Community Deity Game #1 - Persia

t241 - +88 happy :)
Spoiler :
I managed to un-confuse myself! Gave up on attacking Egypt, stayed on the lower part of the tech tree, and got Arty. Started heading for Flight, but my one coastal city SE of Rio has such crappy production that even with a GE I knew it would be easy to not get it (I figured I might be able to capture it from Cathy or Egypt), so I went RR for Neuschwanstein (ahhhhh). Then backed way up and got Industrialism, then backed waaaaay up and headed for Biology before Flight. Got Rep Parts, and 10 turns to Plastics. Just finished Prora.

My tech priorities screwed me on an Ideology, so I was third to Autocracy after Cathy and Egypt (who had the most pressure at the time). Morocco went Freedom, Iroq and Gandhi went Order. I was surprised at how everybody but Gandhi and Monte has been glad-handing me all game after I liberated Pedro, and especially after I liberated an Egyptian city that Cathy took in a peace deal. I've left Monte alive, which may have been a mistake, as I've needed to protect some weak cities I sold to Pedro and Morocco.

Conquest - took on Cathy with the GW and better units once I got Arty (13 seemed enough). Such a slow slog up the E side of her empire with all the hills, had to citadel several times, and had to keep cities to continue... They were well-developed, and I ended up with 4 Manufactories. How she made 5 I will never know... Great wonders in Moscow (t207), inc Chichen, HG, Machu, and Red Fort. I tried to eliminate her, but she somehow got an island and with her size 3 city was getting 85 gpt. :lol: I've razed 16 of her cities.

I hated to do it, but turned on Iroq, who had almost no units as he had been fighting Mor for a while. He might get eliminated. Onondaga fell t240 (NotreD and Pyramids) and I now have some Range+Log Arty. I'm taking some cities adjoining Gandhi now, he may be tough as he has Infantry and Alt Training. I am sadly still 4th in tech - I never, ever delay Sci Theory as long as I have this game.

My DoF with Egypt and Mor both end in about 16 turns - I want to keep pushing E but I'm afraid I'm no match for Mor yet - would like to be to Rocketry first. Egypt should be a cakewalk.
Spoiler :

Doing D requires a bit of luck on allying military CS, and that they give you melee units so that you can capture with them. Once you have a few melee units, you can surround cities so that other AI can't capture. Pretty sure that's how he wanted it done.

I went full Marbozir on this map :lol:

Spoiler :

It's insane how broken the Nukes can get. I lost count on how many I dropped, for sure over 20. I made a beeline towards Flight so I can get a head start on aerial supremacy. Took out Monty used WW1 stuff, my path was pretty much all Infantry and Bombers. It would not have been possible if not for the Persian UA, the combat strength was eh but the extra movement is a godsend. It basically meant all Infantry are mini Tanks since they can all cap from afar.

Once I hit Atomic Theory and Radar, man, the game just became vicious. Egypt was the first to go and since I took out India who was the culture runaway, I had to deal with Egypt who were the culture powerhouse, they MAY win the CV. Several nukes later and a lot bombardments, they were reduced to ruins but still had the largest military due to presence of carriers and whatnots.

I then made a mistake of not seeing a nuke coming my way, yeah I got nuked myself :lol: so I had to double down on repairs (nuke damaged my source of uranium, derp) and I went after Russia and Morocco at the same time. Having pretty much all city states allied at that point meant Moroccan units would just bounce off the city state walls and I would use rockets and bombs to whittle down his core. Meanwhile on the western front whatever Russia had became fallout, I used nukes relentlessly trying to keep that war as short as possible, and just plow through their lands and towards Iroquois, who got annihilated by Morocco in the meantime. Left undefended (and nuked twice for good measure), I captured Onondaga in 2 turns.

Since I was influenced by Order, I picked Order myself and I'm definitely not amused by its potential in late game domination, however I picked a really cool perk the Patriotic War, giving +15% in home territory, since I would cap first and hold off second, I went with that plan and it was alright. Iron Curtain is absolutely crap, when you capture a 30+ pop city and you reduce it to 15, it's 15 turns of dead weight with Iron Curtain just doing a patch job of remedying happiness issues, which I had none what so ever, only started to drop below +50 towards the very end because I was starting to get tired. A much MUCH MUCH better implementation would be if it reduced the city revolt time by x%, kind of like what cultural influence does but I've never ever seen it in action.

