Colonize!

I think you could create a unique resource, (England, France, Dutch, Portugese, Spain, Meso, Native) and place it in each capital. Some buildings would require that the resource be within the city radius (such as a colonist producer or a foundry to produce cannon to simulate that such things would have to be imported from the old world. Some units would only need to have the resource available in order to produce civ unique units or buildings.

I also had the problem of too many colonist. For some reason you are unable to disband them to they tend to create a drain on your economy. Eventually I was forced to send them out to be captured and then recaptured as natives (when they weren't destroyed) in order to disband them for some production points.

Repatched and still received the same error and exit. This was on a brand new game btw.

Beta.2 v2

Unfortunately the game still CTD with the 'worker modern capture error', it occured when research into Immigration completes. :sad:

Also still get the CTD in the City View, (right clicking onto city improvement icons representing structures which have been built )...
>No Effect - Capital,
>Crash - Port,

If you already are aware of this please ignore ... :hmm: actually could I suggest that on the front page of this thread you could list the Known Errors with the latest patch ... this would stop over eager posters like myself from giving you the cringe factor :cringe: when constantly stating known errors.

I loved the subtle change with the option of establishing a consulate with the other civilizations. :thumbsup:

Regarding the colonist/servant frequency ... I'm still thinking but like your solution ... only thing I wish would be the opportunity of trading these servants with other civs (ie. slave trade) ;) , I'm assuming captured workers become servants.

Also tested maps
>ColonizeRandomM1.biq = CTD after u pick a civ :sad:
I also tried to generate a random map using ColonizeRules.biq and ended up with only a servant and treasue unit - level was Freeman (and settings from memory continent 70%, normal)

Keep up the Brilliance :goodjob:

thx GRM7584 for this really nico-looking Mod

I instantly tried it after DLing, it seems great, but... it crashes...

so now its time for ALL uf us to help you debugging, so we all can play the mod properly! (hope this encourages you to keep up the good work)

so... the Modern worker crash: comes when the game checks for all the files of the worker, and also looks for ModernWorkerCapture.wav

-> the game hasn´t this file, (maybe only conquest lacks it, i´m not sure) , because it has only ModernWorkerCaptureFoot1.wav ...CaptureFoot2.wav and two more, look in the CivilizationIII/Art/Units/WORKER MODERN TIMES/ folder for it, and my suggestion for all people who want to play immediatly, not wanting to wait for another patch: copy one of these files and rename it to:

ModernWorkerCapture.wav
...... (you won´t hear the difference ;) )

(I actually copied the complete ModernWorker-folder to the scenario/Colonize/art/units/ folder, but it should work without)

greetings

Alright, one more time for good measure, eh? New patched patch.
I tested the worker in-game; its not the modern one, but it seems to work, and thats what matters.
Colonists are now generated by a Docks improvement; the original Port costs significantly less. The Docks improvement becomes obsolete at the end of the first era, when colonists can be built normally. Depending on how fast civs are reported to expand, I may increase the cost or leave it as it is.
Several new Pedia entries exist, notably some brief ones for Techs which give special abilities.
Edit: To play a 'random' map with ColonizeRules, go into civedit and change the 'starting unit 1' in the general settings tab to a colonist. You'll just have to deal with the inconsistency of finding a unit of colonists in a goody hut that says you've found a Golden City of Cibola.

I'm not too familiar with Modding so I won't be much help debugging. I did find this error since patching again and tried to track down the source. This was from clicking on a description of the Trapper's Hall:

"art\civilopedia\icons\resources\fursmall.pcx" Game will now exit.

I'm assuming that since the Colonize folder has no resource folder in the icon folder that it defaults to the main Conquests folder. If so there are a large and small fur icon, but nothing that says fursmall.pcx. Doubtful this is much help, however.

Keep up the good work. The game is wonderful.

That will be fixed in the next patch. If you want to be able to look at the entry for furs in the civilopedia until then, open up conquests/scenarios/colonize/text/pediaicons.txt, find the line which begins as #GOOD_Furs and put an "s" in each of the two entries below it so they look like this:
Furslarge.pcx
Furssmall.pcx

Easy enough, thanks.

Next up....where in the files do you tell the AI what to build? It's 1593 in my game as the French and I have five colonies with three colonists in transport. The trouble is that the English and Dutch each only have their two starting colonies. I'm wondering if they're having problems building the port/dock combo to get colonists.

