1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization III Fixes (PLEASE READ)

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by sk0tie, Nov 1, 2001.

1. pip8184

pip8184 Chieftain

sad to see sk0ti and Dan disappeared... wanted to ask wtf is wrong with the Egyptians in 1.29f, they are supposed to be industrious, but their workers take a bloody 4 turns to make roads >_>. Tell me why the other civs with the same trait get to finish a road in 2 turns.......................

2. Bop

Bop Chieftain

Hi. I've just installed the PTW patch from CIV3.com (1.27) and it seems to have done strange things to my CD drive. The game runs okay without the patch but when it's installed everytime I try to run it says "Please enter CD and try again". Needless to say I have the CD in the drive. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

3. sk0tie

sk0tie Chieftain

Please refer to www.atarisupport.com for trouble-shooting information on all known issues with Civilization III and Civilization III Play the World.

sk0tie

4. Blakerules2004

Blakerules2004 Chieftain

:mad: Says error installing iKernel.exe(0xa00) What do I do?:cool:

5. sk0tie

sk0tie Chieftain

Make sure you log in as an Administrator. Most games won't install for other users as the game was designed to be compatible with previous versions of Windows that did not have user permissions.

Click on the Start Menu and select Run. In the Run dialog box, clear any text that may be in the field and type MSCONFIG and click OK. In the System Configuration Utility, change the system to Selective Startup and uncheck Load Startup Items. Switch to the Services tab and check the Hide All Microsoft Services box. Uncheck any services left in the list and Apply the changes. Reboot your system when prompted.

Empty your Temporary directories. The files within these folders are safe to delete, and will not cause harm or loss of data to your personal files. The files located in these directories are miscellaneous files from installers and internet browsing. These two folders are in C:\Documents and Settings\YOURUSERNAME\Local Settings\ and are named "TEMP" and "Temporary Internet Files". Don't delete these folders, just delete everything inside them.

Clean the CD with warm water and use a cloth towel to dry it. Do not use any paper towels or abrasive products that may scratch it.

Right-click on the My Computer icon and go to Properties. Switch to the Hardware tab and then click the Device Manager button. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers tree, and double-click Primary IDE Channel. Switch to Advanced Settings and set the Transfer Mode on both devices to "DMA if available" and click OK to close the window. Do the same thing for the Secondary IDE Channel. Reboot after these changes are made.

Try installing the game directly off the CD and see if that does the trick. Open the My Computer Icon, right-click on the CDROM and select Explore. In here you will find Install.exe or Setup.exe. Double-click this and the installer should start.

If that doesn't work, try copying the game from the CD to your harddrive by creating a folder on your desktop and simply copy the files on the CD to the folder on your desktop. Once you have them on your harddrive, reboot your machine and install the game from the files on your harddrive via Setup.exe in that folder.

6. jimkirk

jimkirk Prince

i cant load scenarios i got ptw and scenarios say file error

7. KingMattRoe

KingMattRoe Chieftain

Ok, I'm hoping this is a relatively common problem so maybe someone could help. I have Windows XP on a Pentium Processor with all the gubbins.

Whenever I try to play the game it will go to the screen before the opening movie and then nothing will happen and I'll be stuck at windows.

It may be that my video card because that is the only thing that I can't verify as being compatible with the game but if this problem has happened to anyone else and they know what to do I would be grateful.

Matt

8. sk0tie

sk0tie Chieftain

Are you referring to the game starting up and the movie plays then locks up (during the Infogrames Movie), or does the game crash and drop you back to your desktop?

9. Andre here

Andre here Chieftain

System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 10/29/2003, 16:50:35
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) (2600.xpclient.010817-1148)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: IBM
    System Model: 2174590
    BIOS: OEMID - 0
    Processor: AMD-K7(tm) Processor, MMX, 3DNow, ~548MHz
    Memory: 352MB RAM
    Page File: 115MB used, 738MB available
    Primary File System: n/a
    DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.01.2600.0000 32bit Unicode
    Card name: S3 Graphics Inc. Savage4
    Manufacturer: S3 Graphics Inc.
    Chip type: S3 Savage4
    DAC type: S3 SDAC
    Sound Devices
    -------------
    Description: ESS 1969
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_125D&DEV_1969&SUBSYS_01621014&REV_02
    Having said all this when I try to install version patch it doesn't get in, it acts like it has but when I open PTW I see version patch 1.27 on the bottom.
    One game that I'm on is a scenario and always freezes at the same spot and only the game music continues uninterrupted. I can only get out by con-alt-del.:egypt:

10. gbright

gbright Chieftain

I have read all the replies to your post and I have searched the news groups and the forums here. I find only one question regarding this particular issue.

When I open Civ3Edit the Edit Rules page is displayed large and out of frame. I cannot move the window around nor can I minimize it. As a result I can no longer edit any scenarios.

My system:

Abit MB with 900 MHz Thunderbird
    768 MB PC100
    NVIDIA TNT 4 with latest drivers
    Win XP , latest updates
    Diamond MX400 Monster Sound latest ESS drivers
    Shamrock C809-D with the only drivers I can find

What I have tried:

Setting display to various levels - 800x600, 1024x768, 1600x1200,...
    Reinstalling game
    reinstalling OS
    Formatting drive and reinstalling Win 98, then ME, and then XP

Any suggestions clues or assistance will be appreciated.

