Communitu_79

tu_79

Deity
Hi,

I've slightly modified Communitas mapscript since the last script provided in Vox Populi mod was very criticised.

My goal is to make Communitas fun to play with VP mechanics in mind, with every location valuable in its own way whilst remaining believable.

EDIT. Link to the latest release (recommended):

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/communitu_79.648648/page-15#post-15816260
Release 1.17

We proudly announce that as of August 2020 Communitu_79a is delivered within Vox Populi full mod. The version offered above is intended for non VP installations.
For VP, this is the last version:
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/communitu_79.648648/page-24#post-16044000
Release 2.2

EDIT. Complete major changes for version 1.17

1.- Removed the polar canals. This was a guaranteed passage both on North and South poles, now land tiles may block it.
2.- Added a forced canal. If you want a guaranteed circumnavegable passage, there's one, but you won't know its location (somewhere around the tropics). I did my best to try to conceal this passage into natural forms, so people don't see an artificial canal.
3.- Modified the shape of the oceans. Before it was a sinusoidal wave, now it's a rather random line that cross vertically following the lowest path. Pacific ocean is wide in the equator, Atlantic ocean is wide in the poles.
4.- Added new logic for forest generation. Now, having some forest around might trigger more forest to spawn (before it depended just on the humidity of the tile, so forest followed river lines).
5.- Reworked the requisites for each climate. Cold deserts now exist, although the picture is the same. Tundra tiles are more common and have more forests. Jungles appear when the humidity and heat are right, instead of just spawning between latitudes. Islands have more atolls in the temperate latitudes.
6.- More ice and snow allowed. It is still sparse, though. Ice logic at sea was changed so tiny islands near the poles can be accessed.
7.- Increased the lenght of rivers and mountain chains. Increased the occurrence of isthmus.
8.- Changed resource distribution. Especially increased fish resources where fertility is low, deer on tundras and mineable resources in deserts (these changes make any territory playable in its own way). Allowed some horses in flooding plains (as its Civilopedia description). The total number of land tiles filled with resources should be less than what is seen in old Communitas. Strategics were severely reduced and unevenly distributed, to force a more strategic approach, still working on it since now they seem to be too unevenly distributed.
9.- Added lots of ingame options so every player can tweak the map to his likings. Even then, if some option falls short, you might access the lua file and easily change one or two values to your preferred option.

Complete changelog for version 1.06
- Fixed wheat and forests spawning in deserts.
- Fixed resources spawning so they happen where Civilopedia says.
- Reduced the overall frequency of resources, so there's more room for farms and villages. Increased for bison and fish.
- Reduced the frequency of strategic resources, so there's need for trading.
- Increased late game strategics and bonus resources on harsh terrain and islands.
- Added resources to snow.
- Wider Atlantic ocean rifts.
- Mid Atlantic islands less frequent.
- Greatly reduced island occurrence.
- Forests and jungles increase the chance to spawn an adjacent feature.
- Fewer but longer rivers.
- Fixed land percentage, rifts no longer influence final land percentage.
- Changed atoll logic. Had to replace it because it was a part of the tiny islands I just removed.
- Experimental: Removed tundra restriction on latitudes. Now only temperature and humidity affects the terrain. Winds can make warm arctics and cool tropics. (More testing is needed for proper and even distribution).

EDIT. Install instructions.
Download the zip file. Extract it to this folder:
User/Documents/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Maps

Attachments

• Communitu_79 - 1.06.zip
    68.4 KB · Views: 654
Last edited:
Some pics.

Communitu_79 - 01.jpg

I'm not sure I like the strategic resource distribution for iron/horses (at least) you have. Seems like they're a lot more centralized to one area. I had a large swath of land with no strategic resource. I had one source of coal, when I was seated at the north pole (as Russia). Made a big part of the UA and UB redundant, and needing to trade for horses hurts my UU too. I also had one civ get a global monopoly on them about 120 turns in.

I'm not sure I like the strategic resource distribution for iron/horses (at least) you have. Seems like they're a lot more centralized to one area. I had a large swath of land with no strategic resource. I had one source of coal, when I was seated at the north pole (as Russia). Made a big part of the UA and UB redundant, and needing to trade for horses hurts my UU too. I also had one civ get a global monopoly on them about 120 turns in.
There's a strategic resource option for these cases. It places a few strategics around each capital. Have you tried?

That's why I'm all for distributing early strategics more evenly like Communitas, but keep later strategics rarer and in large amounts.

That's why I'm all for distributing early strategics more evenly like Communitas, but keep later strategics rarer and in large amounts.
Ok, basically horses. Iron is a reward for harder starting locations.

