1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization Request Thread

Discussion in 'Civilization Design Resources' started by TheTacticalApe, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Natan35

Natan35 Mayor of St. Natansburg

A stadium replacement would make more sense than a market replacement.

2. Scapegrace

Scapegrace Obvious Spambot

Ew ew ew post-Rafflesian Singapore ew.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a lovely idea, but it's probably best to focus on literally any other point in Singapore's history. If that gets made it will draw aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the crazy out of the woodwork, and rightly so. =]

3. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

So all elements of a Singapore civ should predate its foundation? That's crazy. What's so wrong with post-rafflesian signapore that we'd rather cobble together a civ out of non-singaporean elements than represent it?

4. Firebug

Firebug Not-so Great Engineer

Singapore's history is lacking before Raffles. It was basically just a trade post. Raffles was the father of Singapore, and Singapore is what it is today thanks to him.
    Before Raffles it was an outpost of Srivijaya.

5. Maklohi Vai

Maklohi Vai Warlord

As a preface, I created a fairly large amount of Iron Age Anatolian Civilization concepts several months ago, posted them on reddit's /r/civ, and then mentioned them on this thread. So that's where I'm coming from.

Here's my take on it:

Urartu
    Leader: Argishti I. Capital: Tushpa
    UA: Fertility of the Country. +2 :c5food: food from farms next to rivers. +1 :c5food: food from hills next to rivers.
    UB: Mud Brick Temple. Replaces Temple. Grants +5 :c5strength: Defense and +2 :c5greatperson: Great Engineer Points.
    UU: Envoy of Khaldi. Replaces Great Prophet. Grants +10% :c5strength: combat strength to all Urartu units for 25 turns after it is expended.

The UA comes from the widespread irrigation in Urartu, necessitated by the relatively infertile and hilly land. When in use, however, it was very effective near the rivers of the kingdom. The UB is inspired by the widespread use of mud bricks in Urartu architecture. Their temples were often built with mud bricks at their tops, providing a defensive respite in case of an emergency. Their style also inspired later Armenian architecture, hence the Great Engineer bonus. The UU comes from the main god worshipped in Urartu, Khaldi, who was a god of war and battle. Senior officials of the kingdom served as Envoys to Khaldi, equivalent to a chief priest.

Here's my Pergamon. I'm not responding to Cappadocia because the one I made earlier wasn't very good.

Pergamon
    Leader: Attalus I. Capital: Pergamon
    UA: Nascent Infusion.
    Cities gain extra +3 :c5gold: gold, +2 :c5happy: Happiness, and a randomly decided +1 :c5greatperson: Great Artist, Writer, or Musician Point when founded.
    UB: The Great Altar. Replaces Great Temple. Grants +5 :c5culture: culture and +2 :c5greatperson: Great Sculptor Points in addition to normal yields.
    UU: Great Sculptor. Replaces Great Engineer. May not construct Manufactories. May build a Great Quarry on existing quarries, adding +3 :c5production: production, +2 :c5gold: gold, and +2 :c5culture: culture.

The UA comes from Pergamon’s practice of helping towns to grow by sending in artisans, remitting taxes, and letting them maintain some independence. This practice was meant to develop the towns enough so that they could be productive in augmenting the capital’s production. The UB is inspired by the Great Altar of Pergamon, a structure that still is intact, albeit in a few different places and pieces. The Great Altar and the attached Acropolis is arguably the greatest legacy that Pergamon has left. The UU is likewise inspired by the Acropolis and the Great Altar, and the significant stone work within Pergamon’s zone of control.

Pontus
    Leader: Mithridates VI. Capital: Amaseia
    UA: Phihellenism.
    Conquered :c5citystate: city-states have no resistance period and exert +4 :c5influence: influence per turn on 5 nearby :c5citystate: city-states. Free city-states may join the Pontian Empire if under the influence of 3 or more conquered city-states. +20% :c5strength: combat strength versus barbarians.
    UI: Orchard. Available at Calendar. May be built only on plains or grassland tiles with forest. May not be built next to a city after the Medieval Era. Provides a free bonus resource of Apple, Cherry, or Pear. Yields +2 :c5food: food and +2 :c5gold: gold. Yields an additional +1 :c5food: food with Fertilizer and +1 :c5gold: gold with Economics.
    UU: Chalkaspides. Replaces Spearman. +20% flanking bonus. +50% experience from fighting in a flanking formation.

The UA comes from Mithridates’s forceful protection of Hellenic city-states along the Black Sea against barbarians, and his subsequent adoption of a phihellenism based propaganda campaign in his own territories and in neighboring city-states. Several other city-states then requested the protection of Mithridates, and he led their collective campaign against the Roman Republic with phihellenism as his rallying force. The UI is based off of Pontus’s wealth of fruits across much of the country. Apple, cherry, and pear orchards still exist in the contemporary Turkish region that corresponds to Pontian lands. The UU is based off of Plutarch’s account of the campaign of Mithridates VI against Sulla, where he mentions the use of “Chalkaspides” by Pontian troops. These troops were a form of the Greek Phalanx that used bronze shields. The phalanx were in turn extraordinarily trained for fighting in a flanking style.

