Civilization III Fixes (PLEASE READ)

reinstall error
Hey, I am experiencing a problem reinstalling Civ 3. I recently installed the game on my new cpu. I was having a few bugs, and decided that I had downloaded too many maps/patches/crap from the website.

I uninstalled the game and everything ran fine, it said that the uninstall was successful. When I went to reinstall, it runs the installshield but then pops up a window that says "Do you want to remove the selected application of all its components?" I said yes, thinking that something was left behind. It then runs a quick check then tells me that maintenance is complete.

I checked and couldn't find a trace of the game on my hard drive. On the add/remove files option under My Computer, it tells me that Civ 3 is still there, a 1.3MB file. I try to delete it but it won't work.
also i had the out of range problem and fond someone posted run with 75 herts on 1024*768 runs perfect now this

reinstall error
Hey, I am experiencing a problem reinstalling Civ 3. I recently installed the game on my new cpu. I was having a few bugs, and decided that I had downloaded too many maps/patches/crap from the website.

I uninstalled the game and everything ran fine, it said that the uninstall was successful. When I went to reinstall, it runs the installshield but then pops up a window that says "Do you want to remove the selected application of all its components?" I said yes, thinking that something was left behind. It then runs a quick check then tells me that maintenance is complete.

I checked and couldn't find a trace of the game on my hard drive. On the add/remove files option under My Computer, it tells me that Civ 3 is still there, a 1.3MB file. I try to delete it but it won't work.
also i had the out of range problem and fond someone posted run with 75 herts on 1024*768 runs perfect now this

I need someones help with my copy of Civilization III. I got this game last Christmas (2001) and I immediately ran into problems with it saying "Out of Range" when I attempted to load the game. My monitor would just go blank and I would get that stupid error message. I'd still have music in the background so the game apparently loads but my screen was blank. So somewhere in there I talked to Infogrames and they, after a lot of attempts, helped me figure out what to fix and the game worked fine for a while. I then installed a patch about a year after and I was all messed up again.

Civ III is apparently supposed to operate with a resolution of 1024x768 pixels but I only have a monitor that works at 800x600. I tried Infogrames suggested fix, adding the line "Refresh=60" to the Civilization3.ini file but it had no real effect. Now I check out the readme file for the game and it tells me to try these various lines;

"KeepRes=1 - When set to 1, your desktop resolution will be what the game uses. 1024x768 screens will be centered, but you will be able to see much more of the map on one screen.

*NoSound=1 - Disables all sound in-game.
*Video Mode=1792 / Video Mode=1600 / Video Mode=1280 / Video Mode=1152 - Force screen resolution to one of these settings."

Anyway, I attempted to follow their advice by adding "KeepRes=1" to my Civilization III ini file and even "Video Mode=1792". I experimented with these add ons to the file and was able to get the game to load up but now the title screen pops up and is way to large for my little monitor. Can anyone help me figure out how I can shrink this thing down to fit on my screen? I know this game will work with my computer and monitor, I've had it working before.

goto display properties
sittings
set it to 1024 x 768
then click advance
monitor
and set refresh rate at 75 herts

i had the same problem for the same amount of time and about 2 weeks ago i found that some one posted this somewhere on this site so thank him

and by the way id uninstall then load it again
DONT Reinstall

Hi, thanks for the advice but I really can't change the resolution my monitor works at. I tried changing my resolution to 1024x768 and my monitor blanked out and I had a heck of a time getting my monitor to work again. It doesn't look like changing the resolution is an option for me. Can anyone help me? See above message for what my problem is. I'll give you more information about my computer if that's what you need.

