1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civs discussion thread

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall of the Greek World' started by Rhye, Aug 26, 2009.

1. The Turk

The Turk Deity

Couldn't agree more, there definetly should be more time alloted to the ancient times, so that the civilizations of ancient greece, phoencia, babylon are able to grow and expand before the big time players come in like Rome, Carthage and Persia.

2. Steb

Steb King

We'll see, for currently the AI expands at random and doesn't have the historical behaviour war/settler maps. Once these are implemented, we'll be able to analyse and improve things like this.

3. fdgsgds

fdgsgds Mustard Enthusiast

Does this mean that Persia won't expand into the Ukraine?

4. Metal Alloy Man

Metal Alloy Man Back in Black

Yes. Also, things like this will be less common when the stability maps are implemented as well.

5. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

I just had an idea: Lower the number of citizens per population point, so that 1 pop isn't 4000 citizens and 2 pop isn't 16000 citizens, etc.
    I know it's just a small thing but I'm guessing it's very easy to change so it shouldn't be too much of a problem to include this in the next version or maybe the one after it.

6. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

Can you figure out where those numbers are?

7. BurnEmDown

BurnEmDown Emperor

Well in the game you can see them if you look at a city screen, they are in the top near the name of the city and the number of population points it has.
    If you mean where they are in the files then I have no idea...

8. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

I have no idea either in the files, so...this is your chance to get your XML on!

9. merijn_v1

merijn_v1 Black Belt

We also discussed this on RFCEurope. Maybe you should look their for more information.

10. Wessel V1

Wessel V1 Emperor

There are some threads to do that in the main Creation and Customization forum. The formula isn't that hard IIRC.

11. Panopticon

Panopticon Utilitarian

It's in CvCity.cpp, in a function called getRealPopulation, around line 5300.

The formula is 1000*FLOOR((POP)^2.8) in Vanilla/RFC Europe and 1000*FLOOR((POP)^3.2) in RFC. It seems that the historical maximum population of any city before 600 AD was 1.2 million, during the Golden Age of Rome. I would recommend that RFGW use 1000*FLOOR((POP)^2.3) as a first approximation of a formula. It gives high values for relatively small cities, though.

12. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

Don't know if the final civ list is decided yet, but i would like to see both Hitties, Phoenicians and Israelis, and i think i got an idea to make the hitties a main enemy of egypt. Making the independent city of Sidon (which in arabic is called Saiba) flip would make the Hitties more focused on what happens to the south (They actually controlled the city for a while). Also a egyptian goal could be to control a territory not so far from Sidon, and by macing their relations bad from the start, war will be present... (Will continue tomorrow)

13. Steb

Steb King

It won't work, for Sidon is in the very heart of the Phoenician lands. I think it's right next to their capital of Gebal, thus it will almost never be founded. And it would not make any historical sense to have it flip.

14. veBear

And here it i's continiued
    Then, when the Phoenicians come's around, maybe a second flip, this time from hitties to phoenicians. It's mostly the same as when babylon make susa flip, and when the persians arrive, they flip to the persians, either by war or by peace (If it would be hard to make two flips for one city, make it so Sidon wont have any culture in the start and convert to hitties early by culture, and then flip to the Phoenicians afterwards).

15. The Turk

The Turk Deity

I think that when the Persians spawn they should flip Babylon, since historically the city of Babylon was taken by Persian forces without a fight, and it was here where Emperor Cyrus created the first deceleration of Human Rights

16. veBear

I personally don't think judea should be represntated, but be independent. Would have been nice to see a third phoenician civ instead. Divede phoenicians into Tyre and Sidon and make Jerusalem Independent. That's my opinion... but then again it would be spare on lands to expand in...

17. Steb

Steb King

Phoenicia is way too small to host two civs. When I did the City names map, I put Gebal (Byblos), Sydwn (Sidon) and Sur (Tyr) right next to each other, so probably only one will be founded in a game. One city is enough to represent Phoenicia... So imagine two civs. Besides, Phoenicia spawns in 3000 BC, at the same time as Egypt and Babylon, and centuries before the Hittites.

Concerning Israel, I agree it could be removed, but that's not likely to happen. It is a popular civ: many people, including myself, want to see it in the game.

I would also like to point out that I'm pretty sure the final civ list is decided.

You can't have the capital flip! It would be horrible for gameplay. With enough skill and effort, every civ should be playable from their spawn until the end (and that's a problem for Etruria...).

18. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

Rhye has mentioned to me how he sees Israel as the mod's One City Challenge civ, and put that way, it makes a lot of sense. I still dunno about Etruria, though.

19. veBear

I think the Etrutians could be replaced by the Vandals. One of their goals could be control Italy, Spain and Carthaginian North Africa by X AD, as they formed to pretty nice empires on these spots.

20. Arkaeyn

Arkaeyn King

There's no shortage of potential replacement civs if something were to get replaced, but Rhye hasn't demonstrated any willingness to do so.