1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Comfort Zone & Paycheques

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Sashie VII, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Zefyrinus

Zefyrinus Regent

I don't have any comfort civs. I've never thought that the differences between the civs are that big. But my favourite civs are Japan, China, Aztecs and Maya.

2. CommandoBob

CommandoBob AbstractArt

I'm not sure if it is my comfort civ, but the first games I played in CivIII (PTW) I played as Rome.

And I got tired of Carthage and Egypt being pesky neighbors, so Culturally-Linked Starts went to NO real quick.

3. Taras Bulba

Taras Bulba gone

I've found the Maya always work nicely... but Civs I like that I'll usually come back to: Russia, Ottomans, Germany, Greece

4. ecuwins

ecuwins Emperor

Those Numidian Mercenaries are a godsend when you turn up no strategic resources. Among Seafaring civs, the only thing resembling a Knight UU is the Conquistador(3/2/2 at Astronomy :cringe:). Strange indeed.

5. Ansar

Ansar Détente avec l'été

Carthage or Netherlands.

6. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

I'm pretty comfortable with any of the Seafaring civs. Byzantines, though, probably most of all (despite what my name and avatar might lead you to believe).

7. darski

darski Regent in Training

:eek::eek::eek:

You have to be the first person here who has said that Ports are a fave. I am developing a male memory syndrome just so that I can remove them from the list when I play *all* the Civs at Regent. I just love this about Civ. There is no Civ so bad that someone doesn't love it. :crazyeye:

8. Son_Of_Dido

Son_Of_Dido Prince

While I wouldn't put them as my favorite, I do use Portugal fairly regularly and probably have them higher on my personal list than most players.

They're an odd civ to play, and their traits force me away from some certain wonders I otherwise try to snag as they will trigger a way too early GA, but I have had some BIZARRELY good luck with them. 2 AA SGLs while working my way up towards republic, for instance. Or back to back MGL spawns from the only two elite units (MDI's) I had at the time. Not an advantage you can count on having, of course, but positive associations like that will have you giving anyone further opportunities.

Alphabet + Fast Curraghs + Scouts means they always have a shot at early contacts and being the leading tech broker, though they kinda HAVE to be. And while the Carrack sounds great on paper (2.2.4[5 for seafaring] Caravel replacement, DOESN'T sink in ocean tiles) it really isn't as much an advantage as it sounds like it should be, due to the caravel's short time on the stage.

I wouldn't list them as a strong civ in terms of the classic 3 tiers, but they are a fun civ.

9. NickyH

NickyH Bismarck with lipstick…

After playing mainly 20K games for a long time, I'm almost starting to believe that I amOttoman. For other games it's much harder to choose, but Romans, Greeks and Iroquois are all pretty good.

10. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

Babylon and Ottomans for teh win! Bowmen are basically offensive spearmen and a good all-around unit, and Sipahi's rule the Late MA and early IA, up till Infantry and even then they're still the best offensive units around. Scientific is in both of them, and I also like religious (sue me!) and industrious.

11. Xethorsiph

Xethorsiph Chieftain

Ottomans or Iroqouis. My best (and most enjoyable) wars are fought in the age of cavalry, so having Sipahi make it so much sweeter.

Do the Iroqouis even need an explanaition.

12. CarthageFTW

CarthageFTW Chieftain

Besides the obvious though, I have to say I LOVE the spanish. Although I've seen many people rag on them for their lack of a useful UU and their traits not being very useful on many maps, I find them almost, ALMOST better than Carthage with Archpeligo maps. The seafaring trait is self-explainotry, and religious allows you to change govs quickly if reb or demo is on edge of collapse. Also, this allows you to expand quickly over islands, by rushing out a temple. Their UU I find VERY useful for wars in the medival times if you beeline for it, as most civs don't have access to saltpeter because it's either on anothe island, or they have no access at all, allowing the Conquistador to cause some signifcant damage and lauch you into a GA, hopefully around the time of building some medieval wonders.

13. Turner

Turner Deity Retired Moderator

I've played the Spanish a couple of times. Did okay with them.

In fact, the first time I played them was the first time I broke 50k gold. Not a lot, but for me at the time it was.

14. mr_lewington

mr_lewington King

England of course:king:

15. Hasdrubal Barca

Hasdrubal Barca Emperor

Carthage, because num mercs plus industrial fits with my style of play.

16. Exwing17

Exwing17 Warlord

I keep using England! Even though its a lady, and their UU isn't game-changing, i still love them! :)

But, Ottomans/Mayans are equally badass.

Usually I just click random!

17. del62

del62 Deity

i cant really say what my comfort civ, i have played a few different ones recently, though there are some i havenot touched, i think the chinese are the only military civ i have played

18. Argetnyx

Argetnyx Emperor

my comfort civs are Germany and Rome

19. hsy

hsy Chieftain

persia, germany, ottoman :)ar15:)