I may make smaller horse packs (4 horses per pack, instead of 6) and have 50% more tiles with horses. But beware, horses only spawn on grassland and plains without features.
This, I don't mind to change for next release.

If you want to find always a small pack near the capital, as strategic distribution does, that would affect the order of your research, since you will always start with breeding.
I don't think this is a good idea, to have strategic distribution in normal abundance.

I may make smaller horse packs (4 horses per pack, instead of 6) and have 50% more tiles with horses.

Or just lower the horses period. Don’t know if I’m in the minority, but in most maps I think strategics are too common. Normally between iron and horses I can field a huge portion of my army

Or just lower the horses period. Don’t know if I’m in the minority, but in most maps I think strategics are too common. Normally between iron and horses I can field a huge portion of my army
I like it scarce too, but there's an option for choosing scarce resources. Right now there's this:
Code:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
function AssignStartingPlots:GetMajorStrategicResourceQuantityValues()
    -- This function determines quantity per tile for each strategic resource's major deposit size.
    -- Note: scripts that cannot place Oil in the sea need to increase amounts on land to compensate.
    print("AssignStartingPlots:GetMajorStrategicResourceQuantityValues()")
    local uran_amt, horse_amt, oil_amt, iron_amt, coal_amt, alum_amt = 6, 4, 6, 6, 6, 6;
    -- Check the resource setting.
    if self.resource_setting == 1 then -- Sparse
        uran_amt, horse_amt, oil_amt, iron_amt, coal_amt, alum_amt = 2, 3, 3, 3, 4, 3;
    elseif self.resource_setting == 3 then -- Abundant
        uran_amt, horse_amt, oil_amt, iron_amt, coal_amt, alum_amt = 8, 6, 10, 10, 10, 10;
    end
    return uran_amt, horse_amt, oil_amt, iron_amt, coal_amt, alum_amt
end
function AssignStartingPlots:GetSmallStrategicResourceQuantityValues()
    print("AssignStartingPlots:GetSmallStrategicResourceQuantityValues()")
    -- This function determines quantity per tile for each strategic resource's small deposit size.
    local uran_amt, horse_amt, oil_amt, iron_amt, coal_amt, alum_amt = 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2;
    -- Check the resource setting.
    if self.resource_setting == 1 then -- Sparse
        uran_amt, horse_amt, oil_amt, iron_amt, coal_amt, alum_amt = 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1;
    elseif self.resource_setting == 3 then -- Abundant
        uran_amt, horse_amt, oil_amt, iron_amt, coal_amt, alum_amt = 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2;
    end
    return uran_amt, horse_amt, oil_amt, iron_amt, coal_amt, alum_amt
end

And this:
Code:
    -- Adjust appearance rate per Resource Setting chosen by user.
    local resMultiplier = 1;
    if self.resource_setting == 1 then -- Sparse, so increase the number of tiles per bonus.
        resMultiplier = 1.5;
    elseif self.resource_setting == 3 then -- Abundant, so reduce the number of tiles per bonus.
        resMultiplier = 0.66666667;
    end

Usually, it's major resource what gets placed, unless especifically ordered to use small.

So it's either 2 or 4 horses in standard settings and no 3 horses, if I understand correctly? If so, is it possible to have a range of possible values instead of only small and major?

On my fourth game with this map. Twice I drew a continent with six civs. This time I have seven. The fourth time it was two. That no longer seems like a random sampling. Have others noticed the lack of more 4/4 or 4/x/x starts?

It's time for a new game for me later today, and I'm down to try a new map. Been on Tectonics for ages. Any specific settings or anything y'all would like me to stress test, or recommendations for me?

EDIT: Also, is there anything that be done to weight civ placement so that they have a significantly higher chance of getting needed strategics? Obviously terrain bias is the easiest lever, but I'm wondering if anything lets you be even more fine grained than that.

Nothing feels worse than whiffing on Horses with someone like Genghis, or iron with a Swordy UU.

It's time for a new game for me later today, and I'm down to try a new map. Been on Tectonics for ages. Any specific settings or anything y'all would like me to stress test, or recommendations for me?

EDIT: Also, is there anything that be done to weight civ placement so that they have a significantly higher chance of getting needed strategics? Obviously terrain bias is the easiest lever, but I'm wondering if anything lets you be even more fine grained than that.

Nothing feels worse than whiffing on Horses with someone like Genghis, or iron with a Swordy UU.

The standard option for choosing a balanced start works here as well.