Phil

try just changing the refresher rate to 75 hertz
if that doesn't work then try different herts
but like i said i had the same problem on the other hand i can chage the res so i dont know if cnging the refresher rate and only the refresher rate will work because as u can see from my new problem i cant play the game

do u have the correct monitor installed?
they say it doesnt work on plug n play or default as my comp. is but the above post is how i fixed mine
im no expert but try playing around with the refresher rates or install ur monitor again

Man you would think after the fiasco with the first civ3 that Play the world would work perfectly...aarrrgghh anyhow i can start a civ and the play for awhile..the farthest i have gotten is 1400 AD. The i get a civ3 has caused an error blahblah... I have upgraded all files, even tried new installs etc, hertz and othe video stuff.

This is what i see at first
AppName: civilization3x.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: civilization3x.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 001c685a

Here is my system

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 (build 2600) No details available
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1333 megahertz AMD Athlon
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: SiS-730
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 07/06/2001
Drives Memory Modules
120.53 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
84.83 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON LTR-16102B [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

MAXTOR 6L060J3 (60.04 GB) [Hard drive] -- drive 1
WDC WD205BA (20.53 GB) [Hard drive] -- drive 0
WDC WD400AB-00CMB0 (40.02 GB) [Hard drive] -- drive

I hope someone can help me..I really want to play :)

Thanks in advance
gregg

I have been playing Civ3 for several months. Everything is fine.. I recently (last week) downloaded the latest Civ3 patch. NO, not the PTW patch. Since then I keep getting error mesages midway thru my games.

CIVILIZATION3 caused an invalid page fault in
module CIVILIZATION3.EXE at 018f:00403046.
Registers:
EAX=00000000 CS=018f EIP=00403046 EFLGS=00010202
EBX=005c5818 SS=0197 ESP=00abfaa8 EBP=01570eb0
ECX=0b42ea4c DS=0197 ESI=0b42ea4c FS=3347
EDX=00003128 ES=0197 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 80 3c 01 00 00 83 c1 58 8b 50 04 52 e8 38 71
Stack dump:
00000000 004063e3 00000000 0b42ea4c 0087442a 0b42e8e0 00000002 00000000 00589bc0 005c5818 ffffffff 0dd88520 00abfb84 00592afb ffffffff 004070e9

I am running W98, 256 megs of ram, 750 athlon processor. Any help out there?

Thank you

Doomo

HELP! Is this one of those fixable problems? I built the Alpha Centauri spaceship in Civ3(all 10 parts!). I wanted to launch it, but couldn't figure out how to get to the progress/launch screen. Then I realized that the little S button in the lower right corner means Spaceship Progress. But when I click it, nothing happens! Like I said, HELP! Please email me at starlingsrealm@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Are you sure the spaceship victory was turned on?

CivIII works great! except for the end of EVERY turn, where there is a 15minute pause. The thing keeps playing music, but the map is no longer scrollable, the white direction arrows disappear, and all I can do is wait (I'm waiting right now). It's not a driver issue I don't think, the problem was there before I upgraded to the latest nVidia drivers (I was not using Detonators before), the sound is working fine, I've tried before and after patches, before and after expansion installation (I bought both at the same time...stupid me) but its the same every time. Please help. Tech support hasn't gotten back to me...I bought the US version in Canada (is this a problem?).

I'm running a PIII 1GHZ, with 128MB RAM (performance is not an issue...the pause is an idle period), and plenty of free space.

Originally posted by bluenose
reinstall error

I have the exact same problem when I try to re-install CIV3 (vanilla) on XP. Strangely enough it works on ME. Can someone please help me how to fix it? I removed all CIV entries in the registry already...

hi i have this problem
ok firstly where do i download PTW to?
to the infograms directory or...?
because currently i have 2 options/icons
one(the old civ3 icon) and next(the new PTW icon)
isit meant to b like this?or shouldnt the PTW files auto attach to the civ3 files?

and theres this thing..i aint sure if its a bug or otherwise
i can only "talk" to other civilizations by contactinig the leader of a unit....i can no longer talk with other civs by going to the F4 screen n double clicking...the game would go into illegial operation when i try to leave the negeotiation screen..not so when i use the first method

and another thing still:(
my game "closed" when it cant find the middle ages.ini file to load...
thats why i suspect i probably downloaded PTW to a wrong directory..or did i?
pls help..

