Civilization V Special Edition Announced

I've finally forced myself to be receptive to Steam. But it's like 2K never rests with the craziness they keep throwing in everyone's face. 3 versions? All with different stuff? Who makes these decisions to do this? Most don't have money to 'Waste' buying multiple copies to get all the stuff with the problems in the global economy.

And we never get answers... it's like talking to a politician, it's about as transparent as a brick wall. For a special store edition with 'Everything' included, why is everything Not included? And why leave out the extra civilization, which most would view as the most important thing!

Book sounds good, what kind of book is it? A picture book of art? A manual? Both?

2K is the reason for all this stuff... Firaxis doesn't make utterly awkward, strange, and abnormal decisions like this... only Take-2/2K could possibly pull such a weird thing off; as their past history has shown they are not a 'Solid' company, but kind of a rif-raf blowing in the wind making decisions like a drunk high school kid would do ;)

I know right, 3 versions. As others have said, I can't decide for the life of me. As silly as it may sound, the manual is the thing I really care about lol. I can live without the art book(wish it was manual/art) and I can live without little statues(not my cup of tea). If the manual is nothing special I will just get the regular version retail, and cross my fingers that Babylon comes out at a later time. I'll have 18 other civs to play with, and won't miss one. If Babylon comes out, then great I'm grabbing it. If not, then I have faith a decent mod will roll out with Babylon(you know modders are waiting to stick it to 2k by trying to make a great Babylon). Now I just have to wait for word on the manual, so I can preorder!!

I hear you. I'm still on a counter-strike against Major League baseball over the missing World Series. I gave away my official merchandise collection and never looked in the sports section, tuned in the radio or turned on the tv for baseball again.

The DLC thing/threat to the multiplayer & modding staus quo has disturbed me so much that I went from" a must have, even at 10X the price" to "wait till it gets marked down & buy from anyone but Steam" vs. "skip V entirely. "

I've learned a lot this week. Firaxis is down-sizing. That you can turn off your auto-patch on a game basis in Steam. That Firaxis intends to work on PBEM, pittboss and hotseat when they've finished V. That they are offering this special edition.

It seems to me that Firaxis and 2K are listening and making an effort. Maybe I can show some good faith on my part. I can buy the Special Boxed Edition. I can still take a stand against premium DLC, if they offer it, by not buying it. I can support the game without supporting a certain marketing plan.

That's how it looks to me today.

It's definitely gone from a "must buy" to a "wait and see". If there is any serious DLC, I will refuse to buy the game. If there isn't (I'll wait a while to see), then I'll buy it. I really like this edition of Civ5, and I definitely like some of the stuff I've seen in Civ5.

This is what a collecter edition should be, figures & soundtrack & artbook stuff.

None of this extra ingame stuff rubbish, the game should be same no matter what version you buy.

So in my opinion, the problem isnt this one, the problem is the DigitalDeluxe one. Ill probably get this if the figures look cool. :)

Just a heads up, Just went to my EB and they have a new poster of the collectors edition, and the Art on the box has changed, it now shows a valley with a river running through it.

WHat a load of rhinoceros dung. I hope 2K spends a horsehockyload of money distributing the special edition and that no one picks it up.

Bioware/EA had the "Wardens Keep" DLC included in Dragon Age: Origins Digital Deluxe, others could buy it from the first day or at least very soon after launch, I'm not sure. The hardcopy CE did not have it!
Firaxis/2k might do exactly the same IMO.

I'm generally quite convinced that DLC, in the form of additional Civs, is an ideal way to earn money after release and they'll offer it. Everyone does nowadays! I guess some not included Civs like Spain or the Vikings would find a lot of customers. The team creating the leader sounds and animations would have something to do, the rest (UU/UB and balancing) doesn't seem so hard to me when they have 18 already balanced reference civs...

I think this scenario is very likely, and while I'm not exactly a fan of DLC in general, I might be tempted to buy 2-3 missing Civs for 5$ each...

Just a heads up, Just went to my EB and they have a new poster of the collectors edition, and the Art on the box has changed, it now shows a valley with a river running through it.
I just hope the river on the box looks beter than the ones I've seen in the game ;)

$100 with no Babylon :hmm: I think I am going to stick with my pre-order with Amazon and just get that and hope they will allow us to DL Babylon later on.

And you did not make a photo :(?

And you did not make a photo :(?

They don't like you doing that and I'm not risking my Civ on a grumpy store-clerk

o_O why do they not like it?
I guess no one has to understand that.

Most probably you wouldn't like strangers to come into your house and taking some photographs of the inside of the fridge either, would you? ;)

I'll buy the physical edition for sure, im not into downloads.. but what a mess. Totally agree on that there shouldn't be any in-game differences. think I'll just ignore Babylon. I'm willing to pay 100$, but not for an incomplete game...

Most probably you wouldn't like strangers to come into your house and taking some photographs of the inside of the fridge either, would you? ;)

At the moment that would not even be a problem :D.
No, in this case it would be...advertisment (somehow), and i have no idea why they don't want it :crazyeye:.

:confused: Collectors Edition is not Special Edition.
Out west (Nevada, USA) EB Games have all been folded into GameStop. Went to my local GameStop and they have only the standard issue of V available. Same with their web site.

it will be a while though, why would they bother selling it as an exclusive civ? they will be sued by people who bought it for babylon if they just release it later shortly.

Top Bottom