On my fourth game with this map. Twice I drew a continent with six civs. This time I have seven. The fourth time it was two. That no longer seems like a random sampling. Have others noticed the lack of more 4/4 or 4/x/x starts?
Will look. I didn't touch at settlers placement, but know where the code is, so maybe something can be done. I suppose that it tries to place the Settler in its favored location, starting with the biggest continent, and once that continent is crowded, goes to the next continent. Maybe making a more demanding definition of crowded will help. I'm noticing that I start too close to other civs too. There was even an extreme case reported in reddit where three capitals were next to each other. Base Communitas map. Consider that another bug. Or could it be that the land available is too little? I've set it up to 30% land so oceans look like oceans. How many land tiles are usually there for every player? I may increase also the available land percent, to account for the zooming that leaves most ice out of the map.

I'm still puzzled about strategics. There are some instances with more quantity than the defined one. May try a few things, but it's blind guessing.

So far I've been experimenting with terrain generation. It was forced to turn into some specific terrain depending on latitude, and it seemed cheap to me. Removing the forcing, wildly changes outcomes from map to map. One map looks like a cool earth, the next like a hot earth, with the same settings.

Will look. I didn't touch at settlers placement, but know where the code is, so maybe something can be done. I suppose that it tries to place the Settler in its favored location, starting with the biggest continent, and once that continent is crowded, goes to the next continent. Maybe making a more demanding definition of crowded will help. I'm noticing that I start too close to other civs too. There was even an extreme case reported in reddit where three capitals were next to each other. Base Communitas map. Consider that another bug. Or could it be that the land available is too little? I've set it up to 30% land so oceans look like oceans. How many land tiles are usually there for every player? I may increase also the available land percent, to account for the zooming that leaves most ice out of the map.

I'm still puzzled about strategics. There are some instances with more quantity than the defined one. May try a few things, but it's blind guessing.

So far I've been experimenting with terrain generation. It was forced to turn into some specific terrain depending on latitude, and it seemed cheap to me. Removing the forcing, wildly changes outcomes from map to map. One map looks like a cool earth, the next like a hot earth, with the same settings.

Thanks for checking the settler issue. As someone who has played a LOT of games with the original Communitas map (not the recently adapted one), I can vouch that capitals weren't problematically close often at all, and where you settled also seemed "normal."

Strategics seem about right to me, in that I have yet to play a game where I have everything handed to me. If anything, it's been a bit shy (but not to the point where I think it's off). If the total basically matches Continents and Pangaea, and is distributed in two sizes, I wouldn't touch it.

I've found the issue with resources. They were added a random factor out of nowhere. I stopped that and now I see horses distributed more evenly.

I'm also increasing the land percentage, maybe that'll fix the issue with starting capitals.

Excellent! To give you an idea of how into your map development, I'll drop my current game to start a new one as soon as the new map is ready.

New release! Communitu_79 1.07.

Changelog:

- Removed random added values to strategic resources.
- Wider distribution for horses. Semi-wider for iron. Overall, strategics are scarce.
- Decreased 'fertility' when a civ has already spawn in a landmass, making it less probable to start isolated in one continent with just another player.
- Increased land percentage to 40% (think that the map is zoomed, this is better than increasing map size).
- Decreased mountain scatter. Now mountain regions are less blocky.
- Increased blending. Now regions with the same biome are bigger.
- Reworked biome definitions. New logic is as follows:
- For temperatures under snow level, it's tundra if it rains too little, snow otherwise.
- For temperatures up to tundra level, it's tundra when it doesn't rain, plains if it rains, grassland if it rains a lot.
- For temperatures up to jungle level, it's desert when it doesn't rain, pains if it rains, grassland if it rains a lot.
- For temperatures up to desert level, it's only grass if it rains a lot, desert otherwise.
- For temperatures over desert level, it's always a desert.​
- Cold deserts can't have oasis.
- Tweaked temperature and rain values accordingly.

To do:
- Still haven't figured out how to clear the canals at the poles. I was busy working on your wishes ;)

Attachments

• Communitu_79 - 1.07.zip
    71.1 KB · Views: 191
Six civs on my continent so far...

EDIT: Seven.

EDIT: And the eighth is on a land mass a brief trip across shallow water away.

EDIT: On the other hand, the map has one-tile canals allowing you to sail around BOTH poles.

Last edited:
Six civs on my continent so far...

EDIT: Seven.

EDIT: And the eighth is on a land mass a brief trip across shallow water away.

EDIT: On the other hand, the map has one-tile canals allowing you to sail around BOTH poles.
The script does a few smart things, but it is hard to tweak, about civs placement.

It first looks at how many land masses it needs to place every player over a suitable start. Then, it distributes the settlers upon the fertility remaining in each land mass. Left on its own, each settler had roughly the same area as the others, which ended up with one or two civs starting together in an isolated small continent.

It looks like you had a huge continent in your game, able to host all players. This should be rare. (Or I didn't understand properly how it works).

Top Bottom