1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Request Thread

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by TheTacticalApe, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

And finally, because I've gone through the New Civs list and for some reason this doesn't exist yet:-

---

Pontus (Mithridates VI)
    Start Bias: Coastal
    Capital: :c5capital: Amaseia
    UA: Eupator Dionysus
    Generate +20% :c5culture: Culture in the :c5capital: Capital for each Major Civilization with whom you are at war. Generate +1 Influence per turn with any City-State with whom you have a Trade Route for each foreign Capital you control.
    UU: Takabara (replaces Swordsman)
    Does not require Iron. Slightly stronger than the Swordsman it replaces (16 :c5strength: vs. 14), the Takabara starts with Charge and a unique promotion, "Sagaris", that grants a +25% :c5strength: Combat Bonus on the first turn they enter combat with an enemy Unit. Double Movement on Hills.
    UB: Heroon (replaces Monument)
    +2 :c5culture: Culture. +1 additional :c5culture: Culture and :c5faith: Faith for every City-State whom you are sending a Trade Route.

---

Someone get on and do this pack pls.

2. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

It kind of matches my Greece related civs. I could give that a go.
    But i'm not too good at the Lua so i guess i may be unable to do that.

3. SULOMON

SULOMON Mod Civs Best Civs.

The Pergamon UA is just a worse version of Romes UA. The Cappadocian UA is really cool but the second part would making higher difficulties considerably easier. Catching up on deity would be really easy. Alternatively someone could ignore science and still be relatively caught up. Though this ability isn't necessarily over powered.

4. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige Chieftain

Pergamon's UA was intentionally made a worse version though. I imagine them as a civilization capable of building and rebuilding, but Pergamon isn't exactly all that big.

5. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

That's weird; for one thing, its odd to make a UA which is literally just a toned down effect of someone elses UA, why would anyone want to play Pergamon? Its boring. For another thing, the strength of UAs are never based on the strength of the polity represented. Napoleons Empire was infinitely more powerful than Pocatellos but Pocatello still has the better civ if you ask me. Spain is slightly worse than the Incans despite conquering them, and Germany is one of the weakest civs in the whole game, despite being a world superpower like 3 times.

6. SULOMON

I don't think Germany ever qualified as a superpower. Even during WW2 where they were winning at first because they were fighting 3rd rate armies.

7. ldvhl

ldvhl ніщо

And they definitely didn't project global power.

8. Firebug

Whether they were successful at controlling the world or not doesn't decide if they're a super power.

America is a super power but it hasn't conquered the world, its just really rich, has a massive army and has a large nuclear arsenal.
    same with Russia.
    and Brazil is technically a super power too now, with how rich it is.

Its up to its power as a nation, not its power as an empire.

9. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

I don't think that's particularly fair; Germany beat pretty much every army they fought on equal terms at first. What's the difference between every other army on earth being 3rd rate and yours being the best?

Also, Germany totally projected global power throughout the Second World War. They had an enormous amount of influence in most of the British and French colonies, be it through her deals with Bhose in India or her support of the Arabs in Egypt and Palestine. Germany was heavily involved all over the world. Either way, that's not the primary point I was making at any rate :lol:

10. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Egyptian Split

11. Firebug

Ramesses has that synergy.

Great Person
    +
    Improvement
    = Mummy
    +
    Burial Tomb
    = Great People

Perfect design for a civ.

12. SULOMON

America is conquering the world so to speak through it's culture and economy (Though China is starting to beat us economy wise). Russia isn't a superpower at all, they only have a nuclear arsenal left from a superpower. Brazil- Being rich doesn't make a country a superpower.

They didn't really have much influence in those areas and it's almost negligible compared to Japan's actual influence in that area. Haiti could support several groups around the world but that doesn't make it powerful in the least. Support is not really influence and influence defines power of a country.

13. Firebug

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potential_superpowers#Brazil
    Meh, close enough

14. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Ayy Thanks!

I agree though, Ramesses is definitely one of my favourites so far out of the civs I've designed for the splits. I do like to think I'm getting better at this as I go along.

15. SULOMON

16. Firebug

Let's not turn this into a debate over super powers.

It says "Potential". I simply remember reading somewhere about Brazil growing into one and possibly mixed that up with actually being one. It was months back.

17. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

@Urdnot_Scott I finally get around to respond to your Greece split and you've already posted a new one? :rolleyes:

Sparta
    This UA sounds way too powerful! Ignoring positive effects of enemy promotions should surely be good enough? But I really like the concept of the Syssitia Hall, it's much better than mine. :)

Athens
    The UA here is just a nerfed version of Greece's UA. It shouldn't need to be nerfed. I once again love the concept of the UB, it is very interesting. But I have to ask why there is no Great Person focus in Athens. Of all civs...

Greece
    Might be my favourite of your designs yet. I love it. There are literally no problems here.

I think this split may be the proof that you should abandon the rule of three. There isn't a Macedon, which is a shame, as Alexander has a lot of potential for a great militaristic civ.

18. Firebug

Why are you planning Greek splits? i'm sure its already be made, but i'm not sure where you can find one...

;)

19. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Sparta
    On reflection, yeah, you're right. I've slightly nerfed the first section and totally nerfed the other sections, so I think its a little more balanced right now and also more focused on experience, tying the whole civ together a little more. Now Sparta focusses entirely on having extremely high level units, rather than advantages towards unit spam.

Athens
    I wasn't sure what to do with Greeces UA since both of my uniques are infinitely more powerful than the Greek UUs, so I thought maybe a nerf would be in order. In terms of the Great Person focus, I needed somewhere to shove the UA of vanilla Greece and so there wasn't much space for a great person focus, though I guess it could go somewhere in the Acropolis? Is it too overpowered as is or would a slight boost toward GP be okay? If I do more civs I'll probably give the vanilla UA to a Phillip of Macedon civ and refocus Athens on philosophy and democracy.

Greece
    Ayy, me too, though I'd probably be terrible at playing it since I totally neglect artefacts usually :lol:

Rule of three issue

I agree, Macedon was somewhat purposely left out because I intend to return and add another three here, like I did with Japan. The rule of three is mostly just for formatting purposes, there are plenty of civs like China, France and Arabia that I always knew would be impossible to narrow down to three. The larger civs will all eventually get an extra page or two with another three civs. When I come back to Greece I'll probably go with:

Phillip II Macedon or Thebes (For the vanilla UA)
    Alexander Macedon (Because of course, also because companion cavalry needs to go somewhere.)
    Either Mycenaean Greece, the Minoans or the 1832+ Greek Kingdom with klephts and such.

Not sure if you noticed but I kind of have a thing going on right now for splitting every civ, like half of the civs in my sig already exist somewhere. If anything I love it when one already exists, it gives me a chance to both get some ideas and also forces me to do something different and interesting to avoid similarities. It's not like I expect any of them to get made, its just fun tiems and makes for great procrastination.

20. Zantonius Hamm

Zantonius Hamm Gay anime communist

Hey, we're allowed to have fun, aren't we? :)