1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civs discussion thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World' started by Rhye, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Rhye

Rhye 's and Fall creator

how is Etruria going recently? And Rome, does it develop?
    I believe we can find some suitable goals and balancent for Etruria if we brainstorm.

2. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

Maybe don't lose a single city to Rome before X BC/AD could be one? Maybe a bit challanging, but it could work.
    They were also enemies of the greeks and in time allied themselves with Carthage. So maybe have at least one Defensive Pact before Y BC (preferably 500 BC)
    They also had influence over the Italian Penisuela before the rise of Rome, so Maybe a control Italy and Sicilia before Z BC could be the last. This will allow them to wage war against Magna Grecia, who were their's, and their ally Carthage's, enemy. This will again be best if it is compleated before the Romans starting date.

PS.
    If you release a beta version, please post the link here so I could download it.

3. Steb

Steb King

Last time I played, them, they were horrible. You don't have time to achieve anything before Rome spawns, and also, their is no copper or iron, so you're stuck to building archers while everyone becomes immensely more advanced than you and eventually destroys you with superior units. Thus I think they should actually have some metal in their core area.

Losing no cities to Rome is an appropriate (and obvious) goal. I also suggest preventing any Greek colonies in the western Mediterranean (Italy to Gibraltar) to reflect their conflicts with the Phoceans; they could then somehow cooperate with Carthage to dominate the coasts. As a third one, something less military would be good, but I don't know much about Etruscan culture...

4. veBear

Just wonder, could one of Carthage's goals be to win the Punic War by taking control of Sicily and Italy (Etruscan area not included)? Would have been quite cool. Also, this would make the player more focused on waging war against Rome, as they historically did.

5. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

We haven't really focused on UHVs at all yet (and I think that's a good thing, given the state of the mod). A Punic War-based goal for Carthage seems like a no-brainer, though.

What is our Etruscan window? How many turns do we expect them to be in the game, and how many turns do they have before the Romans spawn?

6. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

For a Carthage UHV, Maybe a control X wines by Y, then in Italy there will be enough wines for this UHV so a player could try and control Italy or settles around the med for the occasional wine?

7. EMFIE

EMFIE Chieftain

Hello there! I really enjoy RFC and RFCEurope. This is my first post. Just saw the map with the civs regions and i wanna ask you about Thrace?

P.S. sorry for my bad english ;)
    P.P.S. ooops its 4th post lol :D

8. veBear

Just a question, and i know this question don't belong in this thread, but anyway. Rhye, the music you used as Main Menu music on the warlords release of RFC, what's the name of that song? I have been searching for this soneg one and a half year now without succsess.

P.S.
    If you plan to go that way with Menu Music in Rhye's GW to, maybe Alpha or Chariots of Fire, both by Vangelis, could be a nice choice.

9. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

Some version of "Al Nadda" of the Rahbani Brothers. But with some changes.

10. veBear

Not the main warlords theme, but the song used as the theme in the RFC MOD for warlords. That's not the same songs you see.

11. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

I believe it's parts of "shine on you crazy diamond" by pink floyd.

12. Sikandar

Sikandar Prince

To me it doesn't make much sense to include the Babylonians as a civ with a 3000 BC start date given that the Babylonians didn't begin to dominate Mesopotamia until the reign of Hammurabi in the 17th/16th century BC. In my mind it would be more appropriate to have the Sumerians as a starting civ since they had already settled all of Mesopotamia by 3000 BC. But it's your project. I'm just giving my two cents.

13. veBear

Read through the thread and i guess you will understand why the sumerians is not in.

14. Sikandar

Sikandar Prince

I've read through the thread. I don't see a particular explanation for why the Babylonians should be in this scenario instead of the Sumerians. Sumeria predated Egypt. It would make sense to be extant in 3000 BC. Now if you're approaching this from the angle that Babylon extended its reach beyond Mesopotamia and the Sumerians did not, and thus you would prefer a historically expansionist civilization then I can understand that.

15. veBear

I think you do not see my point. The game have only room for up to 18 civs, and two of them will be Independent. This means that there are room for only 16 civs, which means that only the most mayor and important in history ones can be in. If sumeria is to be representated, i think Rhye would consider adding some Independent cities.

16. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

There are already two major Sumerian independents, Larsa and Uruk.

17. veBear

Just an idea for the represententing of the Selecvids and the Ptolemy. At a certain date (preferable around 320 BC) Persias leader will change to Seluceius I Nicator and Egypts leader will change to Ptolemy I Soter. At the same date Greek Polytheism could spreed in some of these civs cities and they could convert to that religion. This way you will have both the Selecvids and the Ptolemy Kingdom without introducing new civs.

18. Sikandar

Sikandar Prince

Considering that the Seleucid Empire and the Ptolemaic Empire both arose out of the Alexandrian conquests I don't think it makes much sense to just have them spontaneously arise into existence. Now perhaps if Macedon conquers Persia and Egypt and then collapses or liberates them as colonies...that would make sense.

19. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Absolutely not! Or does America appear just if England colonizes the Continent? Does the leader change from Peter to Stalin (or Ming to Mao) make sense without a communist revolution? Does giving Egypt a high probability to rise again in the later part of the game makes sense (other than say, Carthage who I do see to rise again way less often)?

I must say that the idea is beautiful and needs to be implemented, because (and that is my gameplay/flavour argument) we would most probably never see such Hellenic kingdoms. But then of course the cities needs to change and so on.

I don't think though Persia should change as it is too far away and kept its cultural distinctivity (Parthians/Sasanids). So the civ changing should rather be Babylon or Phonecia (and Hittites to Pergamon?).

20. Omega124

Omega124 Challenging Fate

I've ben away for this for so log. XD

On a serious note, me leaving probably made all Saxon support die out... Can someone say the current list, not the list on the OP.