Colonize!

Hey GRM, do you already know about the various buildings and units (not sure about them) that don't have descriptions yet. I will probably put a list together for you. Just tell me if you already have that and that its on you list of things to do.

I played the Dutch until 1744 with only a few techs to go. Crashed due to missing ANIMNAME_PRTO_Artillery I'll got back to an auto save and either change production or just fix the civpedia file myself.

English 1595 just competed Native Contact then I was asked if I wanted to establish embassies.

Invalid Entry in the Civilopedia when I clicked on write and embassies

Regards :goodjob:

EDIT: This tech also allows embassies with other Europeans

EDIT 2: Just noticed a very minor thing, when the city produces a servant or a colonist - the message states "X has produced a servants" and also "X has produced a colonists" :mischief: no biggy :)

Gunner said:
Hey GRM, do you already know about the various buildings and units (not sure about them) that don't have descriptions yet. I will probably put a list together for you. Just tell me if you already have that and that its on you list of things to do.

All units and buildings should at least have front-page text; but almost everything doesn't have a description page. I put "FIXME"'s in throughout the civilopedia.txt file so I can go through and put entries, but that could take time, as I'd like to at least mention some historical basis for stuff.

Bleh! I forgot to check labels.txt for extraneous pedia references. Its not a priority, but it will go on the list of things that need doing.

Gunner said:
Yeah, I meant front page descriptions. Its for like the building which you have absolutely no clue what they do.

Ick, I thought I took care of all of those. Which ones have you noticed don't have one?

Just downloaded your mod, looks great! But I had a crash when I asked Civilopedia for Colonialism govt. Plus, I can't see any arrows in the science advisor window (maybe that's intentional?).
May I suggest changing the name of the Spanish Leader to Hernán Cortés or Francisco Pizarro?

Ok, the buildings I have found are the Major Port, Cathedral of the Sun, Terrace Cathedral, Great horse Games, Vassal's Palace, Grand Confederation, and Discourse on War. Most of them are the native buildings except for the Major Port.

Also, the Culverin requires horses and rubber which is quite strange considering that rubber isn't really ever available and that all of the other artillery both before and after only require metal ore.

Here are a few other things I found.

1. The gold mint does not require gold.
2. The textile mill doesn't say what it does also, but it does have a little saying about 'patron resources and such. Also its in the manufactory tech yet it is a mill, but thats pretty nitpicky.
3. I would suggest that the colonist not require support because you end up getting huge numbers of them sitting around even when you don't want them right then but still would like to save them for later.
4. I seems like the carribean islands have almost no capacity for shield production. Maybe that could be changed somehow. You could do something like give those islands LM terrain tiles which have a shield for them also. I don't think you us LM terrain anywhere else, so it shouldn't present a problem.

And more

5. I think Ports should produce colonists much slower, either 20 or 25 turns. Expansion is just happening way too fast IMO. Its 1640 in my current game and almost all of North America east of the Rockies has been colonized by France, England and me (Netherlands).
6. The Aztecs and Maya have possibly the worst start positions possible. As it is, the Maya cannot build a city in any way, and the Aztecs almost can't and never seem to anyway. They need serious help in the form of both multiple starting cities and more hospitable terrain.
7. Finally, it doesn't work when you retire. There is an error that says this:
Error Reading File
"Scenarios\Colonize\text\Pediaicons.txt":
LHURT_RACE_NewNetherlands

I also tried it once for New England and got the same thing.

New patch up.
I have not yet changed the way ports work; it is certainly a consideration, as I think you are right.
I gave the advanced natives 2 additional settler units each and guards to go with them; the Inca get migrants since I want to keep them west of the Andes, the Aztec and Maya get the advanced settlers.
Jungle terrain now produces 1 food and 1 shield, and I added bonus grassland and some cattle to the caribbean.
The colonist no longer requires support, but the hearty colonist still does.
The Textile Mill represents an advanced (for the time) textile plant, but 'textile mill' is the appropriate term for such a plant. Milling is mainly a reference to wind, water, or slave driven devices used to process some of the resources like coffee or sugar. I have a good picture for milling as an icon, but I haven't 'made' the icon yet, and probably won't include any graphics in any beta patches, up until I release an entirely new version.
Yes, winning or retiring will result in a crash. It can be temporarily fixed, but it would take an hour of repetitive cutting-and-pasting, and I'd have to do it again when I got final LHs, so I currently have no plans on fixing it for the Beta; its very minor, as it just means you won't get to see the victory screen, not that you can't win.
The other things you mentioned are also fixed in the patch, along with most stuff I already said I'd fix in the next patch :)
Also, Eastian: I initially considered this, as a Conquistadore would better fit New Spain's civ traits, but I decided I'd prefer a more civil main leader for them and stick Cortez and Pizarro in as the first two military great leaders. And welcome to CFC!

I just got this error message:

Attachments

• errorc.jpg
    errorc.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 385
I just got the same error as a turn was advancing. I wasn't completing anything once my turn started so I don't know what caused it.

I had the error as well, but that was loading a saved game from previous patch ...

Started another game from scratch ... no error ... so maybe that is the reason :hmm:

Regarding the issue of rate of colonists and servants produced by city improvements ... I too was thinking that they appear too frequently, especially the colonists, servants I can always find work for. :whipped: ;)

Also since you can trade workers in C3C vanilla, would these 'worker' units become a tradable comodity :rolleyes:

Yes, I suggested in a previous post that maybe different civs should have different colonist creating wonders so they could have different and more historic rates of immigration.

My game was brand new, so that wasn't the case for me. I'll keep playing to see what's what. :)

davbenbak said:
Yes, I suggested in a previous post that maybe different civs should have different colonist creating wonders so they could have different and more historic rates of immigration.

I was thinking the same thing when I read your original 'previous' post ;)

I wonder if the European capitals could be brought back and that these cities could produce the initial colonists and servants. Then these (+ maybe additional military units) could be transported to the new world ... the map with the sealane routes could be utilized :)

@ GRM7584 - IIRC you thought this could be an option early in the thread...

Anyway started playing England again using new patch and no problems yet.

EDIT: The game crashed with the above mentioned error :mad: I had just picked my second colony to build Town Square.

@ Grohan - Those city boarders look weird ... mine are the standard dotted line, have you modified the mod :p

I re-uploaded patch 2 with the worker problem (theoretically) fixed, so the 19 people who downloaded it will have to waste 3 seconds redownloading 200 kb :p
There's no way I'm bringing back European capitals, as it would screw the whole game up; independence would make no sense, corruption would have to be nerfed, and I'd have to remove the English unique infantry, amongst other things. Its just too much for the small pleasure of being able to 'land' your colonists.

I will either slow down colonist production, use small wonders, or revamp the port tree. Feel free to vote on which you feel is best.
-Slowing down colonist production by 4-6 turns.
-Use a unique small wonder for each of the 5 major europeans.
-Change the port upgrade tree: move harbor into a seperate category, which produces the colonists and becomes OBSOLETE at the end of the first era, reduce port cost and remove the produce colonist flags, and have the major port small wonder on its own unique path. This is what I'd prefer to do, and what I'll probably do anyway. (mainly because it would work well and doesn't require me to remove or add any buildings, which I'm EXTREMELY wary of doing; civ3edit likes to completely screw the .biq file up from time to time when you add or remove improvements after telling them all where the graphics are.)

Also, this mod doesn't have unique borders, so what you see in Grohan's SN is whatever borders he has set as default for C3C.

Top Bottom