Civilization Request Thread

A stadium replacement would make more sense than a market replacement.

Ew ew ew post-Rafflesian Singapore ew.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a lovely idea, but it's probably best to focus on literally any other point in Singapore's history. If that gets made it will draw aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the crazy out of the woodwork, and rightly so. =]

So all elements of a Singapore civ should predate its foundation? That's crazy. What's so wrong with post-rafflesian signapore that we'd rather cobble together a civ out of non-singaporean elements than represent it?

Ew ew ew post-Rafflesian Singapore ew.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it's a lovely idea, but it's probably best to focus on literally any other point in Singapore's history. If that gets made it will draw aaaaaaaaaaaaaall the crazy out of the woodwork, and rightly so. =]

Singapore's history is lacking before Raffles. It was basically just a trade post. Raffles was the father of Singapore, and Singapore is what it is today thanks to him.
Before Raffles it was an outpost of Srivijaya.

As a preface, I created a fairly large amount of Iron Age Anatolian Civilization concepts several months ago, posted them on reddit's /r/civ, and then mentioned them on this thread. So that's where I'm coming from.

Urartu (Semiramis) (Yes she's semifictional I don't care she's awesome)
Start Bias: Coastal
Capital: Tushpa
UA: Reach Of Argishti
Gain a +2% Military Production bonus in all Cities for each Major Civilization with whom you are trading a Strategic Resource. Generate +2 Faith for each Major Civilization with whom you have a direct land border.
UU: Mare-Man (replaces Chariot Archer)
Unlike the Chariot Archer it replaces, the Mare-man is a melee unit. Also vastly different to the Chariot Archer, it starts with Formation I, +1 Movement, and the unique promotion "Suri of Haldi", which grants a +5% Combat Bonus for every Shrine and Temple in the Empire, to a maximum of +50%. Upgrades to Knight.
UB: Sisi (replaces Temple)
+2 Faith. Costs no Maintenance, and generates +1 Faith for each Military Unit trained or purchased for Faith in the City in which it is built. Each Sisi lowers the cost of purchasing Military Land Units with Faith by 5%, to a maximum of 50%
Here's my take on it:

Urartu
Leader: Argishti I. Capital: Tushpa
UA: Fertility of the Country. +2 :c5food: food from farms next to rivers. +1 :c5food: food from hills next to rivers.
UB: Mud Brick Temple. Replaces Temple. Grants +5 :c5strength: Defense and +2 :c5greatperson: Great Engineer Points.
UU: Envoy of Khaldi. Replaces Great Prophet. Grants +10% :c5strength: combat strength to all Urartu units for 25 turns after it is expended.

The UA comes from the widespread irrigation in Urartu, necessitated by the relatively infertile and hilly land. When in use, however, it was very effective near the rivers of the kingdom. The UB is inspired by the widespread use of mud bricks in Urartu architecture. Their temples were often built with mud bricks at their tops, providing a defensive respite in case of an emergency. Their style also inspired later Armenian architecture, hence the Great Engineer bonus. The UU comes from the main god worshipped in Urartu, Khaldi, who was a god of war and battle. Senior officials of the kingdom served as Envoys to Khaldi, equivalent to a chief priest.

And since we're doing Black Sea Colonies:

Kingdom of Pergamon:
Leader: Attalus I
Unique Ability: Attalid Builders: Production requirements for buildings reduced by 20% in cities you own if you already have a building constructed in the Capital.
Unique Unit: Thureos Spears: Stronger version of the Spearman of which it replaces.
Unique Building: Holosideros Barracks: Replaces the Barracks. In addition to the traditional benefits of the Barracks, a Garrisoned unit in a city with this building provides an additional 25% combat bonus.
Capital: Pergamon
Here's my Pergamon. I'm not responding to Cappadocia because the one I made earlier wasn't very good.

Pergamon
Leader: Attalus I. Capital: Pergamon
UA: Nascent Infusion.
Cities gain extra +3 :c5gold: gold, +2 :c5happy: Happiness, and a randomly decided +1 :c5greatperson: Great Artist, Writer, or Musician Point when founded.
UB: The Great Altar. Replaces Great Temple. Grants +5 :c5culture: culture and +2 :c5greatperson: Great Sculptor Points in addition to normal yields.
UU: Great Sculptor. Replaces Great Engineer. May not construct Manufactories. May build a Great Quarry on existing quarries, adding +3 :c5production: production, +2 :c5gold: gold, and +2 :c5culture: culture.