6. Firebug

Love the ideas, but Pergamon is a single city, what more cities would they found to make use of their UA.

7. Maklohi Vai

Maklohi Vai Warlord

I've also been thinking about a Burgundy civ recently and came up with a few things (not doing a UU yet because I haven't researched it). The UA is obviously pretty out there, so I'd welcome any suggestions on how to temper it or smooth it out.

Burgundy
    Leader: Hugh III. Capital: Dijon.
    UA: Loi gombette. May buy land with faith. After a unit dies, the next citizen born in the nearest city brings a small amount of gold and faith. Burgundian units which die on tiles adjacent to Burgundian lands claim that tile and all surrounding tiles.
    UI: Abbey. Available at Theology. May not be built next to a city. May not be built next to another Abbey. Yields +2 :c5faith: faith. Yields additional +1 :c5faith: faith after founding a religion and +1 :c5culture: culture after adopting a Reformation belief. Each Abbey adjacent to a Holy Site doubles the Holy Site's tourism yields.

8. Maklohi Vai

Maklohi Vai Warlord

In antiquity, yes, they were a single city, but for civ purposes it's rather boring to make a cousin of Venice.

9. Firebug

*cough* ahem.
    You'd better not take a look at my Greek civs then... :lol:

10. Tarmont

Tarmont Empress

City states often had other cities under their spheres of influence, effectively controlling them, or at least their external policy. But unlike other city states which held control of other cities through leagues (Such as Sparta, Thebes, etc), in Pergamon's case they actually had a kingdom which controlled parts of anatolia.

Why not Philip the Good?

11. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Yeah Hugh is a very odd choice AFAIK

12. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Greek Split II

13. Natan35

had this idea:

Philistines

leader: Abimelch

UA: The Great Arrival
    upon :c5war: attacking a city, receive a :c5production: production boost towards Naval units. until the industrial era, embarked units fight at full :c5strength: combat strength(attacking and defending). Infantry melee units units may gain promotions from the coastal raider promotion tree.

UU:Peleset
    replaces swordsman. unlike the swordsman which it replaces, the Peleset starts with the costal raiders I, Boarding party I and Shock I promotions, and may attack naval units while embarked. also has the amphibious promotion, and is available at bronze working. has 12 :c5strength: combat strength.

UB: brewery
    replaces Colosseum. unlike the colosseum which it replaces, the brewery yields only 1 :c5happy: happiness. however, it starts a 8-turn WLtKD when you :c5occupied: capture a new city. it also increases the :c5food: food and :c5production: production from wheat and wine by 1(and also provides 1 :c5happy: happiness if both reasources worked by the city).

(had a gaza civ idea as well, but im saving it for my modern israel split)

14. Firebug

Theres a lack of Toltec in Civ V, so if someone comes up with a good idea (that i can code) i'd probably make it.
    Here's my attempt.

15. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Oh boy! I can do this!

Ah nuts

16. Firebug

Now i'm insulted!

Try me, i'm interested. I could always modify your idea.

17. cults

cults Chieftain

deleted

18. Urdnot_Scott

Urdnot_Scott Sultan

Oh I didn't mean it as an insult, I don't actually think half of my designs are codeable and even the most simple would take the blessings of Quetzalcoatl himself to actually get done, it's not a comment on your own skill at all :lol:

I tried to focus this around the Toltec veneration of Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec God of War. The Toltecs were the first mesoamericans to start giving special importance to Huitzilopochtli and so kind of kick-started the whole warrior cult thing we now associate with the Aztecs and other Mexica peoples. Were it not for the Totecs, our vanilla Aztecs wouldn't have a conquest focus, so I figured the same focus should go to them. It is pretty similar to the Aztecs in an abstract kind of way, which is by design, but I think it plays a bit more interestingly. Whereas the Aztecs get an instant culture bonus whenever they kill an enemy, the Toltecs have to kill *lots* of enemies, and then honour the warrior that did the killing by erecting an Atlantean in their honour. The end result is culture for kills either way. Also threw around a faith focus, since I feel it makes a bit more sense anyway.

The overall dynamic is, I think, pretty exciting. Its focussed around a risk-reward strategy. You take a unit and start killing enemies with it, levelling it up (and hopefully snagging a few enemy cities to raze for a faith bonus) and then once its a fairly high level you have to decide, do I want to keep this unit around and try get more levels but risk dying, or immortalise it as an Atlantean for a long term culture bonus? The Eagle further spices this up by getting a unique and powerful bonus once it reaches a high level, making an even harder choice as to whether you want to turn into an Atlantean or not.

19. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige Chieftain

Huh...I didn't know that...though, I'm not overly familiar or am fond of pre-European American history. (Unless it's related to the Inca...)

20. Natan35

Tula... isn't that in russia?
    (Or I'm confused)