1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civilization VI Release Schedule

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by ales_, Oct 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Carp

The Carp Chieftain

Why can't people learn to use UTC time notation ?!
    Would make it so much easier to tell when it unlocks where you are without having to first figure out whatever ET/BST/AEDT is and then do the conversion.

Zone 1: OCT 20, 16:00 UTC
    Zone 2: OCT 20, 23:00 UTC
    Zone 3: OCT 21, 04:00 UTC

With that you just need to know your UTC offset and do a basic math equation whenever you see UTC times.
    For example, I live somewhere in Zone 2 with an offset of +2 so I know the game will unlock for me Friday at 1 am.

Cyberian, ales_ and Estelil like this.
  2. esoba

esoba Warlord

Please let us know what you hear. I know one of the messages above says using a VPN to unlock isn't against the rules, but I'd like clarification as well.

3. Deggial

Deggial Emperor

That's because the USA aren't yet great again! ;)

Xen, FooTooAy and andydtoma like this.
  4. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Hey good catch, looks like I googled AEST rather than AEDT. Daylight savings for the southern hemisphere! :crazyeye:

I doubt they'll give you an answer, or if they do it may just be a vague suggestion that you refer to the terms of service, but if they do please let us know what it is.

5. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Because it implies England is the centre of the world. I doubt whomever came up with it was ignorant enough to expect every other nation to just swallow that. It's just more tedious English imperialism.
    If a global system were to be made, and expected to be adopted globally, it would have to be as neutral as possible. Put the centre in the ocean somewhere and have the Delta relative to no nation. Until then, people will just keep using the current inferior system.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. Panixs

Panixs Warlord

People dont tend to use UTC as its not an offical time zone anywhere, you get people using things like GMT,BST,EDT because that is still whats in use day to day in their lifes. If i am at work and want to talk to someone in our new york office i dont convert BST to UTC and EDT to UTC to work out the difference. I just know the difference between BST and EDT.

7. skyclad

skyclad Prince

Ok yes for two specific times zones you need no help or course, especially if you follow daylight savings time on the same dates.
    This is a little different i think, the release-zones are huge, and we all observere daylight savings on different dates. Having UTC would have helped me a lot in figuring this out.
    I live in zone 2 (yeah, the one from Greenland across Eurasia to the Barents sea) and have no idea what 12am BST is. UTC makes it very simple.

ales_ likes this.
  8. Panixs

Panixs Warlord

I do understand was just trying to give examples of why UTC isn't used much. I guess its cultural I also live in zone 2 but because im in the UK most things like this normally use GMT/BST so I don't really get the pain that you have.

9. skyclad

skyclad Prince

Sorry if i came of rude, I understand what you mean! As a non-Brit myself I think its a little silly if we dont use it just because the Brits have theirs as default ;)

10. Danzo_87

Danzo_87 Warlord

22 and a half hours until it unlocks in my region(region 1):)

11. Panixs

Panixs Warlord

I got really excited then until I read region 1 :(

ales_ likes this.
  12. The Carp

The Carp Chieftain

Except that UTC is THE official time standard to which a timezone gets its offset.
    I understand that people don't use it much out of ignorance and habit but that's not a reason to not try and improve the situation.
    Especially when it's a company announcing worldwide events.

In the example that you have given you are doing the conversion implicitly anyway.
    You have to learn (at least once) the offset of both zone then calculate the difference.
    By using UTC you don't need to figure out the local timezone names and offsets of where the people who will be using that info are.

For example if my new website is supposed to go online at noon Paris time then I just need to announce that it will go online at 14:00 UTC+2 and whoever is interested will know right away when it will be in their local time (granted they know their timezone's offset first).
    I've been using that with all my clients for a while now and it's working great.
    Usually those that don't know what it means when first seeing it just ask about it and then I explain to them what it is and how it works.

ales_ likes this.
  13. Fakoleon

Fakoleon Warlord

Hi, someone know a good VPN ? And where should I set it ? Some told me in quebec they get it on thu 12am, but it's zone 3 so i get a bit confuse now

14. The Carp

The Carp Chieftain

I use HideMyAss but it isn't free.
    As for release time in Quebec, that would be at 12 am Friday (midnight between Thursday and Friday)

15. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

If you only want it for unlocking the game, I would recommend OpenVPN. Preload the game first, as there is a 2gb monthly cap on a free account with them, that aught to be enough to unlock the game though.

The game will unlock for you and I at noon tomorrow. Here is a countdown for you to stare at for the next 11 hours straight.
    Close Steam just after noon, set SecureTunnel (the program that comes with OpenVPN) to Hong Kong, open Steam back up et voilà, il est prêt a joue dans dix ou quinze minute.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  16. Fakoleon

Fakoleon Warlord

Thanks, I think I will try this solution, the pre download is ready since monday, OpenVPN is ready to go, plus qu'a attendre maintenant !
    Also I noticed we can change the "download region" in Steam setting, do I have to set Hong Kong here too? or VPN only will be enough

17. narmox

narmox Emperor

6 hours to go here, but of ocurse probably won't be available right away for Mac anyway...

18. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

You don't have to, but it might speed things up a bit.

19. Sic

Sic Chieftain

Does anyone know of any VPN with a free trial that doesn't require software?

... and has someone actually confirmed with Steam/Valve that this is, indeed, allowed within the Steam TOS?

20. Shafi-is-back

Shafi-is-back Prince

Shouldnt the game now unlock for zone 1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.