Achievements:

A - nope, I only had 6 of them when I hit CS

B - I'm lazily going to say yes to this, to be honest I lost count but there were quite a few crap cities I got in peace deals that I burned because I didn't need.

C - just short, I think I would have been at 95-ish once my current one ended. My mistake though since I don't know if the counter keeps ticking WHILE you're in a GA and how the threshold increments. A graph in the endgame screen shows exactly how it works, I had 3 spikes of 15, one of 36 (burned 3 artists) captured Chichen Itza in the meantime which made the last Artist worth 16 turns. I wanted to use LToP for an Engi and then burn him on Taj but Egypt did that 2 turns before me, so I burned the Engi on Big Ben and then a faith buy was used on Disney Castle. My production was so good, I cranked out the Kremlin in 7 turns.

D - definitely, I only used airplanes, infantry and arty, later on switching to tanks and paratroops

E - 3113 on the screenshot, so yes :)

Attachments

• cdg1.jpg
    cdg1.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 121
I went full Marbozir on this map
Very nice! An aspiration to myself to keep trying!

Well I staged a really interesting thing in one game...
I have pulled off a similar thing a few times. It does not really seem like something one can really force though.

Once you have a few melee units, you can surround cities so that other AI can't capture. Pretty sure that's how he wanted it done.
What does that have to do with D?

Also, while I appreciate that the achievements feed into the challenge of an SV, is anyone feeling the connection to Assyria in particular?

You must wait for an opportunity tbqh. For example, in this game, I could have also been a liberator, I could
Spoiler :

stage the elimination of Brazil since they were on brink of extinction many times, and Hiya was eliminated already

and then liberate both. But in doing that, I might have gotten an accidental diplo win :lol:

also the nukes in my opinion eliminate any need for carpets of units. Since lugging around endless numbers of tanks, infantries and arty is bloody arduous I went overkill. Since planes took 3-4 turns, tanks 2-3 and nukes at most 6, there wasn't any need for conventionality. Also, since conquest is going fast, your gpt will drop like an anvil so you should sell out buildings in cities you raze. That will provide you with more money for more nukes (Mercantilism and Big Ben yay)

The only downside is that the land is now poisoned beyond repair and in achieving my grand ambition, I made the Great Mistake :)

I would like to note that C is a high bar:

C - just short, I think I would have been at 95-ish once my current one ended. My mistake though since I don't know if the counter keeps ticking WHILE you're in a GA and how the threshold increments.

Without Chichen Itza, you need 8 GA. For example, three natural and four Great Artist burns would be 3x15 + 4x12 or 93 turns of GA. It is pretty tough. I am trying again, saving the Liberty closer (2xGA) for after a natural Golden Age.

I missed out on Taj, that was the deal breaker, I would have cleared 100 easily with it

I finally got a chance to play this, and made it through turn 100 so far. I have built 0 ranged units, receiving only a comp bow as a gift from Almaty. I stole workers from Ramses and Pedro, took left liberty and built 5 cities and an NC so far. Teched to physics and steel skipping Civil Service. I have also completed right honor completely. I conquered RIO from Monte as well, but lost most of my early immortals this way too. I was hoping to stay peaceful while I upgraded to muskets and cannons in about 20 turns from now, but Egypt and Monte just tag teamed me and I think my immortals are all going to die keeping them away. Probably going to lose 2-3 cities too, they look cranky and have been preparing for me. However, I am loving blanketing these cities with my carpets of doom and am looking forward to the next 150-200 turns it will take me to win this.

I am kind of concerned that I can't get any money out of them in Peace Deals though. What do I have to do get them to fork over the cash? My military is big, but I guess not the biggest so maybe that is one reason. I just don't know though.

I would like to note that C is a high bar:

I missed out on Taj, that was the deal breaker, I would have cleared 100 easily with it

Yeah, I think you need at least 4 of (Liberty GA, Taj, Chichen, Aesthetics GA, Aesth Artist, Louvre, WF) so that GA turns aren't the bottleneck. I didn't think about the Louvre artist until after my game. For very fast games getting 4 natural artists might be a problem.

Yeah, I think you need at least 4 of (Liberty GA, Taj, Chichen, Aesthetics GA, Aesth Artist, Louvre, WF) so that GA turns aren't the bottleneck. I didn't think about the Louvre artist until after my game. For very fast games getting 4 natural artists might be a problem.