My Civ III crashes. There seems to be a loop that is messing things up. It runs very slow and then crashes. I have been in touch with the Civ III folks who were very helpful but it still is sick. I have COMPLETELY uninstalled, cleared out the startup folder with msconfig, undone everything in the CTR-ALT-DEL thingy. It still has cyberflatulence. Someone suggested I reinstall Win 98 and clean off the disk. I would rather not 'cause I have a bunch of priceless photos to archive and put on my CDRW first. I have Norton 2002 and use it religiously (how can using Norton be religious?).

Could I have some malware damage I do not know about?

Does anyone else have such a %^&$$#@ plight?

I want to conquer the world again!

Si

I have been working with josh for about 2 months. We cannot get the program running at all. He has given up and offered to exchange the game for another game, but I do not want another game. I have seen people talking about a no cd version of the game available through your company. Please let me know how I can get this version. I want to be able to play PTW. With the latest "fix" the game does not even start anymore. Please help me. You can reach me most easily at Bprax@aol.com.

Thank you in advance.

Bret P

good day to you all

After recieving Civ3 PTW for x-mass i've still not managed to play it once (now nearly 3 weeks sob sob), the game installed without any problems but when i start the game it crashes back to the desktop but unlike most of the other posts here it does not get as far as the intro movie ( i have tried deleting it but still get the crash).

All i get is a black screen then the desktop with the win XP error message "civlisation3x.exe has encountered an error and needs to close"

i have changed my monitor driver
installed the latest patches
updated both sound and video drivers and got all recent windows updates

my computer specs are
Win XP PRO
Athlon 1800XP
K7VTA2 motherboard
512 DDR ram
over 40 GIG free HDD space (recently defragged)
32x CDROM
Nvidia MSI TI4600 Gcard
128 Soundblaster PRO

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Have a most pleasant day
Dave

Welcome one and all

in response to my last post, i believe the problem with my cv ptw not starting could be due to it not finding the civ3 files from the original game.

i copied all the civ3 folders (art scenario ect) to the ptw folder and it got a lot futher into loading than in normally does.

i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the CIV3 again but no luck.

if any1 knows any way i could force ptw to find the files it would be welcomed, or if any one knows if i culd juct copy the required files to the ptw directory that would also be apprecited.

any insight on this that resloves the problem would greaty cheer me up

Good day to you all
Dave

Hi, I posted this question before and didn't get any responses....so I hoped I would get one here.....since it seems this is the place to go for problems. I keep getting this error when I try to load any new saves past a certain date...... "DataIO system operation error: CITY" And when I've loaded up an old save and then from that screen tryed to load the new ones it does the same thing however the game opens everything up like I can play it except there are no citys on the map.......can anyone help me here? I've tried re-installing it and even uninstalling but nothing works.......could the game have a gliche and I have to get a new one????? Thank you for any and al help.

Justinian II

when I launch the program I get the "loading" window, few seconds later the screen becomes blank, and than I'm shifted back to windows with the resolution of the video card set to 1024X768 (even if the resolution before was different). The application bar remains in the initial position and size, and the program is blocked.
My computer is a PII 350 with mainboard Asus P2B 320Mb ram and a Matrox G200 Agp video card. I have a monitor SONY CPD-100ES, the OS is win98.
I'm running Adaptec Direct CD V. 3.0.
I tried to load the program after having unloaded every resident program I have (such as anti virus etc..) except the Direct CD, and after having set the resolution to 1024X768. I tried to launch it after having downloaded the latest versions both of directx (9) and of my video card's driver. Of course I did not fix the problem.
I've discovered that the files on crash are: igl.dll sound.dll mss32.dll binkw32.dll and civilization3.exe.
The dxdiag fails the testfor Directx 8 with all the trivers that i've been able to find on the net.
Is there anything else I can do? do you know where can I find a good new driver?

Top Bottom