, thanks!
Many thanks for making this for us.

If you only copied the folder, you should be able to delete the config file and run the additions exe again, or momentarily attach a second screen :)

I have the copied folder of the other computer but I installed the game from the start as well. I do not see a config file, whats it called? Thanks :)

Hi,
I have been using the CIV2UIA for a while now. However I have an issue when I try to use it on my older laptop, I recently upgraded it to Windows 10 and wanted to play some Civ2 on it. I can see on the task bar that Civ2 is on and the process is running but I can't see the game on my screen.
It's just a theory but what I think might be happening is that the Pop-up window of the Civ2UIALauncher.exe shows up off screen. I think that might be it as on my other PC it shows up off-center on the the right side of the screen. The older laptop has a 1366x768 resolution while the other one uses 1920x1080.
I just download build 64. Any ideas would be very helpful, thanks!
Many thanks for making this for us.
Hi!
Please,
  1. Kill all processes 'civ2.exe' and 'Civ2UIALauncher.exe'.
  2. Then run Civ2UIALauncher.exe.
  3. Click text label "Version..." in the bottom right corner. Now it should turn black and the text "DebugEnabled: True" should appear in the Memo control.
  4. Click 'Play'
  5. Provide screenshot or other information what you see and what happens.

Just downloaded, looks nice. BTW what compiler do you use? Can't say I was expecting Pascal...

I only get an error, "Error: Wrong size of game exe file. Game version Multiplayer Gold Edition 5.4.0f (Patch 3) supported only".
Also, when applying the five different MGE patches into the Civ.2 game folder should it really create five different directories for each and every patch?
It becomes then two different .Civ2.exe files and that makes no sense.
I of course have tried to merge the five folders content into the main one but now no matter what i do i can´t get it to run.
I think overall that we all play different versions of Civ2 and have totally different PC rigs and issues with the game makes solving individual problems a bit troublesome.

Fox, wondering if you've seen or heard of this one (Win 7) - I run your launcher, hit 'play' and nothing happens other than an hourglass. In Task Manager, both the launcher and civ2 are shown as running. I kill both, restart, and then everything works fine. I don't think it's specific to your stuff, as Civ2 Unlimited behaved the same way for me. If no one else is seeing this, IMO it's not worth you bothering with it as I do have a perfectly good workaround.

Fox, wondering if you've seen or heard of this one (Win 7) - I run your launcher, hit 'play' and nothing happens other than an hourglass. In Task Manager, both the launcher and civ2 are shown as running. I kill both, restart, and then everything works fine. I don't think it's specific to your stuff, as Civ2 Unlimited behaved the same way for me. If no one else is seeing this, IMO it's not worth you bothering with it as I do have a perfectly good workaround.

Hi Serutan, I have the exactly same issue, It is not bothering but still..

i don't know if this was covered, but is there a way to have more than 256 cities. i tried your program and i love it, i made a map 180x180, 7 civs, small land masses, so the map is full of little islands everywhere. the island jumping and naval battles are constant, i love it. but i just hit a snag, limit of 256 cities.
let me know, great work. best feature is the mouse scroll wheel, i can't imagine playing without it now.

Hi, I was wondering if there's an explanation for this, despite Im been using this tool, the AI still seems unreasonably hostile to me.

At some point in the game, every AI civ starts to coalize against me.

Once they start a war (my reputation is spotless though) they are willing to sign cease fire only which is regularly broken the turn after in an infinite loop of cease-fire-broken cease-fire, there's no way to sign up a stable peace treaty.

i don't know if this was covered, but is there a way to have more than 256 cities. i tried your program and i love it, i made a map 180x180, 7 civs, small land masses, so the map is full of little islands everywhere. the island jumping and naval battles are constant, i love it. but i just hit a snag, limit of 256 cities.
let me know, great work. best feature is the mouse scroll wheel, i can't imagine playing without it now.
Yes, this topic was discussed before many times.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...additions-civ2uia.623515/page-4#post-15277752
So in my opinion it is better to disassemble the whole game, source port it and compile again extending all needed variables and structures. This work needs a lot of effort. But there are a lot of inspiring successful examples like: OpenTTD, OpenXCOM, and others.

Hi, I was wondering if there's an explanation for this, despite Im been using this tool, the AI still seems unreasonably hostile to me.
At some point in the game, every AI civ starts to coalize against me.
Once they start a war (my reputation is spotless though) they are willing to sign cease fire only which is regularly broken the turn after in an infinite loop of cease-fire-broken cease-fire, there's no way to sign up a stable peace treaty.

AI attitude was never friendly in this game. Even with so called AI attitude patch. I never investigated in detail the insides of this logic. This is generally a very subjective topic. Some one feels good with this AI, and someone not.

Yes, this topic was discussed before many times.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...additions-civ2uia.623515/page-4#post-15277752
So in my opinion it is better to disassemble the whole game, source port it and compile again extending all needed variables and structures. This work needs a lot of effort. But there are a lot of inspiring successful examples like: OpenTTD, OpenXCOM, and others.

I wonder if I could persuade you to comment on Making A Clone of Civ II? I'm not soliciting the help of others others just yet (I want to at least have a "proof of concept" before that), but I would appreciate the advice of an experienced software developer (even if that advice is not to do it).

And for anyone who may be interested - this utility works quite well with Civ 2 on Linux when run under Wine.

Is there any chance you would consider fixing the infamous Copper & Dye bug?

Back in the days, Samson released a fixed executable of Civilization II 2.4.2 which fixed it. Nowadays, most people are playing MGE, since it's the version that tends to be refitted for modern OSes. In MGE, the bug is so prevalent, it hurts the eyes. Make Caravans great again!

Last edited:
Good morning/afternoon/night,

It seems I require your assistance again.

As you may well be aware, it is possible to edit the GAME.TXT file to include levels above Deity. Deity+1, Deity+2, Deity+3 and so on until Deity+5.Since Regular Deity is somewhat easy for regular fans, Deity+1 and above can comprise a fun challenge.
Youtube link below:

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work with the Civ2UIA launcher. The game loads and plays correctly, but crashes when it attempts to make a manual savefile. It also crashes when loading a previous D+1 savefile (regardless of whether it was made with your launcher or not), or when loading a D+1 AutoSave save file. This was tested both with an older and with the most recent version of the launcher.

Would fixing it be in the realm of possibility?

EDIT: Please ignore this post. I am having conflicting reports on whether MGE itself that is fundamentally incompatible with Deity+1. I cannot run it, with MGE, but some forum posts here say otherwise. I have no clue whether it's my executable that's the problem here... is anyone able to provide more info?

Last edited:
Top Bottom