Colonize!

I'll add more cities for the advanced natives; I initially had them but its not very easy to set them in "historical" positions, since I used Firaxis' city lists which don't fit the time period very well (indeed, the first 3-4 Aztec "cities" are essentially just suburbs in Tenochtitlan; most of the Maya cities are long abandoned by this time, leaving only the highland city-states intact).
The Arquebusier is supposed to use the default Civ 3 "Musketman" graphic; thus, I used a seperate "Musket Dude" .ini file trying to get it to redirect to the correct graphic instead of using the Napoleonic Europe scenario's graphic, but for whatever reason it doesn't work. I don't know how else to approach that.
I think I forgot to set Pirate appearance to the second era by putting the pirate unit there with no availability to player civs...If that is indeed how it works. I'll set it up in the next patch and hope it does. I may increase defense values for starting colonial ships across the board, but I'd prefer that any ship with a mast and large hull require timber, to keep things even across the board for if anyone wants to do random or alternate scenarios (IE start the french in cuba or some such) without having to use different sets of rules.
I will also see if I can't put another tribe in the Northeast of SA. I originally had one, but I think I removed them in favor of the Calusa. Not sure who to remove, though.

Gunner said:
I think that will look really cool with using the original Colonization graphics.

I did some testing with the mystery building crash and it seems as if it is specific-building related. I right clicked on all of the building I had built, and only the capitol, servants flops, town square, and stockade didn't crash. I tried each of those at least five times and each time there was no crash. The ones which did cause a crash were the builders hall, chapel, harbor, port, store house, tobbacoist, trade office, trapper's hall, wharf, fortress, and muster field. I did most of them twice and each time they crashed. I really know nothing about the civlopedia, so I can't offer any suggestions about why it may be caused.
I also found this crash to desktop error - In the City View, right clicking onto city improvement icons representing structures which have been built ...

No Effect - Town Square, Capital, Stockade, Builder's Hall
Crash - Chapel, Port, House of Burgesses (Wonder)

I'm at Jan 1588 ... fantastic ... frustration with units not being able to traverse jungle and swamp :mad:

I will edit the above list until told to cease :)

Cheers :goodjob:

In 1622, the evil Lakota took a city, I retook 2 turns later and discovered that the only city improvement missing was the Port. Therefore Cultural expansion was halted until Port rebuilt. What are your thoughts as to why religious buildings don't produce culture?

Gunner already noted the mystery building crash; I am unsure what causes it, and have tried several things with the pedia to get it to stop. I also posted on the front page, but only mrtn answered, which is odd, usually a weird question like that would get set upon.
Gems were added after I did the civilopedia; if you check in CivEdit there are also some other resources that technically "exist" in the mod but which haven't been placed on the map and have no pedia entries.
The inability to cross jungle and marsh is necessary to put some sort of limitation on the Portuguese; even with a second Amazonian civ, they still have the most elbow room. I think I will refurbish the "scenario choice" text to talk about unique placement advantages of the Europeans.
I haven't had a chance to try a Huge or Large map of the New World yet; I'm thinking of just commissioning someone else, since I'm all mapped out for the moment.
Also: Do Treasures of Cibola work properly? I never got them in my later test games, so I wasn't sure.

I'll give your random map a try. Looking forward to a truely New World. One thing that I've noticed is that I have to play at the craftsman level or greater to get any challange from the AI. You might want to bump up the default for AI agression.

Or I can just set the AI to get some extra non-combat units at the start for higher levels. That should give a nice little boost. As for aggression, the AI is already suicidally aggressive in my test games, and almost always eliminates 2-3 native civs before the end of the first era; has it not been attacking other civs in yours?

Hi GRM7584

Had trouble loading the Map - ColonizeRandomM1
Have DL'ed twice and unzipped into ..../Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios/

Then after I've chosen the Civ (in this case New England) the game crashes to desktop ... :sad:

Regards :goodjob:

BTW The map preview shows an american continent with sealane off to NE

Yeah, in each of my games I have been attacked by the AI very early. Its truly a slaughter. :D They also seem to pursue the natives pretty well. Don't complain about the difficulty until you have tried all of the levels to see what you like best.

Oh boy I would love a huge map version, but definitely understand if you are sick of maps.

I saw a Treasure of Cibola once. The Creeks I think had gotten the goody hut and they just had it sitting there forever. I tried to move on to it and capture it, but that only destroyed it. :sad:

Gunner said:
I saw a Treasure of Cibola once. The Creeks I think had gotten the goody hut and they just had it sitting there forever. I tried to move on to it and capture it, but that only destroyed it. :sad:

If this is the unit that looks like 2 men carrying a chest sedan-style with poles ... I saw this with a ship (couldn't land) sitting outside a French city for a number of turns doing nothing ... owned by French ... sighting was very early <20 turns into game. :)

I checked Civilopedia (as usual :crazyeye: ) and noticed that the listing of both Treasure of Cibola and Valuable Export share the same graphics icon ... a ship :confused:

OT-ish Have never heard of a or the Cibola :confused:

would like to try this one, but when i dl and try to unzip i get this in win zip

Extracting Windmill_CEEurope1_small.pcx
Warning: skipping "Colonize\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Buildings\". The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header
Warning: skipping "Colonize\Art\Units\Xbowman\". The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header
Warning: skipping "Colonize\Art\Units\Warrior\". The 32-bit CRC stored in the local header for this file is not the same as the 32-bit CRC stored in the central header

Interrupted

i dl all the time here and have never had a problem like this...any ideas.
thanks king stuart

-Huh. The random map does crash. I'll try and fix it; I think its a custom player issue. For now I'll remove it.
-Ok, the Treasure of Cibola is broken, which probably means that the Valuable Exports is too...and I don't know why...I'll see what I can do to fix it. Has anyone played far enough into the game to get a Valuable Exports unit? (btw both use a ship icon because it was the best one I saw offhand, I wasn't taking my sweet time with unit icons, since I haven't made a units_32.pcx yet.)
-That's odd. Maybe its the zip program you use; see if it works with another one? I don't know that anyone else has had it. I use WinImp, which is free, so try that out if you care to.

