Civilization III Fixes (PLEASE READ)

I received PTW for Christmas and found this in the readme file -

"NOTE: AOL users will find it difficult to join multiplayer games and impossible to host games. AOL is currently working on changes to make on-line gaming easier. Contact AOL as to current status and workarounds."

Needless to say, I contacted AOL and got zero response. Does anyone know what this is about and when this will be fixed. I bought this game for MP and have not yet been able to enjoy it.

When I go to load a game in civ 3 it goes to about 3% and then comes up with the message "DatalO system error:GAME". Then it says "unable to read file C:program files/civilization III/saves/" etc.
And when I go to start a new game it does the same thing but it doesn't come up with any messages.
When I go to laod a scenario it says "cannot load file the file may be corrupt!".

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

can anyone help me! CIV3 IS MY FAVOURITE GAME BUT NOW IT WON'T WORK AT ALL!:cry: :help:

i use the patch 1.29v and the game will crash on my second or third move of the game....?? i always use civ edit to make a new senario and i always make a new govt.and civilization .....but when i play it on the second or third move it just exits the game...WTF...HELP ME ....

Can you give more information, like what you added? If it's a new unit, and the game can't find the directory/graphics, it will crash.

I've been reading through these posts to no avail. i don't even get as far as the CIV splash screen. I getthe Safedisc/Macrovision screen, the screen goes blank, changes resolution, goes blank again then changes resolution back to normal, and I don't get any error messages either.

Civ was working fine up until two days ago. Never had a problem. The only thing I canthink of is that I installed the latest Nvidia drivers. I've changed them back and reinstalled Civ (after trying all the updates etc).

Just incase it's a help here's my details:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: VT8367-8233
BIOS: VIA694 - 42302e31
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1600+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1399MHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 150MB used, 1100MB available
Primary File System: n/a
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.01.2600.0000 32bit Unicode

Soundblaster Platinum : latest drivers as far as I'm aware
Nvidia Geforce4 MMX 440 : 3.0.8.2

I'm at my wits end. Please help!

:confused:

When I start up the civIII.... tha picture that looks like a castle appear, but the menu does not show up the menu(new game, load game, preferences, etc....)

I tried to install it, in another folder... it did appear... but in the game when I press any button in the keyboard the game go out.. and put me in the desktop....

I have Windows Xp
GeForce 4 Ti 42000
P4 1.6

Plzzz help me.. soon!!!!

I bought civ3 yesterday, after months of waiting...

BUT after the intro movie sequence, the screen just goes blank and I can't do anything! I can hear the music, but see no picture...

i haven't got internet at home yet... so i can't really download anything. the website here said i need to update my video drivers or something, but they should be good enough already - im running AMD 1gighz athlon, 128 RAM, Windows 2000.

What can I do??? This is so frustrating!!! Im just a poor student, itcost me $70 and I can't play it!

help!

Well, it's fixed for me at least.

Try out the modifs I've posted. I'm interested in getting feedback, as I believe infogrames have made such a mess of this thing that your mileage may vary widely from one translation to another.

E.

PTW ISSUE:

I be having an issue trying to load saved games...If I try to load saved game and it has been 2 or more days since I have loaded it before Windows XP crashes and locks the my machine. The game loads to 73% then Crash!!! :(
error occurs in the civilization3x.exe

Note: this occures only on my own scenerio All I did was add a couple of units that's it I don't see how this would effect the game.

This is strange I was just playing the game before the weekend all week I would save the game everyday and I could access it now after the week end ..NOPE!!

I am a computer technician (5 years) and I can't figure this out...Does any body have any ideas on wha't going on and what I could do to prevent this from happening again..:confused:

Ive been getting this Out of snyc error...In the original Post here...Skotie says how to avoid this error...
If you encounter the "Out of Range" or "Out of Sync" message from your monitor, find out what type of monitor you have, and install the CORRECT .INF for your monitor. DO NOT use "Default" or "Plug and Play" driver from Microsoft, this is what is causing the problem. GO MICROSOFT!
However...I have no idea how to do this...I know my monitor...Hitachi CM801...