Manual Fix
conquests/scenarios/colonize/text/pediaicons.txt,
#ICON_GOOD_Furs
art\civilopedia\icon\resources\furlarge.pcx to \furslarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icon\resources\fursmall.pcx to \furssmall.pcx

Treasure of Cibola
Halberdier found Iriquois treasue unit, took it :) and then ... can't move :sad:
Also check spelling of Iroquois in text files :p
Edit: Checked the unit in editor and it is marked as immobile

Native Resource
A goody hut gave me native resource ... default forest is (1xfood + 2xshield) ... native forest is (3xshield). Just checking that native resource give 1 shield but take 1 food.

Cheers :goodjob:

I went into the Civ3QEdit and added growth, production, and trade for "build often" for the 7 major Euro nations. That seemed to help since England in 1597 actually had built Roanoke! The Dutch are screwed though since Amsterdam got destroyed and they built Fort Orange inland...:D

The native tribes seem to be expanding quite nicely and holding their own. The Cherokee took Plymouth while the Iroquois have put new towns in prime locations.

fe3333au said:
Manual Fix
conquests/scenarios/colonize/text/pediaicons.txt,
#ICON_GOOD_Furs
art\civilopedia\icon\resources\furlarge.pcx to \furslarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icon\resources\fursmall.pcx to \furssmall.pcx

Treasure of Cibola
Halberdier found Iriquois treasue unit, took it :) and then ... can't move :sad:
Also check spelling of Iroquois in text files :p
Edit: Checked the unit in editor and it is marked as immobile

Native Resource
A goody hut gave me native resource ... default forest is (1xfood + 2xshield) ... native forest is (3xshield). Just checking that native resource give 1 shield but take 1 food.

The Manual Fix: woodelf brought it up and I mentioned the method of repair, since its so minor it doesn't warrant a new patch.
Treasure: Treasure units have the immobile flag, you must pick it up with a foot unit to move it.
Native Resource: Intended. Natives have to eat too, ya know :)

Also: I messed with the build often flags to mixed successes. I'm not exactly sure which ones mean what, or if they have any significance to the computer in a mod (besides 'unit' build often flags).
Edit: by "not exactly sure" I mean that common sense would indicate that a build often flag for production would make the computer build something which increases shield production, like a factory. What I'm not sure about is whether the developers operated by the same common sense that I do.

Is it possible that the AI is going to Conquest tech too soon and missing out on Immigration? They always have cavalry units while I'm building docks which puts them at a distinct disadvantage if I survive their initial onslaught. Maybe make it so Conquest is necessary for Land Grants or another tech so the human player has to research that before getting colonists? Not sure.

I'll keep starting games and see how each major civ does in the first 100 years or so.

I'm not sure what it's called, but it's the 3rd from the highest.

Maybe I should set the aggression down a notch so they can be builders and not fighters... :)

Lowering the aggression across the board may be a good idea, actually; I may move another unit away from conquest, as well, to dissuade the AI from going straight for it.

New England - Freeman level.

Have put off researching Native Contact due to other priorities ;) However in the Year of our Lord 1616 discovered this tech and placed consulates in all known civs ... report follows ---

Only met 2 other Europeans so far ...
>New France - no information, as consulate established 5ish turns ago by French.
>New Netherlands - only 1 city improvement, however due to the Dutch/French War Fort Orange is a relatively new capital. :)

Natives (All have only the Capital, No city improvements)
>Apache, Lakota, Huron, Cherokee, Shawnee, IroqOUis, Aztec, Maya

BTW- Thanks for explaining how the Treasure unit works ... now I just have to find one and see the result when brought back to capital. :D

Keep up the Brilliance :goodjob:

d'oh! Didn't realize I mispelled Iroquois.
Are you sure there aren't any other cities? You have to find their cities on the map before you can send any espionage missions to them, if thats what you mean. As for improvements, I don't know how likely it is that the AI as a native will build them; which is actually just fine. I included a native tech tree, wonders, improvements and the like for the sole purpose of making the natives a viable option for the player, even if not 'as' fun as the Europeans. Once people start trying out native civs and reporting on the difficulty level, that can be changed up a bit.

Top Bottom