New England - Freeman Level

Oh what luck ... Scientific Leader ... and soooooooo early in the game :D

After Jamestown build pioneer ... Sir Walter Raleigh rush built ... :band: House of Burgesses (Wonder)

Unfortunately with right-click in City Screen ... our old friend the CTD error occured again :suicide:

* I did however manage to test terrain movement and know for a fact that Scientific Leader can travel over mountains and marsh, assume that can travel over every terrain.

A luck save allowed me to continue ...

It Continues ...

1 > Strange new Treasure Unit tested in Civilopedia - OK :twitch: (apart from icon as mentioned before :p )

2 > Lets grab it with the Halberdier :clap:

3 > ... Is it worth a War? ... mmmm :mischief: :drool: .... Sure! :ar15:

4 > ... What! ... I said capture! ... Not Destroy! .... :aargh:

Screen Caps Added ... cos it's fun :D and may help ;)

EDIT: I have actually built a city close by and watched the Treasure Unit fidgetting for 5-10 turns in the city's radius. The only movemet occurred when I diplomatically requested the Cherokee's to leave my space. It then fidgetted for another 5+ turns just outside the city radius. Also noticed that both European and other Native tribes didn't seem interested in taking the treasure.

Another Point - I am getting confused telling difference b/w the pioneer and indentured servants Can I suggest that different unit graphics are eventually used ... even better would be a third for native slaves.

I get a desk top crash with the random map as well. Also just noticed English civ traits. Perhaps you would concider making them industrious as opposed to religous, though I can see why you picked it, not all imigrants were fleeing religious persecution like the puritans/pilgrams.

Thanks for the reply Gunner! I would like to see more discussion around civ attributes. When I think of the Portugese I think of Henry the Navigator which might make them scientific. And while the Dutch really only had one major city in New England, they did settle and build lots of farming communities up the Hudson river valley maybe making them agricultural. Just my thoughts.

p.s. has anyone tried the modified map I posted?

@ Davbenbak

I agree ... here is how they are defined in game

C3C Traits - Scientific, Religious, Commercial, Seafaring, Militaristic, Expansionist, Industrious

Major Europeans + Seafaring
Spanish - Militaristic, Expansionist * I would have though a strong Religious.
Dutch - Commercial, Scientific
English - Scientific, Religious * I would have thought Expansionist or Industrious.
French - Commercial, Expansionist * I would have thought Industrious (from original game)
Portugese - Religious, Agricultural

Minor Eurropeans
Danish - Militaristic, Industriuos
Swedish - Scientific, Expansionist

* Just wondering what if the major Europeans didn't require Seafaring. It is sort of a 'given' for the scenario, since they have already arrived at the New World.
Therefore if not required, then a third trait could be assigned to each of the Major Europeans, making them more individualistic?
or give Seafaring to the best sailors - IMO Dutch.

For civ traits: don't go just by what the trait name sounds like, think of the effects. Religious means you get no anarchy times, expansionist means minor natives (read: goody huts) are friendly (and/or profitable), seafaring means that the AI will try to put all its cities on the coast if possible. Religious as a term applies rather well to the English, since every colony north of Jamestown was built by a group of immigrants from a specific religion as a haven for worship in the new world; and a number of these were intended to be 'utopian' religious societies. As to the Spanish? They had Jesuits, certainly, but New Spain did not have any 'religious' societies or sub-societies, and the priority was exclusively on profit, despite what various conquistadores and governors spoke of in terms of their 'divine mission'. Thus, the Spanish get Jesuits, but no religious trait. Portugal, on the other hand, was adamant about converting the natives; mainly because they weren't trying to enslave them, which in turn was because they controlled the african slave trade! Its a bit of a cynical way to look at it, I guess.
I reserved Agricultural for the natives, basically because the Europeans don't need it, as they get twice as many bonus food resources, automatic no-pop-cost settler production, as well as cheap granaries. The exception is Portugal, because they have the most elbow room anyhow; I'll consider changing that.
The French get expansionist and commercial because of their relations with natives, which were a bit nicer than other civs' relations. (I never was entirely sure why they got hardy pioneers in colonization; I guess just to even out their 'weak' bonus. I don't really see a historical reason for having them industrious)
The Spanish get expansionist and military because they profited quite a bit from natives, albeit not in the nearly mutual way that the French did. That is to say in civ terms, when "Cortez" landed in Mexico, he must have picked up a Tlatolec goody hut which gave him a unit of braves to help attack Tenochtitlan! Thus, the Spanish need expansionist to get those sorts of results.
I only gave the "minor" Europeans 2 civ traits (including seafaring) because I wanted them to be somewhat castrated; either as a challenge for a player, or as an easily conquered non-native civ for the other Europeans to fight over.
I'm considering making the first "scout" unit unavailable from the start of the game to make Explorers more useful.
And one last thing: the other benefit of seafaring is that, if you can live with just doing a pure random map, IE with civ3's in-game map generator using ColonizeRules.biq, then it ensures that all Europeans at least end up on the coast.

I want to make sure on this, has anybody had trouble advancing in eras? It seems that some people think that era advancement doesn't work correctly when tech trees are fully civ-specific (and as natives have their own tech tree, that applies to this mod). I would like to use this mod as a case in point if I could, but I don't rightly remember ever playing more than 100 turns, and I know someone mentioned playing past 1700.

Top Bottom