Glorious Bright
    gbright@nospamatt.net
    (remove the nospam to email me)

11. Jan Mistique

Jan Mistique Warlord

I have a couple of queries so hope someone can help. I have just reinstalled Civ III (US Edition) + PTW (bought in the UK). Previously I have had it all up and running with no problems. Sorry if either of these queries has been asked before. You must feel free to ignore or point me in the right direction. I have searched and not found an answer to the MP query.

I have installed the US patch 1.27 and when trying to run the game, I get an error messgae saying the disc should be inserted -when it is! I have reinstalled a couple of times and even tried the UK patch to no avail.I do not feel that the disc can be faulty as I have just successfully installed from it. Any ideas?

The other query is re MP and occurred before trying to install any patches. I have successfully played this for months. Now I can't take my playing partners with me into games that I host and can't see their games if they host. So, when I host, I go into the staging window, my partners join and I click on 'launch' and go through to the setup window. My partners are then kicked out. My two partners can play each other and both can either host or join so I feel that the problem must lie with me.

What has changed? Well, I beta tested but had Conquests in a separate file. However, it is since then that I have not been able to play MP. At the same time I installed a pop-up stopper but disabled both this and the firewall before trying to play MP. I have since uninstalled the pop-up stopper and all the Conquests files to no effect. I am vaguely hoping that Conquests will fix all this but cannot wait for it to come as it is coming from the US. Anyway, I am not really optimistic on this point!

My system is Windows XP, Pentium 4, 2.0 GHz, 256 Mb RAM, Soundblaster with fairly up to date drivers. :) I am registered at Gamespy although don't go into MP from there. I have tried this too but it made no difference. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

12. KingMattRoe

KingMattRoe Chieftain

SkOtie - it is just the single image of the Civ III Castle before the movie - the splash screen I believe it is called. That comes up over my desktop, without taking up the full screen, and then dissapears, as it should. However, the Civ III movie should start up after but it doesn't.

So, if anyone has any clues I'd be really grateful.

13. daufoi

daufoi possessor of snakes

Hello,

I know when you install C3C, you can play vanilla civ and PTW. My question is, are they patched or do I need to install the patches for vanilla civ and PTW?

Thanks,
    daufoi

14. Marc1980

Marc1980 Chieftain

Hello

I have civ3(patched v129f) and civ3 conquest. Around 270BC or later if I try to load a saved game I get the following message with all my saved games:

DataIO operation System Error: CTZN
    Loading Error, Error Reading File

after this all of my cities dissapear. I started 4 games this weekend but I always had the same results.

I tried these
    1, Uninstalled the game.
    2, Scanned my computer with F-prot Antivirus.
    3, Installed Civ3 again.
    4, I patched civ3 with civ3v129f.exe
    5, Installed civ3 conquets
    6, Tried to install the game to another HDD.

Nothing has happened. How can I solve this problem?

My config:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) (2600.xpclient.010817-1148)
    Language: Hungarian (Regional Setting: Hungarian)
    System Manufacturer: VIA694
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP processor 1700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.5GHz
    Memory: 512MB RAM
    Page File: 340MB used, 909MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (85Hz)
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4523 (English)

SB Live! Audio [D000]
    Driver Name: ctaud2k.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.0244 (English)

15. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Try not patching civ 3 before installing c3c i have a brother who had the same problem, but on a reinstall he forgot to patch the other versions and the problem went away! Since then the game has ran fine.

Cheers Thorgrimm

16. Marc1980

Marc1980 Chieftain

Hello Thorgrimm

Thank you for your advice. I tried it(not patching civ 3), but unfortunately I got the same result.
    Any other idea?

Marc

17. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

Sorry the only thing i can think of is something is corrupting your sav. files, is it only after that date or does the other saves before that time also get the same errors?

Cheers Thorgrimm

18. Marc1980

Marc1980 Chieftain

Hello

Yesterday I was playing with the Maya civ, I saved the game around 200 BC , then I tried to load it back. Unfortunately I got this error message. I tried to load my autosaves , got the same result. I could only load 4000BC autosave, and one which I saved in 600 BC.
    I also get the same result when I play a Conquest game(scenario).

When I had only civ3 with patch, this error occured mostly in the modern age (that time I had win98se, now I have winXP).

I have a motherboard whit via chipset If I change it to a nforce2 motherboard, will it help me?

Marc

19. Thorgrimm

Thorgrimm Senior Elder

no i don't think it is the motherboard something is occuring that is making your new saves corrupted. If it was your motherboard other software would be affected as well. I would bet it is something in Win XP, as i do not own XP i can't help you there. One question was XP an upgrade or did you reformat your drive and then install?

Cheers Thorgrimm

20. Marc1980

Marc1980 Chieftain

Win Xp was an upgrade, I did not format the HDD. I will try that if I can't solve the problem in a week. But hope Atari will answer my e-mail, because I don't want to lose 40 Gb.

Civ3 runs without errors on your system? What kind of computer do you have? Maybe I should buy a new one and sell this one:).

Marc