It is doable with Chichen + Liberty GA + WF for me, but it depends on actually getting lucky with early accessible Chichen Itza. Did not get LtoP until late and also went Autocracy, so GA generation wasn't the quickest. Goal was reached by turn 230-240.

I will hit at least 106 turns - 2 natural GAges by 142, 2 GA's burned at 12 each, one more after conquering Chichen for 16, 3rd natural (88 happy!) for 20, and one banked for another 16 soon. I passed Arts Funding to slow AI tech and get more GPs, so I may get yet another before the end.

I have never seen such competition for WF - it only took 2-3 turns, I had 763 hammers, there were 4 other silvers (548, 456, 402, and 385).

cdg 2 is Assyria Science and will be posted on the 15th

Are the achievements up for discussion at all? I would like to see one or two tied to UA/UU/UB. The only thing I can think of 1 achievement point for each different AI that the player steals a technology from.

Are the achievements up for discussion at all? I would like to see one or two tied to UA/UU/UB. The only thing I can think of 1 achievement point for each different AI that the player steals a technology from.

Consentient already made the achievements for #2 and I'd suggest we leave his contributions there as is.

However, I would very much like to see an emphasis on the UA/UU/UB for future maps, which I feel was done well in this first one. I realize that is easier with some civs and more difficult with others.

Consentient already made the achievements for #2 and I'd suggest we leave his contributions there as is.

That is okay with me, since he is not available for petitioning.

However, I would very much like to see an emphasis on the UA/UU/UB for future maps, which I feel was done well in this first one. I realize that is easier with some civs and more difficult with others.

I concur with all three of those points.

I'd leave achievements as is, they're quite alright

They are quite alright for any SV. They just don’t offer any particular synergy for Assyria.

t284 DomV - B,C,E
Spoiler :
After Onondaga t240 I attacked India, ran all my units by Kilimanjaro, Delhi t252, and took/sold all his continental cities then waited to bulb Rocketry. Got it just as my DOF ended with Mor, and it was time for some whoop-a$$. I must have killed 30 of his GWBs between my Fighters and SAMs. Got Marrakech t275, lost and retook t276. I had totally forgotten about the score objective, so I quit selling/gifting cities to Pedro finally.

I had to leave most of my veteran units in Mor because I couldn't tell what was in the fog, and I barely had a navy, and everyone had subs, CVs, and BBs. Eliminated Monte because he was in my way getting some troops W from the India campaign. I took Egypt in 3 turns from the S and E, it was very silly with 7 Bombers, 10 Tanks, 8 Rarty (forgot and left a couple fortified, LOL). I could have won a couple turns earlier, but I wanted Pentagon - Tanks upgrades were only 20g, so it was stupid to wait!

A - I only made 3 Immortals, and I screwed up the mod loading early, so they wouldn't upgrade correctly anyway. - 0 pts.

B - Razed 16 of Cathy's cities and 2 of Monte's? - 2 pts.

C - 110 turns of GAges - 3 pts.

D - I built range early - 0 pts.

E - Base score of 4501 - 3 pts.

Full Tradition, Full Honor, Rat 3 (Sec and Sov), 8 in Autocracy, and that was after being the 3rd to it (that's a first). The Russian cities were production monsters - I never even ran any scientists, I just wanted them to get big and produce. Moscow at pop 21 was not far behind my pop 37 cap. I never hit negative happy until the last two cities. :cool:

Other fun tidbits - Almaty puppeted Monaco late game, one of those weird CS perma-wars for no reason. Cathy DOW'd me again with her lone island. I helped several CS take cities but all were razing. I liberated cities for 3 civs, probably a first.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• CDG-01_Persia.jpg
    CDG-01_Persia.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 253
Hello I'm back!

My DCL playthroughplans where to big of a project. But here we start on a new blank page, I like it. Some questions pops to mind:
Is there a end date of each map?
Suggested VC, will it affect achivements if I use another VC (or pherhaps don't win at all)?
Is it the same hounor rules that applied to DCL? Regarding restarting etc

The general consensus was that you really should win the suggested VC. As you can see, it's hardly a hassle ;)

as for restarting, I kind of can't control that even if I knew the game was ever reloaded or not. My estimation is that everyone does it more or less and I don't consider it a big deal

Top Bottom