Civilization V Special Edition Announced

Why do you guys seem to completely ignore the fact that Babylon will probably be out a month after the game for ~$5ish? :O

Sure, you shouldn't have to pay, but atleast retail buyers get the option. I don't have the option of buying the miniatures for $5ish after the game is out.

10% of the full game price for about 1% of the content? Yeah, that's going to sell. $1 would be a good pricepoint to buy a stand alone civilization.

2k Elizabeth can you comment on the size of the manual? How many pages? Is it standard in both regular and Collectors? Is collectors editions larger? This is the selling point to me, and I know others are curious as well.

I would also like to get some info about this thing

They are different editions and have different things inside them - there are only a couple items that overlap between the two.

I'm a grown up, I have disposable income. I bought the CE of Civ4 and would happily pay extra for pretty minitures and stuff.

But it has to come with Babylon or I won't pay for it.

As is, I'm already on the fence about this product for multiple reasons (many of which make Civ5 sound like a wargame rather than a civ-sim). By breaking up the different versions of Civ5 you make me choose between a spiffy retail version (which I'd prefer) to a Steam-specific version which is more complete (which I abhor).

2k, you'll need to pick one. And being Gamers, I suspect you'll find that the Steam version will be the more popular and the retail version likely a waste of resources.

In addition, I'd be surprised if Civ5 sells as well as Civ4 due to the marketing chaos that having 3 different versions of the game will result in.

There is still time to amend your ways 2K! Give us a better retail version before it's too late to save Christmas Future!

I guess I am missing something. Why is having Babylon a big deal? Aren't they just another civ like the 17 we already have?

Why do you guys seem to completely ignore the fact that Babylon will probably be out a month after the game for ~$5ish? :O
This makes a lot of sense, and is a good prediction IMO.

Sure, you shouldn't have to pay, but atleast retail buyers get the option. I don't have the option of buying the miniatures for $5ish after the game is out.

Am I the only one who likes the idea of a 176-page artbook more than the figurines? People seem to be completely ignoring the book.

I'm starting to rethink 2k not being greedy...

I see what looks like a robot mech as one of the figurines, all of which are "based on units from Civilization V".

Utterly lame.

It's still possible that a unit from an official mod or scenario could be worthy of being figurine'd, but I agree with the speculation that it's just revealing what the "super secret unit" was.

Regarding the robot mech unit, I have no problem with it, Civilization is about advancing, if the game advances into the future, then I'll be extra happy. It's not as if it's unrealistic.

As for the box, I am very torn, no body will buy both, I want the SE more than I want Babylon - which is especially fine if Babylon is to be downloadable at a later date for a small fee, an idea I quite like. It's pretty obvious this is a deal made with Steam.

But we do need more details on what is happening with Babylon and future Civilizations for download so that many of us can decide which version of CiV to buy.

Just heard about this Special Edition. I am GETTING this if I have to sell myself on the street corner to pay for it. Babylon would have been nice too, but I bet that will come later. Already know exactly where I am going to display those minatures .......:mischief:

Now, Civ is the ONLY game I play (I haven't gotten into CivRev (iPad version) much), so I don't mind supporting Firaxis/2K a little extra. Wow, $100 instead of $50 US. :eek:

If there are multiple versions and they all have different "bonus items," can I buy them all together and have access to all the bonuses when I steam it? :)

Just a hypothetical at this point, but I can easily envision purchasing a couple of them. It's not likely I'll be buying another game until the first expansion is released.

ah EB looks like you will be getting my money after all

Regarding the robot mech unit, I have no problem with it, Civilization is about advancing, if the game advances into the future, then I'll be extra happy. It's not as if it's unrealistic.
Yes it is unrealistic. There is no strategic use for a bipedal walking robot, and the strategic uses of a quadruped walking robot are limited. Not that the robot bothers me, but it's definitely unrealistic.

Yes it is unrealistic. There is no strategic use for a bipedal walking robot, and the strategic uses of a quadruped walking robot are limited. Not that the robot bothers me, but it's definitely unrealistic.

That I can agree on, "how to make something vulnerable? Give it legs". Perhaps Nano-tubes are discoverable and that's what it's made out of. :)

I forgot to mention, one of the metal figurines looks like an AT-ST from Star Wars...

They are different editions and have different things inside them - there are only a couple items that overlap between the two.

So you basically side step all the tough questions and call it "real dialogue"? What you meant to say was " Yes we think you are all that stupid, and expect you to buy both versions of the game".

Moderator Action: Infraction for inappropriate language

Top Bottom