The UA comes from Pergamon’s practice of helping towns to grow by sending in artisans, remitting taxes, and letting them maintain some independence. This practice was meant to develop the towns enough so that they could be productive in augmenting the capital’s production. The UB is inspired by the Great Altar of Pergamon, a structure that still is intact, albeit in a few different places and pieces. The Great Altar and the attached Acropolis is arguably the greatest legacy that Pergamon has left. The UU is likewise inspired by the Acropolis and the Great Altar, and the significant stone work within Pergamon’s zone of control.

Pontus (Mithridates VI)
Start Bias: Coastal
Capital: :c5capital: Amaseia
UA: Eupator Dionysus
Generate +20% :c5culture: Culture in the :c5capital: Capital for each Major Civilization with whom you are at war. Generate +1 Influence per turn with any City-State with whom you have a Trade Route for each foreign Capital you control.
UU: Takabara (replaces Swordsman)
Does not require Iron. Slightly stronger than the Swordsman it replaces (16 :c5strength: vs. 14), the Takabara starts with Charge and a unique promotion, "Sagaris", that grants a +25% :c5strength: Combat Bonus on the first turn they enter combat with an enemy Unit. Double Movement on Hills.
UB: Heroon (replaces Monument)
+2 :c5culture: Culture. +1 additional :c5culture: Culture and :c5faith: Faith for every City-State whom you are sending a Trade Route..
Pontus
Leader: Mithridates VI. Capital: Amaseia
UA: Phihellenism.
Conquered :c5citystate: city-states have no resistance period and exert +4 :c5influence: influence per turn on 5 nearby :c5citystate: city-states. Free city-states may join the Pontian Empire if under the influence of 3 or more conquered city-states. +20% :c5strength: combat strength versus barbarians.
UI: Orchard. Available at Calendar. May be built only on plains or grassland tiles with forest. May not be built next to a city after the Medieval Era. Provides a free bonus resource of Apple, Cherry, or Pear. Yields +2 :c5food: food and +2 :c5gold: gold. Yields an additional +1 :c5food: food with Fertilizer and +1 :c5gold: gold with Economics.
UU: Chalkaspides. Replaces Spearman. +20% flanking bonus. +50% experience from fighting in a flanking formation.

The UA comes from Mithridates’s forceful protection of Hellenic city-states along the Black Sea against barbarians, and his subsequent adoption of a phihellenism based propaganda campaign in his own territories and in neighboring city-states. Several other city-states then requested the protection of Mithridates, and he led their collective campaign against the Roman Republic with phihellenism as his rallying force. The UI is based off of Pontus’s wealth of fruits across much of the country. Apple, cherry, and pear orchards still exist in the contemporary Turkish region that corresponds to Pontian lands. The UU is based off of Plutarch’s account of the campaign of Mithridates VI against Sulla, where he mentions the use of “Chalkaspides” by Pontian troops. These troops were a form of the Greek Phalanx that used bronze shields. The phalanx were in turn extraordinarily trained for fighting in a flanking style.

Love the ideas, but Pergamon is a single city, what more cities would they found to make use of their UA.

I've also been thinking about a Burgundy civ recently and came up with a few things (not doing a UU yet because I haven't researched it). The UA is obviously pretty out there, so I'd welcome any suggestions on how to temper it or smooth it out.

Burgundy
Leader: Hugh III. Capital: Dijon.
UA: Loi gombette. May buy land with faith. After a unit dies, the next citizen born in the nearest city brings a small amount of gold and faith. Burgundian units which die on tiles adjacent to Burgundian lands claim that tile and all surrounding tiles.
UI: Abbey. Available at Theology. May not be built next to a city. May not be built next to another Abbey. Yields +2 :c5faith: faith. Yields additional +1 :c5faith: faith after founding a religion and +1 :c5culture: culture after adopting a Reformation belief. Each Abbey adjacent to a Holy Site doubles the Holy Site's tourism yields.

*cough* ahem.
You'd better not take a look at my Greek civs then... :lol:

Love the ideas, but Pergamon is a single city, what more cities would they found to make use of their UA.

City states often had other cities under their spheres of influence, effectively controlling them, or at least their external policy. But unlike other city states which held control of other cities through leagues (Such as Sparta, Thebes, etc), in Pergamon's case they actually had a kingdom which controlled parts of anatolia.

I've also been thinking about a Burgundy civ recently and came up with a few things (not doing a UU yet because I haven't researched it). The UA is obviously pretty out there, so I'd welcome any suggestions on how to temper it or smooth it out.