Funny thing about this Out of sync error...Im playing a Lan game with my brother...he NEVER gets this error...so it does lead me to believe its my monitor...and I ONLY get this error when bombing with one of my bombers...sum'in Id really not like to avoid if possible...:)

So...any help is greatly appreciated...:)

Well...disregaurd my above post...I have since found a way around it...I simply turned off battle animation...so the bombing run doesnt display anymore...not causing any out of sync error...:)

I get a really annoying problem. On a civilopedia link, I out the mouse over it and no cursor appears! It goes completely invislble.

I have a PII 400MHz, 32Mb Cougar NVidia Graphics, 128Mb RAM, 512kb Cache, Win95. The game always works perfectly fine, it's never crashed, I've had it for nearly a year now. But why doens't this cursor appear? Is it a problem with a dll in Windows or something????

Please help, I've posted twice and never got any replies.

It's only really an inconvenience though. It can't be my Graphics card, cause I changed it at Christmas. Still same prob.

Oh well, better not take it for granted, atleast I can still play Civ3!

Firaxis never give any good tech help though. Do they. They just give you a sheet on the most common probs, not your specific one. :(

I cannot get cruise missles onto my carriers. Do they have to be in a city? Also I have the scientific discoveries and still can't get nukes. What do you have to do to be able to build them? I have installed the latest patch but still no go with these issues. I run a 2.2 AMD, Geforce Ti4200 and 512 MB RAM.

Spent the last 2 days reading the posts and can't find anything like this:

Getting the lockups that are reported alot, seemingly random, but seems tied to autosave at end of turn. Can play for anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 hours before it freezes and I have to hard reboot. Tried it with autosave on and off, still happens.

After reboot I try to load last saved game, get 'DataIO operation System Error:Tile' , then 'Load Error- Error Reading File...(then it lists the savegame file). I can load the PREVIOUS savegame, but eventually (usually sooner rather than later) it locks up again. The lockups then seem more frequent.

I've started about 10 games so far so it's not just one corrupted game.

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.021108-1929)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: VT8363
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.2GHz
Memory: 510MB RAM
Page File: 111MB used, 1138MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0a (4.09.0000.0901)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0000.0901 32bit Unicode
DxDiag Previously: Crashed in DirectPlay (stage 1)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

here is my problem and any help would be greatly appriciated....

I am running on an IBM Aptiva, Windows 98, 6 gig hard drive with MSI monitor set at the right resolution.... (that's all I can remember about my computer's specs at the moment.... sorry)

Everytime I try to install the game it gets 70% of the way through before I receive an error box with 'ACE Error!' in the title bar and an ok button that after clicked, shuts the install down. How can I fix this? Thanks for your help in advance.

AhH! i just got a new CDRW Drive for my comp.......i also have a CDROM drive that civ3 works fine with.....now that one doesnt load(because of a dirty lens) and i am forced to use my CDRW drive. i tried to load it on there, and the autorun pops up...and then the splash pops up, and after that, it says "DRIVE READ ERROR Please Insert Civ3 Disc into CD Drive" with the options of RETRY and CANCEL i used a image maker and tried to burn an image of it...still wouldnt work! said it needed a CD....i use WINXP Pro and would greatly appreciate help!

I am planning to buy civ 3 but the problem is that i have an old monitor which can only display upto 800 by 600
My video card is quite updated supportng 1600 by 1200 at very high refresh rates
I want to know will i be able to play the game under 800 by 600
The game site strictly says 1024 by 768 . Has any member found a way to play it
Thanks in advance

Sometimes, for no apparent reason, my game will crash back to windows. I can always use the latest autosave, but it gets really annoying especially on long turns late in the game, where it only autosaves every turn. I think the disk may be scratched, but I'm not sure. If it is, how can I order a replacement disk, and how much does it cost? If something else is the problem, what can I do to fix it? I don't still have the proof of purchase, unfortunately.

System information:

Windows XP
1 gb of ram
2.0 ghz Pentium 4
Nvidia GeForce 4
I play civ3 on a 48x cdrom drive

Top Bottom