Burgundy
Leader: Hugh III. Capital: Dijon.
UA: Loi gombette. May buy land with faith. After a unit dies, the next citizen born in the nearest city brings a small amount of gold and faith. Burgundian units which die on tiles adjacent to Burgundian lands claim that tile and all surrounding tiles.
UI: Abbey. Available at Theology. May not be built next to a city. May not be built next to another Abbey. Yields +2 :c5faith: faith. Yields additional +1 :c5faith: faith after founding a religion and +1 :c5culture: culture after adopting a Reformation belief. Each Abbey adjacent to a Holy Site doubles the Holy Site's tourism yields.

Why not Philip the Good?

Yeah Hugh is a very odd choice AFAIK

Greek Split II

Thebes
Leader: Epaminondas
UA: Hegemony of Thebes
:c5citystate: City-State :c5influence: Influence degrades at half and recovers at twice the normal rate. Units which end their turn within :c5citystate: city state borders do not incur an :c5influence: influence penalty and may heal as though it were friendly territory.

UU: Sacred Band(Replaces Spearman)
The Sacred Band is much more expensive than the Spearman to produce, but begins with the unique promotion 'Band of Lovers' which give it a 1% combat boost for every other Sacred Band in existence. Furthermore if a Sacred Band is killed, adjacent Sacred Bands receive the 'Frenzy' Promotion for 3 turns which grants them +1 attack per turn and +50% combat strength on attack.

UU: Helot Slingers (Replaces Composite Bowman)
The Helot is slightly weaker than the composite bowman it replaces, but are much cheaper. Furthermore, liberating cities instantly provides 2 maintenance-free helots (3 for liberating a :c5citystate: city state) and capturing enemy workers has a chance to turn that worker into a maintenance-free helots helot.

Macedonian Empire
Leader: Alexander III
UA: The Boy Who Would be King
Upon making peace with an enemy major civilisation, receive :c5greatperson: Great General points in the :c5capital: capital for every city captured during the war; :c5greatperson: Great General points gained this way decay while at peace. Capturing an enemy city grants :c5goldenage: Golden Age points for every city the enemy still hold.

UU: Diadochi(Replaces Great General)
The Diadochi excels at fighting a civ larger than your own, granting an additional 10% combat bonus to adjacent units while at war with a larger civilisation. Furthermore, if born while at war, the Diadochi grant :c5goldenage: Golden Age points for every unit adjacent to an enemy. While stationed in an :c5occupied: occupied city while at war, removes the :c5unhappy: unhappiness penalty.

UB: Companion Cavalry (Replaces Horseman)
The Companion Cavalry receive +1 :c5moves: movement over the regular horseman and begin with the promotion Great Generals I, increasing the rate at which the Companion Cavalry generates :c5greatperson: Great Generals. In addition, the Companion Cavalry also generate :c5greatperson: Great General points from killing enemy units while in enemy territory, alongside regular generation from experience gain.

Homeric Greece
Leader: Agamemnon
UA: Proto-Hellenism
Receive +1 :c5greatperson: Great Writer points in the :c5capital: capital for every friendly or allied :c5citystate: city state. Connecting :trade: trade routes to friendly :c5citystate:city states generate an additional +1 :c5gold: gold for every :greatwork: Great Work in the home city and +3 :c5culture: culture if allied.

UU: Stadion (Replaces Colosseum)
The Stadion is much more expensive than the Colosseum it replaces, but comes earlier, at writing. However, the Stadion does not generate any base yield whatsoever. Instead, the Stadion generates :c5happy: +2 happiness and +1 :c5faith: faith whenever a unit is garrisoned in that city. Furthermore, veteran units may 'Compete' in cities with a stadion. This will either grant this unit 1 experience for every allied :c5citystate: city state, trigger a We Love the King Day, boost relations with a random friendly or allied :c5citystate: city state, generate :c5greatperson: Great Writer points or disband the unit. Receive :c5culture: culture whenever this happens.

UB: Equetai (Replaces Horseman)
The Equetai comes slightly earlier than the horseman, at Calendar, rather than Horseback Riding. That said, the Equetai is slightly weaker than the Horseman it replaces. To make up for this, the Equetai increase the yields of the Stadion by 1 :c5happy: happiness and increase the experience of units trained in that city if garrisoned.

had this idea:

Philistines

leader: Abimelch

UA: The Great Arrival
upon :c5war: attacking a city, receive a :c5production: production boost towards Naval units. until the industrial era, embarked units fight at full :c5strength: combat strength(attacking and defending). Infantry melee units units may gain promotions from the coastal raider promotion tree.

UU:Peleset
replaces swordsman. unlike the swordsman which it replaces, the Peleset starts with the costal raiders I, Boarding party I and Shock I promotions, and may attack naval units while embarked. also has the amphibious promotion, and is available at bronze working. has 12 :c5strength: combat strength.

UB: brewery
replaces Colosseum. unlike the colosseum which it replaces, the brewery yields only 1 :c5happy: happiness. however, it starts a 8-turn WLtKD when you :c5occupied: capture a new city. it also increases the :c5food: food and :c5production: production from wheat and wine by 1(and also provides 1 :c5happy: happiness if both reasources worked by the city).

(had a gaza civ idea as well, but im saving it for my modern israel split)

Theres a lack of Toltec in Civ V, so if someone comes up with a good idea (that i can code) i'd probably make it.
Here's my attempt.

Toltecs
Leader: Ce Acatl Topiltzin
Capital: :c5capital: Tula

UA: Monuments of The Feather Serpent
Cities gain production equal to a fifth of a their culture output.

UU: Coyote (Replaces Warrior)
Bonus against wounded units. +5% combat bonus for each adjacent Atlantes. Obsoletes at Steel.

UI: Atlantes
+2 culture. +1 production for each adjacent Atlantean. Can only be built on hills.

Theres a lack of Toltec in Civ V, so if someone comes up with a good idea

Oh boy! I can do this!

that i anyone god himself can code

Ah nuts

Now i'm insulted!

Try me, i'm interested. I could always modify your idea.

Oh I didn't mean it as an insult, I don't actually think half of my designs are codeable and even the most simple would take the blessings of Quetzalcoatl himself to actually get done, it's not a comment on your own skill at all :lol:

Toltec Empire
Leader: Ce Acatl Topiltzin
UA: Patrons of Huitzilopochtli
Upon disbanding a unit in friendly territory, an Atlantean will be constructed on the same tile which yield +1 :c5faith: faith and :c5culture: culture for every level gained by the unit. If at least one city is being :c5razing: razed in the empire, religious buildings in the :c5capital: capital yield +2 :c5faith: faith.

UU: Eagle(Replaces Spearman)
The Eagle, unlike the spearman it replaces, starts with the unique promotion 'Blessings of Quetzalcoatl' which grant it a +5% :c5strength: bonus on attack and the ability to generate a small amount of :c5faith: faith from kills. Upon reaching level 3 Eagles may select the unique promotion 'Blessings of Huitzilopochtli' - granting it a further +10% :c5strength: attack bonus and no movement penalty in rough terrain. For every unit with this promotion worldwide, receive +1 :c5faith: faith in the :c5capital: capital while at war.

UI: Atlantean
May be constructed on sources of stone or marble, or through disbanding units. When worked by a city, the Atlantean grants units trained there an additional +3 :c5war: experience points, plus a further +1 :c5war: experience for every point of :c5faith: faith the Atlantean yields.

I tried to focus this around the Toltec veneration of Huitzilopochtli, the Aztec God of War. The Toltecs were the first mesoamericans to start giving special importance to Huitzilopochtli and so kind of kick-started the whole warrior cult thing we now associate with the Aztecs and other Mexica peoples. Were it not for the Totecs, our vanilla Aztecs wouldn't have a conquest focus, so I figured the same focus should go to them. It is pretty similar to the Aztecs in an abstract kind of way, which is by design, but I think it plays a bit more interestingly. Whereas the Aztecs get an instant culture bonus whenever they kill an enemy, the Toltecs have to kill *lots* of enemies, and then honour the warrior that did the killing by erecting an Atlantean in their honour. The end result is culture for kills either way. Also threw around a faith focus, since I feel it makes a bit more sense anyway.

The overall dynamic is, I think, pretty exciting. Its focussed around a risk-reward strategy. You take a unit and start killing enemies with it, levelling it up (and hopefully snagging a few enemy cities to raze for a faith bonus) and then once its a fairly high level you have to decide, do I want to keep this unit around and try get more levels but risk dying, or immortalise it as an Atlantean for a long term culture bonus? The Eagle further spices this up by getting a unique and powerful bonus once it reaches a high level, making an even harder choice as to whether you want to turn into an Atlantean or not.

Tula... isn't that in russia?
(Or I'm confused)

Top Bottom